What type of Plane for this Mission

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
After some reflection, I realized that I have never properly understood and thusly communicated my true mission as a pilot. When I flew, it was usually with full passengers and bags to get to a destination 1hour away. Other times I fly, its just to maintain 90 day currency so I can do my typical mission.

Due to changes in my family life, my mission profile has changed. I've also disposed of my ownership stake in a C-172SP that I've had for the last 4 years. I didn't put as many hours on it as I envisioned. Now, my 80%+ mission should be to simply to burn AvGas (or MoGas, which I'm not sure is locally available) experiencing the joy of flight and improving my aviation skills. In order to do this more often, my ideal airplane should be inexpensive to purchase, own and operate.

With that stated, I should be looking for a two seater airplane in the low power category, but also something that possibly I can train for my IR and take the checkride in. I think 3hrs endurance (2 + 1hr reserve) should be sufficient for calculating gross weight along with 2 grown men. Since it will be based inside the DC-FRZ I require a radio and Mode-C capabilities as a minimum.

I can live without /G or autopilot, but it was certainly nice having them in the Skyhawk. I haven't thought about a budget yet, but I've seen many really cheap airplanes with decent equipment on some of the sales websites.

Any suggestions?

Just to be different, consider a Piper Pacer, Tri-Pacer or Colt. Inexpensive to buy and operate and fun to fly. The later (1956-on) models have a tall instrument panel which has more than enough real estate for any IFR equipment you might wish for.

Mark

A Cessna 150 or 152 with IFR. Really though, your Skyhawk was pretty close. Pull the power back and it will sip gas (true of any plane). I get 5.5 gph out of my Lycoming 0360 by running 37% power. Saves the engine too!

all in all that sounds to me like you want the 172 back

Until I got to the IFR part, I was going to suggest a Quicksilver MXII with a set a of amphibs. Once you toss the IFR in though, I'm not sure what you're going to get into that is better and cheaper than what you just got out of. :dunno: Maybe an RV-4 or 6 with a Dynon or G-3x? Not "cheap", but when you add IFR to the mission requirements, the mission ain't cheap and simple "punching holes in the sky" anymore either.

Just get another 172 or your share in the SP back. Sounds like a pretty good 172 mission.

all in all that sounds to me like you want the 172 back
Yes, though you can probably get a nice Cherokee 140 for less. Capable as a 2-seater, with the option of carrying a third person (or two kids) on a short trip if the need arose. In the 1969 and later models ("Cherokee 140B" and later) you get a good IFR panel layout, too.

My largest motive to get out of the C-172 was the based location. It was inconvenient for me to just hop over to the airport and get in a quick flight, so I never did. I need to be able to maintain better than minimum standards proficiency and get on to flying just for the fun of it. Lowered expenses would help in that regard. I'm read about the Liberty XL2, which allegedly would cost about $5700/yr for a pilot who flew 100hrs/year. For those same 100hrs, the 172 would cost me ~$9300. I might have put about 75 (edited) 100 hours on the C-172 in 4 years, I'd have to break out my logbook (which is at home) to know for sure.

With a lowered cost and better accessibility, I believe closer to 75-100hrs/year would be doable for me and would allow me to maintain and/or improve my proficiency/safety and have fun doing it without fretting the cost of doing business.

Last edited:
What about renting or club membership vice ownership? Personally I think you're being overly optimistic about the big annual jump in hours.

I like my Liberty xl 2 ,it's fully IFR and makes a great IFR trainer,great fuel burn. They are starting to hit the used market at some good prices. I'm good for over 160 hrs a year,and average fuel burn is 5.2 gph.

Last edited:
Is there no one with a plane on the local field you can buy into?

Is go one of two ways.

A C140, Maule, Stinson, C170, with a IFR panel.

Or

High power Glasair or Lancair RG maybe a nanchang, with a dynon skyview glass panel.

These days I'd probably go experimental for you mission, better bang for the buck.

And less expensive if you need/want to upgrade an avionic item.

That is why I would probably look for an RV-4 or 6 for a 2 place IFR capable plane. My requirements to be comfortable IFR are a lot more than minimum. With an RV I can get a damned nice and fully capable panel and coupled autopilot, most expensive piece of equipment required for full functionality being a 430w (though a 750 would be nicer). For <$20k I can put together an awesome panel that would cost over $70k to match in in a certified plane, and not end up with as nice of equipment. A lot of the RVs for sale are already equipped even.

Back