What to expect - PPL Exam / testing center etc.

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
Good morning,

I've recently re-begun my PPL training. I have ~10 hrs from the late 1990's that I don't really count, so I've started over. Have 5hrs in the past two weeks in a Cherokee.

Mean time, I have been studying a LOT for the written test. I have purchased the Dauntless PC prep, several books, read all the FAA stuff, and figure I have at least a few more weeks of drilling and studying. I pass now, but I want to be getting nearly perfect scores before I go for the test.

I just realized that you can get the Test supplement from the FAA website. So I plan to print that sucker out and use it like I will in the real test. (figures on the computer are hard to use, IMHO)

My question is - can anyone fill me in on how the real testing goes? I.e. I've not been to a computerized test center before, what to bring, what to expect, what is allowed and not? (paper, pencil, e6b - either paper or electronic, or both? Plotter, ruler, etc?)

Strategy for taking the test? (I.e. can you skip and come back to questions?) Any other tips or tricks?

Just looking for general overall guidance. Thanks!

You may not print the supplement out. The place you take your written will provide the supplement for you. At my flight school we provide the student with paper, pencils, plotter, and calculator. Each testing center is different. You can always call up the testing center and ask what you should bring.

Good morning,

I've recently re-begun my PPL training. I have ~10 hrs from the late 1990's that I don't really count, so I've started over. Have 5hrs in the past two weeks in a Cherokee.

Mean time, I have been studying a LOT for the written test. I have purchased the Dauntless PC prep, several books, read all the FAA stuff, and figure I have at least a few more weeks of drilling and studying. I pass now, but I want to be getting nearly perfect scores before I go for the test.

I just realized that you can get the Test supplement from the FAA website. So I plan to print that sucker out and use it like I will in the real test. (figures on the computer are hard to use, IMHO)

My question is - can anyone fill me in on how the real testing goes? I.e. I've not been to a computerized test center before, what to bring, what to expect, what is allowed and not? (paper, pencil, e6b - either paper or electronic, or both? Plotter, ruler, etc?)

Strategy for taking the test? (I.e. can you skip and come back to questions?) Any other tips or tricks?

Just looking for general overall guidance. Thanks!

You have to bring a sign-off to take the test and the test fee. Everything else (E6B, plotter, straight edge) is optional.

You will be provided with paper, pencils, test supplement, and access to a computer that is set up for the test. :) I believe CATS has an E6B program available on the computer. You can make your own ruler using the edge of a piece of paper and the scale on the chart in the test supplement.

You can skip questions and then return to them. The computer keeps track for you.

Since some answers require memorization you can start off by writing down your memorized items (cloud clearance, airspace rules, etc.) on the provided paper if you want to.

Scoring high on the test is worthwhile in my book since it shows your determination to both your instructor and the DPE. Others say anything over 70 is a waste.

Good luck and do well.

@Jordan: Sorry, I meant I will print it out to use with my practice testing at home (using the one on the computer is more difficult). I figured I would not be allowed to bring anything much to the actual test.

Can I bring my own e6b? I have the ASA model electronic one (says FAA exam approved), and an ASA paper one. I have used both at times.

Good idea on making first thing the regurgitation of the memorized items. Thats exactly how I used to do this stuff in college many years ago.

I learned from another thread that one must be careful with the scale of the figures, as it does not match the plotter. I.e. use/make a paper scale.

I really want to "ace" the test, not just so I can show my DPE a good score, but I really want to know I know this stuff cold. As much as I can.

My biggest problem so far is weather. My GOD what the heck - does anyone - I mean anyone - still read/use the teletype version of this stuff? Its so dead simple to get the decoded version (right alongside the old) on the FAA and NWS websites! This is like trying to tell someone that to use their banking website they have to learn to decode HTML and javascript (rather than, you know, view it in a browser...)

Last edited:
The testing center will generally tell you what you can bring, but usually pen/paper is provided. You can use an E6B, electronic or paper. I brought both just in case :). When I took it, everything else (phone keys, etc) go in a bin and gets locked up until you are done. You can't leave the "booth" you test in until you are done.

It's like any other multiple choice electronic test. You get all the questions at once and you can skip between them, over them, mark them, etc. For me I went through the whole test and marked anything I was unsure of and answered all the easy / non-calculation questions first, then came back and spent time on the rest.

I left anything I was unsure of marked. At the end I then added all the marked ones up, plus maybe a couple extras for ones that I thought I got right. Divide that by the total amount of questions and if that came to more than 70%, I hit finish.

I actually missed some really stupid questions on the test mostly because I got mired in the difficult ones. You will have 2 hours and 30 minutes for the test, I only used an hour of that, only because I really went back through everything a second time.

Don't change a response unless you're SURE you were wrong. I'm certain some of the ones I changed were actually right the first time. It's super stressful taking that test and I swear I wasn't breathing when I hit finish (was waiting on the pass/fail and percentage to come back).

You'll do fine I'm sure :) Just don't go in until you can do at least 90 on practice tests consistently.

@Jordan: Sorry, I meant I will print it out to use with my practice testing at home (using the one on the computer is more difficult). I figured I would not be allowed to bring anything much to the actual test.

Can I bring my own e6b? I have the ASA model electronic one (says FAA exam approved), and an ASA paper one. I have used both at times.

Good idea on making first thing the regurgitation of the memorized items. Thats exactly how I used to do this stuff in college many years ago.

I learned from another thread that one must be careful with the scale of the figures, as it does not match the plotter. I.e. use/make a paper scale.

I really want to "ace" the test, not just so I can show my DPE a good score, but I really want to know I know this stuff cold. As much as I can.

My biggest problem so far is weather. My GOD what the heck - does anyone - I mean anyone - still read/use the teletype version of this stuff? Its so dead simple to get the decoded version (right alongside the old) on the FAA and NWS websites! This is like trying to tell someone that to use their banking website they have to learn to decode HTML and javascript (rather than, you know, view it in a browser...)

Yes, you can bring your own E6B. Paper or plastic is fine. The ASA electronic version is fine. A smart-phone based E6B will not be allowed.

For the weather stuff, just get in the habit of getting a weather briefing online (DUATS) for every training flight. Don't check the box for the decoded version. It'll give you the practice necessary to ace that portion of the test unless you live someplace where the weather never changes.

Last edited:
You don't really need to read this, but in case you're inclined, here's the FAA's order re the conduct of knowledge tests:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/orders_notices/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1022526

It specifies what you'll get and what you can bring - see Chapter 4, Paragraph 4.a (page 4-3) and Chapter 4, Paragraph 4 (page 4-5).

What you’ll get from the proctor:
  1. the supplement book
  2. an “accountable number of blank sheets of scratch paper.”
  3. a writing instrument

What you can bring:
  1. an “aviation-oriented” calculator, or other calculator that only has arithmetic functions (add, subtract, multiply, divide) or other simple functions (e.g. square root, percent keys), and one-number memory
  2. scales, straight edges, protractors, plotters, navigation computers, ... and electronic or mechanical calculators [e.g. E6Bs] that are directly related to the test.

My favorite calculator is an old HP that looks a little fancy, so I pre-cleared it with the test center before I got too committed to using it.

Prepware is cheap and works well also.

Bring what you would be expected to have in the cockpit when you fly. You can skip, they will instruct you how the test works. You do have a time limit. The real reason to miss as few as possible is because you will have to answer missed questions on your checkride. Otherwise the only real thing that matters is a passing score of 70.

Don't blow the written out of proportion. Just pass the thing and move on

Take the sample tests till you average over 80%, take the written! done.

Go to a lasergrade center for the test, they have a awsome onscreen E6B, where as CATs just has more or less the windows calculator. I don't bother bringing anything into a lasergrade center, you won't need anything,they give you paper and pencils, plus the onscreen E6B, you're golden.

Of course standard issue testing rules, read the answers before the question, don't "re correct" anything, etc.

Also don't listen to people who try to say the written results factor into your checkride, DPEs ain't dumb and they know a multi choice written is nothing compared to a oral, the written is just a hoop to jump through, the big one is the oral with your CFI will prep you for.

Last edited:
I bought an ASA test prep book that came with the supplement, and was well printed, so that was useful.

All true, but I'd modify one thing.

For doing calculations, it's much better to use something you're proficient with than even a really good tool you've never seen before. For that reason, I'd suggest buying and getting proficient with some sort of E-6B. Most private pilots favor the electronic ones, though I've found the old whiz wheels much easier to adapt to inverse problems.

Read the rules before you buy. Calculators with memory are no-nos. So are iPhones. Whiz wheels with instructions on them are legal (go figure).

Everyone has covered what you can and can't bring so not gonna beat that dead horse. Make sure you bring an acceptable form of ID. CATS and PSI(formerly lasergrade) have listed what is acceptable on their website. When I went to take my ATP test at a PSI/lasergrade the proctor said I was not allowed to use my ASA E6B. Luckily, as James said, the one on their computer had everything I needed.
Make sure you call the actual test center to make sure someone will be there the time you want to take it. I called lasergrade and they said "Anytime between 7 am - 9pm Sunday to Sunday." The FBO I took the test at was actually closed on Sundays and only there until 7 PM. Make sure you allot enough time to be completed before the testing center closes. Make sure they stamp your test report and DO NOT LOSE IT! Also if you are an AOPA or EAA member you get a $10 discount.

Make sure they stamp your test report and DO NOT LOSE IT! Also if you are an AOPA or EAA member you get a $10 discount.

The last test report I saw had an embossed seal and then a big red stamp that said "DO NOT LOSE THIS" :rofl:

When I went to take my ATP test at a PSI/lasergrade the proctor said I was not allowed to use my ASA E6B.

I wonder why.

I haven't taken the ATP (probably never will), but I used my ASA E6B for the PPL and Instrument exams.

Printing out the test supplement will probably cost you more in ink than buying one would, unless you print out just the ones you need (e.g. charts on which you need to use a plotter).

I have never used CATS. Lasergrade (PSI) definitely has an on-screen flight computer, you click the calculator icon at the bottom of the screen to bring it up. But I suggest checking your answers with your own E6B. Obviously if you get different results it alerts you to a mistake made somewhere.

Yes you are free to skip around. Do easy questions first. When you're done make sure you didn't leave any blank before you submit it for grading.

Perspective: this is a standardized government test that that teens and foreign students with poor English skills pass regularly. Use an app or study aid to prep for the test, but you'll be surprised at how not challenging the ordeal is.

The last test report I saw had an embossed seal and then a big red stamp that said "DO NOT LOSE THIS" :rofl:
Yeah they do both but losing it will cost another $12 to get it from the FAA. :lol:
I wonder why.

I haven't taken the ATP (probably never will), but I used my ASA E6B for the PPL and Instrument exams.
I'm not sure:dunno:. I think the proctor didn't know what he was doing. He said they didn't allow them for any test not just the ATP. I was gonna call PSI but the E6B on the computer was just fine and then didn't really care after I got the test over with :rofl:
Perspective: this is a standardized government test that that teens and foreign students with poor English skills pass regularly. Use an app or study aid to prep for the test, but you'll be surprised at how not challenging the ordeal is.
Truth

Last edited:
Don't change a response unless you're SURE you were wrong. I'm certain some of the ones I changed were actually right the first time.
+1.... 2 of my 4 wrong answers were changes that I had correct but thought they were wrong. Trust your first instinct.

Thank you everyone for the great advice.

I will probably come prepared to not be able to use the ASA E6B, but I will bring my whiz wheel and hope I can use the ASA since I'm familiar with it. I'm sure I could use a PC generated one, but did not want to waste time with unfamiliarity or make a stupid mistake due to not using it before.

I think I will buy that ASA book with the supplement. I was going to print it at work (large color copier/printer/duplex etc, no one would care) but that makes even more sense to just buy it and get another study guide too.

I'm probably obsessing a bit over the test, but even when I'm practicing I find that once in a while (when tired usually) I will make a DUMB mistake, like misreading the question and picking that "obviously wrong but you misread the question so it's right" answer. Or something like a rookie mistake of visualizing the direction backwards (180 deg off) on a nav question. I plan to be WELL rested when I do go.

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully this thread will be useful to other rookies like myself.

I took an aviation seminars this weekend and am taking the test Friday. The instructor said there are not any questions about the adf on the current test. Can anyone comment on this?

ADF questions were deleted in February 2015.

I took the test last week. Everybody has covered what you can and can't bring to the test. I bought an electronic e6b and I found it helpful. I used the ASA test prep book and supplement. It was identical to the supplement they provided on the test day. I arrived early and read through a few things i consistently screwed up on during practice tests. When I sat down to take the test I first wrote down the items I had just read and a couple of them were on the test.

I was getting 80s to 90s on the practice tests. I got a 95 on the one that counts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had no ADF questions last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PM me. I have a color printed copy of the suppliment I will mail to you if you are interested at no cost to you. My pay-it-forward for today.

Is there a good iPad app for practice tests? Would like to take a few practice tests before the real deal. If not on iPad, what is the best PC version?

Is there a good iPad app for practice tests? Would like to take a few practice tests before the real deal. If not on iPad, what is the best PC version?

Dauntless is the best test Prep application out there! iOS only.

I got the dauntless ground school prep app and also got the jeppesen cd that came with my flight bag. They both seem to have exactly the same questions and answers with the only exception being dauntless has about 200 more questions the the jeppesen cd.

My question is will the FAA written exam be the same questions and answers or will they be different. My concern is that while I am now able to consistently pass each practice test, I am not sure if it is because I know the material or if I have just remembered which answers go with which questions.

Back