What was your closest call?

I once flew into snow clouds while not instrument rated and above rugged terrain. I backtracked and popped back into open in about 10 minutes, in time to navigate a gap in a ridge through which I came.

That was back when I had less than 100 hours and nothing like that occured since.

I once flew into snow clouds while not instrument rated and above rugged terrain. I backtracked and popped back into open in about 10 minutes, in time to navigate a gap in a ridge through which I came.

That was back when I had less than 100 hours and nothing like that occured since.

I bet that was a white knuckle experience.
You are lucky

I bet that was a white knuckle experience. You are lucky

Ha! That's NOTHING ... I once ate a breakfast burrito that hit (food poisoning?) 30 minutes after lift off with my CFI. The worst potential "accident" was moments away ... I'm sure I had more sweat than the guy in the movie "Airplane" rolling off .... by shear miracle I was able to land and make the FBO. During taxi to the FBO I realized there were no concealing bushes available and the pattern was full that day.:yikes: Fastest shutdown EVER and probably first time ever a CFI was told "your plane" after shutdown;)

While training IFR I was in IMC and just got the outer marker on the Oxnard ILS. we were IMC and popping in and out of the clouds, I still had goggles on. My CFII told me we would be out of the clouds soon then all of a sudden we yells WTF. He keyed the mic to Oxnard tower and asked what airplane was near us, Oxnard told him they were not talking to them. My CFII then told them to contact Camarillo and get the tail number, we missed a head on by less then 75 feet and that plane should have been on a IFR flight since both airports were IMC. I can say I was shaken up and I didn't even see the plane. After the missed at Oxnard we went back to Camarillo and the tower had already called in the FAA. I never did hear what happened to the other pilot if anything.

While training IFR I was in IMC and just got the outer marker on the Oxnard ILS. we were IMC and popping in and out of the clouds, I still had goggles on. My CFII told me we would be out of the clouds soon then all of a sudden we yells WTF. He keyed the mic to Oxnard tower and asked what airplane was near us, Oxnard told him they were not talking to them. My CFII then told them to contact Camarillo and get the tail number, we missed a head on by less then 75 feet and that plane should have been on a IFR flight since both airports were IMC. I can say I was shaken up and I didn't even see the plane. After the missed at Oxnard we went back to Camarillo and the tower had already called in the FAA. I never did hear what happened to the other pilot if anything.
That's crazy. I hope nothing like that happens to me. I just got my Instrument rating in september but haven't really gotten good IFR days here without the plane turning into a snowball. You said you were IMC but still wearing foggles?:dunno: Just curious, why were you using them?

Back