What would be the perfect flying show?

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
I have made snide comments about the manufactured drama on Flying Wild Alaska, Ice Pilots, etc. , and it started me wondering, : what would be the perfect flying show for pilots? Most of the stuff seen on TV is written for the general public and is full of gee whiz and meaningless comparisons. You have been given a zillion dollars and a camera crew. What's your show?

Mine:

Touring the US visiting local 'dromes and poking about in classic airplanes. In depth analysis of how they were developed and designed, their operational history and in depth technical tips and demonstrations on getting the most out of them by pilots who know what they are doing.

I have made snide comments about the manufactured drama on Flying Wild Alaska, Ice Pilots, etc. , and it started me wondering, : what would be the perfect flying show for pilots? Most of the stuff seen on TV is written for the general public and is full of gee whiz and meaningless comparisons. You have been given a zillion dollars and a camera crew. What's your show?

Mine:

Touring the US visiting local 'dromes and poking about in classic airplanes. In depth analysis of how they were developed and designed, their operational history and in depth technical tips and demonstrations on getting the most out of them by pilots who know what they are doing.

You won't get massive ratings, but I'd happily watch.

You won't get massive ratings, but I'd happily watch.

Yeah, the audience demographic for real flying is too small to pull an audience that any advertiser would be bothered with, which is why each week I would have the bikini girls wash and wax the featured plane. :D

You'll hear this complaint all the time from hobbyists: that movie was terrible real stamp collecting is nothing like that. Insert past time of choice, truth is most of what people do is boring to watch.

"Aviation pickers" rummaging old hangar hoarder's good stuff. show some builders and their projects.

Wikipedia entry from sometime in the future:

"Air Route 66, is an American TV sries in which two young women, Stiles and Murdock, fly across the U.S. in their light sport airplane, encountering different situations and struggles. The show ran from 20xx to 20xx+4."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_66_(TV_series)

Mine:

That's sort of what we had in mind with The Aviators. Bearing in mind, of course, that you can't have too much pilot-speak without a little more explanation for those who aren't yet a member of our community that we'd certainly welcome to join.

Anthony

Wish they had a Top Gear type show for airplanes.

Keep an eye out for the T-6 segment from Stallion 51 in episode 301 and the follow up in the P-51 in episode 302. We gave those a very cinematic look with Top Gear in mind.

Anthony

Follow kitbuilders from parts inventory to airworthiness flight. Follow new student pilots from first flight to checkride (include some of the setbacks/pitfalls every student pilot experiences - including failed checkrides). Follow pilots through IR or SES training. Have segments where some of the kitbuilt makers are interviewed to show how they arrived at the final plan. Interview Rutan and some of the other non-fluff civil space venture movers/shakers. Do a segment on the fall of certificated GA industry, and the shift from certificated aircraft to experimentals. Include an NTSB bite that does a 10-minute highlite on each show of a crash, what went wrong, what went right, how it could have been prevented.

Last edited:

Now we're talkin'.

Top Gear, although sometimes a bit staged, is always awesome. No frills, lots of good engine noises, no annoying music in the middle of my engine noise, lots of speed, and then a test of the car by their tamed racing driver. Plus, they have tons of neat challenges, like trying to out-do the navigation system of a Ford Focus using a pigeon.

Follow someone on a literally cross country trip. Gives lots of different weather terrain and conditions to discuss. Showcase real flying and the small town airports where they stop for the night.

Or,

Ohio Bush Planes

Somebody that is involved in an aviation show needs to be in here taking notes. :popcorn:

The Aviators

I think they should travel around the country with a behind the scenes look at air show performers. Kinda like Blue Angels: A Year in The Life only with other civilian performers as well.

That's sort of what we had in mind with The Aviators. Bearing in mind, of course, that you can't have too much pilot-speak without a little more explanation for those who aren't yet a member of our community that we'd certainly welcome to join.

Anthony

You need to send a PA to Oregon Public Broadcasting headquarters and camp in the lobby until they pick you up. :yesnod:

"America's Next Top Pilot"
"So You Think You Can Fly?"
"Flying With The Stars"

"Aviation pickers" rummaging old hangar hoarder's good stuff. show some builders and their projects.

Fly from place to place in a Tri Motor or something similarly cool, might make half a season.

Air Boss looks pretty cool.

I like "So you think you can fly?" idea too.

I could watch youtube videos of breakfast and hamburger fly-ins all day long.

Get Harrison Ford to do a flying show. I read somewhere that he prefers to be known as a pilot than as an actor... ;)

Plus, they have tons of neat challenges, like trying to out-do the navigation system of a Ford Focus using a pigeon.

The episodes where the UK hosts must travel across a large land in cars that might just not make it, but are also forced to modify them while on the journey and complete some challenges are always fun to watch.

The one in the Middle East and in Viet Nam for example.

How would you replicate that with aircraft?

The History Channel has had aviation related episodes in the past that I've found interesting.

Now we're talkin'.

Top Gear, although sometimes a bit staged, is always awesome. No frills, lots of good engine noises, no annoying music in the middle of my engine noise, lots of speed, and then a test of the car by their tamed racing driver. Plus, they have tons of neat challenges, like trying to out-do the navigation system of a Ford Focus using a pigeon.

Tame Racing Pilot...

"Some say his skin has the texture of a dolphin's, and that wherever you are in the world, if you tune your radio to 118.1, you can actually hear his thoughts... all we know is, he's called the Henning."

I wouldn't mind seeing a show that's about everyday life inside of an aviation shop, them working on the engines, airframes, upgrading avionics, stuff like that.

[FONT=&quot]I would like to see a show that really highlights the purpose of General Aviation and what it does for the country / world. For instance highlight the Civil Air Patrol and their activities along with rescue groups that transport animals and the veterans assistance programs. There are so many private and commercial pilots making a difference in this world and the only ones that are in tune to it are their peers. If we want to save General Aviation we need to involve the rest of the population. Using some the Public Figures (actors / Political figures / etc.) would be another way to increase interest. They can even highlight the many relief efforts across the world where GA pilots volunteer their time and resources to help out disaster relief workers. In the minds of many people aviation is synonymous with greedy companies and incompetence. This of course is due to the media coverage and the ever-increasing cost of air travel and tightened security. Lets change this by telling the other stories and not focusing on the bailouts and bankruptcies. [/FONT]

Tonight! A Cessna 172 gets an o-ring replaced on its shimmy damper, a Cirrus pilot pulls the oh **** handle in his plane, and we choose a random passer-by to experience their first flight lesson!

You need to send a PA to Oregon Public Broadcasting headquarters and camp in the lobby until they pick you up. :yesnod:

I've got news for ya. They don't listen to producers... but they DO listen, with big ears, to viewers! A couple of dozen emails from a local flight school or flying club has changed the mind of many an anti-engine-noise program director.

and we choose a random passer-by to experience their first flight lesson!

Hey! We just finished filming this. We also interviewed 'the public' on their perceptions of GA like what happens when an airplane's engine goes out while flying. One of the responses - we're gonna die!

Keep an eye out for the T-6 segment from Stallion 51 in episode 301 and the follow up in the P-51 in episode 302. We gave those a very cinematic look with Top Gear in mind.

Anthony

Will take a look.

Hey! We just finished filming this. We also interviewed 'the public' on their perceptions of GA like what happens when an airplane's engine goes out while flying. One of the responses - we're gonna die!

I made a point of putting that fairy tale to bed before even pulling the plane out of the hangar when I took some folks flying last week.

They'll find some guy who knows what the's doing and dress him up in white.

Some say that he flew a Spitifre...

Actually, I think he flew a Hurricane. :D

Back