What to wear?

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
So, I have the oral portion of the checkride tomorrow (almost certainly not the practical due to weather), and I'm not sure what to wear--the CFI said something "appropriate"--would you guys suggest khakis and collared shirt w/sweater or a tie and button up? Or something else?

I'm sure your first suggestion would be fine, I don't think there is any need for a tie and suit.

High heels and a short skirt. Lots of make-up. It's all about making a first impression that lasts.

'Business Casual' seems to be the norm, although I did my last rating in board shorts, t-shirt and life jacket; barefoot lol.

As long as you look confident, serious and organized, that's all that matters.

High heels and a short skirt. Lots of make-up. It's all about making a first impression that lasts.

Darn--I knew I shouldn't have left that outfit at the party last night! I think I'll just have to go with the lime green spandex and throw on Henning's life vest instead. That or an all out navy flight suit--complete with O2 just in case I get lightheaded with anxiety for the ground portion.

I was advised "business casual" and did so. You're trying to make the DPE comfortable with you behind the yoke of an airplane, with all that entails. It's rare to be penalized for looking too professional.

Some great advice from my CFI - practice with your dress shoes! I normally fly in running shoes and pedal feel in dress shoes is different.

Last edited:
I think I wore jeans and a ripped tee for my checkride. Not quite sure why the DPE would be concerned about what you wear, as it is immaterial to your skills as a pilot.

I was advised "business casual" and did so. You're trying to make the DPE comfortable with you behind the yoke of an airplane, with all that entails. It's rare to be penalized for looking too professional.

Some great advice from my CFI - practice with your dress shoes! I normally fly in running shoes and pedal feel in dress shoes is different.

I always take my shoes off when I fly. No complaints so far.

*looks at picture with DPE*

Faded ratty jeans,
Stained t shirt
Leather jacket
Sweat stained AOPA hat
Hiking boots
About a foot of completely unkempt hair

Birthday suit. Maybe a G-string and pasties if you're feeling bashful.

Seriously, it doesn't matter. Wear something you can fly comfortably in. No high heels.

Epaulets. Why wait? you know you are going to pass. Put them on in the morning and strut like the licensed pilot you will soon be...

Birthday suit. Maybe a G-string and pasties if you're feeling bashful.

Seriously, it doesn't matter. Wear something you can fly comfortably in. No high heels.
There is a front and back to a g string, so I am told

Epaulets. Why wait? you know you are going to pass. Put them on in the morning and strut like the licensed pilot you will soon be...

Oh yeah, goes without saying. I've taken a few (8) of my shirts and sewn flaps to put them on. I also got 5 bar epaulettes because I will be the best pilot ever in history one day. I have been wearing them everywhere since I got my student license and will upgrade to 6 gold bars after the flight. Everyone stares at me at the airport because they know I'm so amazing. My only competition is this guy: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/199172/1/#1

Last edited:
I'm planning on the Amelia Earhart style for mine when the day comes. I vote epaulettes though!

Business casual. I usually avoid synthetic fabrics, if you've ever seen what a small flame does to them you know why. Which is why I wear leather shoes, too.

Don't forget the big-axx pilot watch and sunglasses.

*looks at picture with DPE*

Faded ratty jeans,
Stained t shirt
Leather jacket
Sweat stained AOPA hat
Hiking boots
About a foot of completely unkempt hair

Don't have a picture of that specific event, but since I wore the same thing every day it's a safe bet that I was wearing bell bottom jeans, a dark blue work shirt and cowboy boots.

(Me on the left)
15%2520Marquett_Outbound.jpg

Based on our current government philosophies, you should cross dress. Then, you could sue if they failed you for discrimination.

There is no dress code for taking a checkride. This isn't a job interview. The examiner is there to examine your flying and is not judging you based on whether or not you matched your shirt to your shoes.

Granted, I threw on something I would normally wear to work: a sweater and nice jeans. For my flight I had on a plaid jacket with elbow pads hahaha. My instructor took one of her checkrides in sweatpants.

You're trying to make DFE feel safe with you as PIC , wear a tandem parachute.

Check out websites of various flight schools. Most of them have a photo gallery of students who have just soloed and students who have just passed their checkrides. You'll see what they wore.

Yeah the DPE was in a hoodie and saggy jeans with a hat so I think my business casual was even unnecessary. Certainly can't hurt though--I passed the oral and the flight portion is scheduled for Sunday when the wx should be better.

Wore shorts and a t shirt to my ppl ride (June in Phoenix) and wore a t shirt and jeans for my ifr ride. I passed both. I think as long as you don't show up in your birthday suit it won't matter.

Thirty-five years ago one of my buddies was teaching a female CFI who had an airline interview scheduled and needed to have her instrument rating knocked out before she showed up for it. (She received her CFI before an instrument rating was required and had been '"grandfathered".) A bunch of us were there at the flight school when she walked in, wearing a a see-through blouse, to meet with the DPE for the oral and instrument check ride. It was pretty blatent, but she passed the check ride (surprise, surprise) and ended up getting the airline job as well. Business casual would have been the more appropriate attire. :D That being said, like Henning, my last checkride was in cutoffs and flip-flops. Nobody flies floatplanes in business casual.

It's bad form to wear more epaulets than the examiner.

Aw nuts, if you can't wear epaulets, how will everyone at the party know that you're a pilot? ;)

Seriously - the pants suggestion was a good one. I put it in second place right after the cash thing.

I usually avoid synthetic fabrics, if you've ever seen what a small flame does to them you know why. Which is why I wear leather shoes, too.
Pretty good advice for all flying, not just for the practical test. And always dress (or at least carry) appropriate clothing to spend the night outside anywhere along your route of flight. There was an A-7 pilot out of NAS Lemoore who went out one warm spring day to hop over to the Fallon ranges and back, and ended up in the snow at about the 10,000 foot level of those big mountains east of the San Joaquin Valley dressed in nothing but his skivvies, socks, and flight suit and boots -- no jacket, hat (other than his flight cap in his pocket), gloves, etc. Not a happy camper, that lad.

Back