What to do next?

Meliss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
goodjoojoo
So I have recently completed my IFR and I am looking for advice on what to do next. My IFR instructor recommended doing my Multi-Private and then my Multi-Commercial [Private first so that I would get more Multi PIC time] before my Single-Engine Commercial [Apparently that's what everyone at his flight school is doing], but yesterday I went for my first Multi-Engine Lesson [at my original flight school, different than the one I finished my IFR at] and my instructor [who I've known forever, and I respect his opinion immensely] suggested I wait to do my Multi-Commercial until after my Single-Engine because it will take less time and the maneuvers will be easier to perform in a single-engine airplane. I then want to do my CFI but not sure if I should do my Single-Engine first, CFI immediately after, and THEN do my Multi-commercial add on.

Does anyone have any opinions on the matter? What would you do and why? I need to make a decision soon, but I am not 100% sure what would be the best path. My ultimate goal is to be a professional pilot, hopefully one day in the airlines.

Thank you in advance.

I did single comm,then multi comm,then ATP. Worked great for me. Good luck

If your goal is single and multi commercial, getting your multi engine private now would result in three checkrides instead of two.

If you get your single engine commercial, you just have to train for and take a multiengine commercial pilot checkride. That's two practical tests - one for the single and one for the multi, both at the commercial level.

If you do your multiengine private first, you will have to take a multi private practical test now, a multi commercial test later as well as the single commercial test at some point.

yep. that doesnt even make sense that your instructor would recommend that.
If your goal is single and multi commercial, getting your multi engine private now would result in three checkrides instead of two.

If you get your single engine commercial, you just have to train for and take a multiengine commercial pilot checkride. That's two practical tests - one for the single and one for the multi, both at the commercial level.

If you do your multiengine private first, you will have to take a multi private practical test now, a multi commercial test later as well as the single commercial test at some point.

Do you own or have low cost access to a multi? What are your aspirations for aviation? If 'more multi time' is going to equal 6 hours PPME plus 6 hours for CPME, no need to bother with PPME. If you are going to keep flying ME once you have PPME then sure, especially if you have aspirations of getting a job flying ME, it's good to have 200+hrs.

Do you own or have low cost access to a multi? What are your aspirations for aviation? If 'more multi time' is going to equal 6 hours PPME plus 6 hours for CPME, no need to bother with PPME. If you are going to keep flying ME once you have PPME then sure, especially if you have aspirations of getting a job flying ME, it's good to have 200+hrs.

No, I do not own or have access to a low cost multi. thanks in large part to all of your replies and to talking to a few friends who are farther along in their careers than I, I've decided for me the best plan of action is to do my single engine commercial first. Once I have my CFI then I will attain my Multi-Commercial. I'm in a unique position in that once I have 1500 hours I've been promised to be sent to FlightSafety to get my single pilot CJ2+ Type Rating as well as my ATP. Right now I am at 450 hours. That's why I can't wait to get my CFI and start racking up hours. Thank you all for the responses and your opinions!

No, I do not own or have access to a low cost multi. thanks in large part to all of your replies and to talking to a few friends who are farther along in their careers than I, I've decided for me the best plan of action is to do my single engine commercial first. Once I have my CFI then I will attain my Multi-Commercial. I'm in a unique position in that once I have 1500 hours I've been promised to be sent to FlightSafety to get my single pilot CJ2+ Type Rating as well as my ATP. Right now I am at 450 hours. That's why I can't wait to get my CFI and start racking up hours. Thank you all for the responses and your opinions!

Hmmm... What are you going to do with this rating and little to no multi time? If you want to do something with that rating, you'll need multi time to qualify for the insurance. Can you get some right seat time in a business jet in the mean time? If you are already at 450hrs, why not just do your multi commercial first, then you can do the SE commercial as an add on in a 152 and save a few $$$.

Back