What Type of Chart Is This??

Zoomed in is what I'm used to seeing. When you zoom out, detail is lost for clarity as the writing must be big enough to read.

I thought those only covered airports in the vicinity of class B?

These seems far more extensive. Perhaps there just perfectly concatenated with one another?

I thought those only covered airports in the vicinity of class B?

These seems far more extensive. Perhaps there just perfectly concatenated with one another?

Looks like the Denver and Colorado Springs TACs abut each other.

There is a Colorado Springs terminal area chart printed on the same sheet as the Denver TAC. No extra charge!

looks like a digital TAC when zoomed in with a chart that has a TAC -

in other places it is just one of the new digital sectionals . . .

My home airport popped up when I clicked the link. Was that just a coincidence or did it do that for everyone who clicked it? KHUM.

It looks like this website, vfrmap.com, includes World Aeronatical Charts (WAC), Sectionals, and Terminal Area Charts (TACs). Their scale is successively more detailed, i.e. 1:1,000,000 for a WAC, then 1:500,000 for a Sectional, and finally, 1:250,000 for a TAC.

In non-TAC areas, I think you're seeing it change from the less-detailed WAC to an ordinary, albeit more detailed sectional (two steps).

In TAC areas, you're seeing it change from the less-detailed WAC, to an ordinary, albeit more detailed sectional, and finally to the most-detailed TAC (three steps).

I just looked, and it looks like skyvector.com doesn't display the WAC charts, so you don't get the more detailed effect when zooming in and out in a non-TAC area.

All of the above is "I think..."

The LA terminal area chart is huge. It runs all the way from Santa Barbara on the west side to Banning on the east. It encompasses not only the LA Class B but also the surrounding class C airspaces.

It's always been the "Terminal Area Chart" not the "TCA Chart" as people commonly used to call it.

Looks like the Denver and Colorado Springs TACs abut each other.
They combined the Denver Class B and Colorado Springs Class C, an area which also includes substantial military training, into a single TAC a few years ago.

Like a number of apps out there, vfrmap.com uses zoom to move from WAC to Sectional to TAC.

My home airport popped up when I clicked the link. Was that just a coincidence or did it do that for everyone who clicked it? KHUM.

No coincidence.
IF you have visited VFRmap.com before, it remembers your last viewed chart.
So a link to the main page is not correct in the original post.

We would need a specific link to a specific area with specific zoom set.

http://vfrmap.com/

If you select hybrid VFR and zoom in, you'll see a sectional with much more detail.

What type of chart is this?

It's a hybrid that eliminates sectional info not needed for VFR flight. Airspace, MOAs, and frequencies are made easier to see.

http://vfrmap.com/

If you select hybrid VFR and zoom in, you'll see a sectional with much more detail.

What type of chart is this?

Oh I see what's going on. It's actually a standard sectional in the view and zoom in the link, but if you zoom out then it reverts to a WAC chart.

Here's a question: Indianapolis doesn't have a TAC, but when you zoom in on KIND (and the surrounding area) it switches to TAC-like detail.

Here's a question: Indianapolis doesn't have a TAC, but when you zoom in on KIND (and the surrounding area) it switches to TAC-like detail.

See the white square around KIND when you zoom in to sectional level? That is the TAC boundary.

sectional.gif

Indianapolis doesn't have coverage though? Where are they getting this TAC?

It's an inset to the St Louis sectional. Not it's own paper chart, but included on the sectional

sectional.gif

See that overlap on the St. Louis and Cincinnati sectionals? It's in there, but not explicitly shown.

There's the answer! Thank you--I knew there was a rationale explanation to this.

That's a nice site!

Back