What will you sacrifice this Christmas?

What will you sacrifice this Christmas?

• Total voters
Nothing. Some people already decreed all the sacrifices I can handle for a year or two.

Also, in some faith traditions Advent and Christmas are not times of sacrifice, but times of feasting

And if pseudo politics and pseudo religion don't answer the question: We'll be eating Ham.

There actually is no Christmas equivalent holidays in Santeria. There are several saint holidays throughout the year, but Nicholas is not one of them.

We’ll be sacrificing part of a cow. Doing hamburger steaks, along with a few other goodies for dinner.

I'm doing the shrimp, scallops, oysters, crab claws, lobster tail and Scotch.
I think others will be bring a couple of salads, but I doubt I'll have room for that.

Sacrificed a turkey a while ago. Now sacrificing some apples baked into a pie. Along with coffee with some eggnog in it. Sitting in front of a fire with my visiting son, watching “The Bishop’s Wife.”

The wife and I escaped away to an Inn in the White Moubtains. Had crackers, cheese, sliced pepperoni and some adult beverages for lunch. Took a nap, now we're getting Indian take out for dinner. One of the best Christmases I've had in a while.

Haven't had scungilli in years.

I used to dive for conch, but I never knew packaged conch was a thing, until now. If the shell was nice, we got them for the shell. Otherwise, you have to smash the shell to get the conch in an edible form.

I’ve given up Avgas.

Definitely not giving up because racecar.

Let's see, we smoked a ham, a turkey, chicken in the stuffed jalepeno poppers wrapped in bacon, and brisket. Deer chili for tomorrow. That covers most of the usual land mammal sacrifices.

We gave no presents this year, but instead donated the entire budget to two local food banks.
There's some serious s_it going on out there....
As a family we have wanted to do this. Unfortunately, one member of the family is not on board with it. So it leaves us in a dilemma.

Technically, if you ate it, it wasn't a sacrifice. Now, if you left milk and cookies out for Santa, and didn't sneak them down in the early morning hours, that would be a sacrifice.

Ya got me there, but bear in mind my context is Santeria, which doesn't exactly follow the Christian teachings to a tee.

Uh, just how studied are you in your Santeria faith?

"Animals are cooked and eaten following all Santeria rituals (except healing and death rites, where the sickness is believed to pass into the dead animal). Eating the sacrificed animal is considered a sharing with the Orisha, who only consumes the animal's blood, while the worshippers eat the meat."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/santeria/ritesrituals/sacrifice.shtml

Uh, just how studied are you in your Santeria faith?

"Animals are cooked and eaten following all Santeria rituals (except healing and death rites, where the sickness is believed to pass into the dead animal). Eating the sacrificed animal is considered a sharing with the Orisha, who only consumes the animal's blood, while the worshippers eat the meat."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/santeria/ritesrituals/sacrifice.shtml

That is the first thing that pops up in Google, but I think it is incorrect. Bear in mind that practices differ somewhat depending on locale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santeria

Sanity.

I get extremely bored during Christmas. I used to work on Christmas and New Years when I was single so others could be with family. Now I am not single and defiantly not near the bottom of the seniority list, so I get too much time off and it drives me nuts. I have been working on a business project for almost a year, and can't get anything done because the other folks are all off.

When I am elected king of the world, there will be no more 40 hour work weeks. 60 hours a week will be considered part time. You will get one day off a week, 15 minute longer lunch break on Thanksgiving and half a day off for Christmas. You will need to plan your own funeral, and make sure you die when it is convenient to others so no one misses any work.

I did say I get bored.....:lol::lol:

When I am elected king of the world, there will be no more 40 hour work weeks. 60 hours a week will be considered part time. You will get one day off a week, 15 minute longer lunch break on Thanksgiving and half a day off for Christmas. You will need to plan your own funeral, and make sure you die when it is convenient to others so no one misses any work.

You ain't getting my vote.

Last edited:
Sanity.

I get extremely bored during Christmas. I used to work on Christmas and New Years when I was single so others could be with family. Now I am not single and defiantly not near the bottom of the seniority list, so I get too much time off and it drives me nuts. I have been working on a business project for almost a year, and can't get anything done because the other folks are all off.

Sounds worse than Communism. LOL

Sanity.

That’s pretty much a history lesson. The Robber Barons are turnin in the grave sayin damn, why didn’t I think of an extra 15 minute lunch for Thanksgiving instead of giving the lazy bastiges the day off.

When I am elected king of the world, there will be no more 40 hour work weeks. 60 hours a week will be considered part time. You will get one day off a week, 15 minute longer lunch break on Thanksgiving and half a day off for Christmas.

Prior to retiring, I would gladly have accepted such a generous reduction in hours.

I did a LOT of proposals for the USG in my last several years working. Here's how bidding in the 4Q of the calendar year works. If the USG team doesn't get the RFP out before the holidays, they end up working over the break. If they do get the RFP out, the contractor has to work over the break to respond. Which of these is the most common occurrence is left as an exercise for the student.

Once working on a bid for the Army, their contracting officer told me directly that if we didn't receive the RFP by 12/20 it wouldn't come until after New Years. At the end of the day on 12/21 there was no RFP and I turned my team loose, and they departed town for destinations far and wide. Guess what arrived on 12/22? Grumble grumble grumble......

Prior to retiring, I would gladly have accepted such a generous reduction in hours.

I did a LOT of proposals for the USG in my last several years working. Here's how bidding in the 4Q of the calendar year works. If the USG team doesn't get the RFP out before the holidays, they end up working over the break. If they do get the RFP out, the contractor has to work over the break to respond. Which of these is the most common occurrence is left as an exercise for the student.

Once working on a bid for the Army, their contracting officer told me directly that if we didn't receive the RFP by 12/20 it wouldn't come until after New Years. At the end of the day on 12/21 there was no RFP and I turned my team loose, and they departed town for destinations far and wide. Guess what arrived on 12/22? Grumble grumble grumble......

As the Chief Engineer of the USAF Advanced Tactical Fighter, I was charged with writing the Technical part of the RFP for the Full Scale Development. I always heard wailing and gnashing of teeth by the contractors over the VOLUMINOUS and DETAILED REAMS of TECHNICAL DETAIL required by the INFERNAL GOVERNMENT at ASTRONOMICAL COST.

Since I and my team had spent the better part of five years working with Northrop, Lockheed, GE and Pratt and Whitney and also watched four Prototypes fly and be compared to the contractors’ predictions and had pretty d*** good idea what they could or couldn’t do, I decided there would be NO TECHNICAL VOLUME. Just the specifications and development plan which would be put on contract. No pages and pages and pages of technical bafflegab which is totally meaningless since it is never put on contact and thus no obligation to actually do what it said. It was also near the holiday season so nobody would have to generate, proofread, rewrite again and again and deliver. My General Officer Boss agreed and said instructions were in the Draft RFP we issued.

All four contractors demanded they be ordered to deliver these formidable but meaningless Documents at some probably exorbitant price to produce. I said ok, but no more than 200 pages. More WHINING and so it was 300 Pages, including fold outs, pictures, tables etc.

Never read one page of it.

Cheers

I thought the Jet-A burning MU2 came along long before this Christmas.

I’ve given up jet A too, but I haven’t given up diesel.

As the Chief Engineer of the USAF Advanced Tactical Fighter, I was charged with writing the Technical part of the RFP for the Full Scale Development. I always heard wailing and gnashing of teeth by the contractors over the VOLUMINOUS and DETAILED REAMS of TECHNICAL DETAIL required by the INFERNAL GOVERNMENT at ASTRONOMICAL COST.

Since I and my team had spent the better part of five years working with Northrop, Lockheed, GE and Pratt and Whitney and also watched four Prototypes fly and be compared to the contractors’ predictions and had pretty d*** good idea what they could or couldn’t do, I decided there would be NO TECHNICAL VOLUME. Just the specifications and development plan which would be put on contract. No pages and pages and pages of technical bafflegab which is totally meaningless since it is never put on contact and thus no obligation to actually do what it said. It was also near the holiday season so nobody would have to generate, proofread, rewrite again and again and deliver. My General Officer Boss agreed and said instructions were in the Draft RFP we issued.

All four contractors demanded they be ordered to deliver these formidable but meaningless Documents at some probably exorbitant price to produce. I said ok, but no more than 200 pages. More WHINING and so it was 300 Pages, including fold outs, pictures, tables etc.

Never read one page of it.

Cheers

You can probably turn that in to a movie.

One that I'd watch...

A goose.
My annual revenge on the feathered demons who victimized me when I spent summers at my uncles farm.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Back