What to take into account when planning flight for a single pilot under part 135?

lpbellerose

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LP
I know single pilot is possible under part 135 and that many companies prefer to continue using dual pilots, but for those that have experience with single pilots operations, is there anything specific to take into account for flight planning when compared with normal two pilots operation? Is there any specific software you use to make the flight plan?

Flight planning is identical for single- and multi-pilot operations. The difference is simply division of duties and communication.

I know single pilot is possible under part 135 and that many companies prefer to continue using dual pilots, but for those that have experience with single pilots operations, is there anything specific to take into account for flight planning when compared with normal two pilots operation? Is there any specific software you use to make the flight plan?
There is a lot of variance between 135 operations. Among the simplest is a 6 nm flight from the mainland to an island you can see from the shore.

Or a flight to hunt a moose.

Last edited:
It may vary from company to company, but normally will be spelled out in your specific company's operating manual. At ours, for Part 135 IFR single pilot we had to have an operating autopilot.

There is a lot of variance between 135 operations. Among the simplest is a 6 nm flight from the mainland to an island you can see from the shore.

Or a flight to hunt a moose.

The context of going from point A to point B like the Island Air Taxi interest me more, but I'm searching for this info more in terms of a product development investigation specifically directed at flight planning for single pilot operations.

It may vary from company to company, but normally will be spelled out in your specific company's operating manual. At ours, for Part 135 IFR single pilot we had to have an operating autopilot.
Do you also submit a flight plan when flying in VFR?

Like stated above, it’s most likely laid out in the GOM or policies in a read & initial file…if they have one.

It’s typical stuff though. ForeFlight planning, W&B computer program, company risk assessment, approved NWS product, etc. I don’t file because I’m VFR but I believe they’re using FF or 1800wxbrief for IFR ops.

Biggest thing is, no one is there to catch your mistakes and no one is there to assist in nav/coms or EPs. Some of the former mil guys have growing pains going from dual pilot ops to single pilot ops. It’s all on your shoulders.

Do you also submit a flight plan when flying in VFR?

In the companies I have flown with, yes. But it was with company, usually the dispatch, not with the FAA.

Biggest thing is, no one is there to catch your mistakes

Well, the FAA got onto me about a paper work mistake once.

And a few other things I may or may not have done... :lol:

@lpbellerose , you're asking specifically about flight planning, but I don't know that single pilot flight planning is really any different than two-pilot planning. I mean, the routing is the same, fuel burn the same, etc.

If you expand the definition of flight planning to include things like a risk assessment matrix, then you'd have differences mainly with allowing for fatigue or complexity, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking.

And as mentioned above, Op Specs may limit what a single pilot can or can't do. Maybe higher minimums? I don't know, I haven't worked in single pilot 135.

Why do you ask? It seems like maybe you're looking at developing a new flight planning software product designed for single pilot use? I'm not sure how that would be different than two pilot use (where I'd imagine typically one pilot does the planning while the other does the preflight duties, like we do), but I'm curious what your ideas are.

What's your experience in single vs two pilot crews?

I fly SPIFR part 135 and have done so for the past 16 years or so. There is zero difference in flight planning. The biggest difference is realizing your autopilot is the PF and YOU are the PM.

@RussR It is about an idea software for optimization of single pilot operations. It is really exploratory in terms of what we are looking for, but specifically, I want to know what is different in terms of planning operations for a single pilot. Is there currently software oriented at this, how do people do it and so on? We could include the risk assessment considering that it may influence the flight planning.

@k9medic thanks! That’s the same others have been telling me, but it confirms it.

Back