What was the first record you ever bought?

Spiritinthesky

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Spiritinthesky
I'll go first - The Beach Boys - God Only Knows.

I'm old enough to know what a record is, but young enough to have never bought one.

Don't remember what it was, but I'm certain it was a 78 RPM. Yep; I'm over the hill. :yes::D

Got it when I got the record player, Oak Ridge Boys Elvira. No, I'm not a fan and never was. have no idea why I got that one, I suppose my parents had something to do with it.

Well I didn't actually buy it....I was a little kid going thru my parents collection when this cool looking prism caught my eye. "Cool!", I said, and Floyd has been my favorite band to this day.

Can't remember the first record, but the first "music" I purchased was an 8 track of the Who's~Who are you...

First 45 I bought: I think it was the Box Tops The Letter.
First album: the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack

My son was hanging out in a flea market once and someone gave him an old 8 track player. Then when he saw 8 tracks he'd talk to people and most of them gave them the 8 tracks they had. He had a very interesting collection of music given the format. I'd alternatively finding listening to Steppenwolf and the Partridge Family.

Tax Man, Beetles. I won it at a cake walk in the 3 rd grade. :D

Thanks for the memory!

Records were out by the time I came along. So were 8-tracks. The first cassette I bought was Huey Lewis and the News - Sports.

Nancy Sinatra. These Boots Were Made For Walking. The flip side was The City Never Sleeps At Night.

The first album I ever bought was The James Gang, Rides Again when I was 14 (it had already been out for four years).

I don't recall what the first 45 was.

Edit:

Ok...now that I think about it...I asked for and received, for my sixth or seventh birthday...are you ready for this?...

Herman's Hermits, I Henry VIII, I Am.

My taste in music improved just a touch over those eight years...actually music improved by leaps and bounds in that timeframe...only to go back downhill during my high school years into the deep dark recesses of Foreigner, Journey, Styx, etc. By then rock was simply following the money and no heart and soul remained.

Last edited:
1964:

Today_front.jpg

I don't know that I actually bought music before CD's came out. I used to buy blank cassettes and record albums off the radio a lot.

Can't remember which was first, but it was either The soundtrack to Old Yeller or Christmas with the Chipmunks.

Probably Jan and Dean.... And maybe a day later, the Beachboys...

I've only bought one vinyl record in my life. It was LL Cool J's Going Back to Cali.

Grand Funk Railroad . . . . E Pluribus Funk.

Explains a lot of my subsequent musical taste . . .

Oh boy, another age thread. I have no idea any more what the first one I bought was. I am sure it was a 33 though. Wow, memory loss at 42! :no:

David

It was a 45 - Chubby Checker's Twist and Shout. I had 50-60 45s. I wonder where they all wound up?

First gift I recall is Delta Dawn and the Welcome back kotter theme! First purchase I think was Glass Houses, Billy Joel, must have been 12 or 13!

Surfin' Safari on the A side, and maybe it was 409 on the B? Early 60s.

Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow.

The first record that I bought was Jimi Hendrix, experience and it went downhill from there. And I now have a rather eclectic mix on vinyl, From the Allman Brothers to Ziggy. And some of the older ones I have two copies, one never opened.

Back