What to expect?

Skydreamer2015

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skydreamer2015
Tomorrow I'm going to have a first class medical. Always have had second class & was wondering what I might expect to be different? This is my first medical in 15 years after being out of aviation while "life" happened & now I'm going back to finish my training & chase my dream of being a career pilot.

Your paper will say First Class Medical on it. There is pretty much no difference to the tests that you've already gotten. Did you already schedule a consultation before scheduling the examination? 15 years is a long time. I suggest canceling the exam until you know for sure you can pass your first class medical.

Tomorrow I'm going to have a first class medical. Always have had second class & was wondering what I might expect to be different? This is my first medical in 15 years after being out of aviation while "life" happened & now I'm going back to finish my training & chase my dream of being a career pilot.

FAR 67.101 to 67.113? That's where you will find the requirements.

Bob Gardner

If you are 35 or older you will have an EKG. First one at 35 then annually when you reach 40. Other than that it seems the same. There may be stricter standards for some things (eyesight if you are coming from a third class) but the items they check are the same. I think there are more differences AME to AME.

Last edited:
Your paper will say First Class Medical on it. There is pretty much no difference to the tests that you've already gotten. Did you already schedule a consultation before scheduling the examination? 15 years is a long time. I suggest canceling the exam until you know for sure you can pass your first class medical.

Already covered the consultation. Thanks! Also did full wellness check with blood & urine work ups along with EKG

Already covered the consultation. Thanks! Also did full wellness check with blood & urine work ups along with EKG
I'm not sure if you know this already but you can't just bring in an EKG done by another doctor. For the medical the AME has you hooked up to a device which transmits directly to OKC.

Not to hijack this thread, but what differences are there in the Second Class medical compared to the Third?

I'm not sure if you know this already but you can't just bring in an EKG done by another doctor. For the medical the AME has you hooked up to a device which transmits directly to OKC.

Yes, already know that. Just did the EKG for the same reason as doing the consolation & wellness check...to try to catch any issues before my medical exam

Back