What to do in Chicago?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Well, I said I'd never go to Chicago. But, I'm going. The Grateful Dead are playing their last 3 shows there and that's about the only reason I can think of that I'd enter the city of Chicago. I'll be going to the shows at night, obviously. I'll be staying at the Hyatt downtown. Any pointers on things to see/do/eat while I'm there?

When are you going? Is music your thing? Food tastes?

Well, I said I'd never go to Chicago. But, I'm going. The Grateful Dead are playing their last 3 shows there and that's about the only reason I can think of that I'd enter the city of Chicago. I'll be going to the shows at night, obviously. I'll be staying at the Hyatt downtown. Any pointers on things to see/do/eat while I'm there?

Leave.

It's been a lot of years since I was last there, 20?
But Rush street and the restaurants there were good.

Museum of Science & Industry, Field Museum of Natural History

Navy Pier was a great day for wifey and myself. I'm no Chicago aficionado but I had an enjoyable couple of days there.

Museum of Science & Industry, Field Museum of Natural History

The Museums are great, lived there 20 years lots of stuff to do. You must include Italian Beef Sandwiches, Gyros and Deep Dish Pizza to the menu.

I think you can get a dinner cruse on Lake Michigan, viewing the Chicago sky line.

Carson's for ribs!!!

Giordano's deep dish pizza. Berghoff's German Resaurant. Museums and a tour to the top of the John Hancock Tower.

I'm going to have to try some authentic Chicago pizza, but I'm not much of a bread eater... Where is ScottM?

Can ya go to the lakeshore and rebuild Meigs???:dunno:.......:redface:

Giordanos, Malnatis for pizza. Greektown, Greek Isles. Shopping on mag mile(Michigan). Helicopter rides over city. Museums galore. Lincoln park area is a good area.

What do you like to do?

What do you like?

Pizza - deep dish
Lou Malnatti's, 439 N Wells St
Gino's East, 162 E Superior St
Giordano's, 730 N Rush St <- my favorite

Walk the Mile, spend too much money on something you don't need.

Waste some money at the tourist traps on Navy Pier.

Robie House, an excellent Frank Lloyd Wright house, 5757 S Woodlawn Ave

Museum of Science and Industry. The U-505 is nice but the coal mine exhibit is outstanding.

Northerly Island and suck up some of the left over lead contamination from Meigs

Of course, if you hate Chicago so much, you probably ought to just avoid the city entirely.

Hit up 6pc's thread from a couple weeks back. There was a lot of good options in there as well.

In general, look up metromix or similar for events of that day. Polish fest and Japanese fest are coming up, I think. Go off the hot dog/pizza path. Tons of brilliant restaurants, from affordable to twin engine aviating budgets (Alinea). My favorite is Publican. But Fulton Market area is chock full of superb food.

Oh yeah, art institute is pretty amazing, and museum of contemporary art.

The art and science museums and the aquarium.
Other than that bring money - lots of money.
We used to fly into Meigs a half dozen times a year, go to the museums, etc. Do a bit of shopping on the golden mile, Eat somewhere expensive and fly home. So, between fuel and shopping we spent a considerable number of dollars a year in Chi town. But after hiz honor paid off the mob/developers by closing the airport we have not spent one minute or one penny there and unlikely to ever do so again..

The architectural boat tour was worth doing. The tours run regularly throughout the day, so scheduling wouldn't be an issue.

Giordanos, museum of science and industry, river tour (beware, downtown stinks), Cubs game. Navy Pier didn't do much for me, felt like being at a carnival although the scenery was good. You will likely see lots of brand new Sailors in Chicago, basic training is just north. Thank those young people for their service and watch their eyes light up. Have fun.

You're allowed in Chicago? :D

Only with proper advance notice, and a peace bond, promising not to notice that the democrats are voting for every dead person int he state

Bring a bullet proof vest,go out only in the day light,don't go into the south side.

Bring a bullet proof vest,go out only in the day light,don't go into the south side.

Oh, now...

The south side isn't that bad. When I was with FedEx I sent a decent amount of time there. I survived. Just as I survived spending quite a bit of time in South Central LA.

The place I was most concerned for my welfare was Zinc, AR...that place is quite interesting.

Back