what to do about shoddy maintenance

U

Unregistered

i work for a large helicopter tour operator

as most of us know, under part 91 we are required to do 100 hour inspections

owner uses the "10 hours" of ferry to a repair shop time to continue to give tour rides. even worse the A&P/IA signs the logbook after inspection for another 100 hours: example 100 hour inspections due at 200 hours, gets done at 210, A&P/IA literally writes in logbook endorsement "inspected IAW.... blah blah.... NEXT 100 HOUR INSPECTION DUE AT 310 HOURS" which of course doesn't get done until 320 hours.....

lastly, owner who is not an A&P does repairs and has the A&P sign it off, which would be fine IF the A&P was actually there, the A&P comes up once a month or so to knock out 3 or 4 100 hour/annual inspections and THEN signs off the work done.....

so, bunch of low timer guys trying to get there heads above water. once guy already bucked and was sent down the road. its easy to say PIC blah blah blah when you don't have $100k in loans and this was the only job you could get.

is there a way to "request" anonymously to have the FAA look into this crap ?

owner uses the "10 hours" of ferry to a repair shop time to continue to give tour rides. even worse the A&P/IA signs the logbook after inspection for another 100 hours: example 100 hour inspections due at 200 hours, gets done at 210, A&P/IA literally writes in logbook endorsement "inspected IAW.... blah blah.... NEXT 100 HOUR INSPECTION DUE AT 310 HOURS" which of course doesn't get done until 320 hours.....

lastly, owner who is not an A&P does repairs and has the A&P sign it off, which would be fine IF the A&P was actually there, the A&P comes up once a month or so to knock out 3 or 4 100 hour/annual inspections and THEN signs off the work done.....

so, bunch of low timer guys trying to get there heads above water. once guy already bucked and was sent down the road. its easy to say PIC blah blah blah when you don't have $100k in loans and this was the only job you could get.

If you feel the maintenance or any other part of the operation is shoddy and/or violates the regs, you can contact the local FSDO anonymously, by phone or web:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/?state=AL

If nothing happens after a while, then check here again.

The more they bend the regs,and cut the maintenance,the more it will only get worse.

Anonymously :lol:

The guy will end up connecting the dots, and very well may burn you.

Aviation is a small world, burning bridges this early on isn't a smart move.

Also nothing you posted is really that bad, yeah burning the 10hrs into 100hr game is not the best, but real world I'd be more concerned on the quality of mx, if the ships are in good shape and the quality of your owners work and the shops work is fine, live with it or leave.

Have you tired confronting the boss about your issues?

-Which is why everyone is hesitant to do anything

Also nothing you posted is really that bad, yeah burning the 10hrs into 100hr game is not the best, but real world I'd be more concerned on the quality of mx, if the ships are in good shape and the quality of your owners work and the shops work is fine, live with it or leave.

-First, nobody is flying something they feel is unsafe
-Secondly, spoken like a true a-hole, wrong is wrong. I'm not going to go off on a whole rules written in blood rant but they are.
-Its the PIC certificate on the line, not the owners.

- Reading is fundamental... one guy was already sent down the road....

Simply request FSDO to conduct an audit on the company.

they are required to do that periodically. specially on a part 135 operator.

what specifically about any of the physical work on the machines is "shoddy" ?

-Secondly, spoken like a true a-hole, wrong is wrong. I'm not going to go off on a whole rules written in blood rant but they are.

So you don't feel the aircraft are unsafe..... :rolleyes:

Yet you want to get the Feds inside the hangar, but don't want to loose your job.

If you feel your situation is dire enough that the FAA needs to get involved, yet you continue to exercise your certificate there, taking people up for hire, the FAA needs to take a look at you as well.

My vote is to have a little dignity, have a talk like a man and let's the chips fall where they may, or if it's not a big enough deal that you think it's worth the risk of you loosing some job, probably not a big enough risk to be worth anyone else's time ether.

Since the FAA hasn't caught on yet tells me the actual maintenance isn't too bad, otherwise there would have already been an accident and they would be up his ass already. Eventually, someone will have an accident/incident and it will all come to light. Welcome to the world of aviation. I finally walked away from a pipeline job when so much maintenance was deferred I didn't want to fly the plane anymore. The only practical choice you really have if you want to stay in the industry is to find a different job and walk away from this one.

It is illegal to fly an aircraft that you know is not being maintained IAW the FARs.

If you fly the aircraft after the owner has done maintenance but before the A&P can inspect it and sign the log, you are in violation of FAR 91.407.

Sec. 91.407 — Operation after maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration.

(a) No person may operate any aircraft that has undergone maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration unless—

(1) It has been approved for return to service by a person authorized under §43.7 of this chapter; and
(2) The maintenance record entry required by §43.9 or §43.11, as applicable, of this chapter has been made.

There is nothing illegal about an A&P signing off owner maintenance without having inspected it himself. He has to "supervise" the owner, which can mean he has tested him on how to change a gasket previously (for example).

It means the A&P trusts the owner with his certificate. We can debate the wisdom of that, but it's basically the A&P's business.

The rest of it is bookkeeping, not lack of safety. It's technically illegal, but so is speeding.

Do you have any actual unsafe behaviors, such as not repairing serious squawks, pencil-whipping 100 hour inspections, or known shoddy work?

Just don't be the first guy to rent it after maintenance and you should be fine.

Being 10% over on time is not worthy of revolt even if it was against the rules.
(What can hurt you is poor quality maintenance or repairs. I would watch that more than these other things.)

Try to keep in mind it can be exceedingly difficult to yield a return with all the difficulties of running a business plus fulfilling the onerous government regulations these days.
Most employees have no idea of the struggle it can be until they run their own business.

Here's the question. The 100 hour was due at 2100 TIS, you ran the aircraft over by 10%, The TIS is now 2110, When is the next 100 hour due.????

With this in mind re-read the OP's first post.

Being 10% over on time is not worthy of revolt even if it was against the rules.
(What can hurt you is poor quality maintenance or repairs. I would watch that more than these other things.)

Try to keep in mind it can be exceedingly difficult to yield a return with all the difficulties of running a business plus fulfilling the onerous government regulations these days.
Most employees have no idea of the struggle it can be until they run their own business.

Truth well spoken..!!!

Here's the question. The 100 hour was due at 2100 TIS, you ran the aircraft over by 10%, The TIS is now 2110, When is the next 100 hour due.????

With this in mind re-read the OP's first post.

Exactly. The owner and the A&P are in violation, and so is the PIC if he/she operates the aircraft knowing it is in violation -- technical as that violation may be. You can overfly the 100-hour by 10 hours, but the next inspection is due 100 hours from when it was due, not from when it was actually done.

In other words, if the inspection was due at 2,100, but was actually performed at 2,110, the next 100-hour is due at 2,200, not 2,210.

In addition, the 100-hour inspection may be overflown by 10 hours, without a ferry permit, but only for the purpose of getting the aircraft to a place where the inspection can be carried out. If it hits 100 during a revenue flight, no one's going to pitch a fit; but it should be inspected before it flies for revenue again.

Overflying the 100-hour doesn't bother me so much as the hunch that there may be other less-than-wonderful maintenance going on. Any A&P (especially one who's also an IA) knows that what's being done in this case is in violation of 91.409(2)(b). What other rules are they willing to bend?

It's definitely a dilemma.

Rich

Last edited:

Look, I don't know what you expect us to tell you. Yes, you can call your local FSDO, but sounds like you've done that. Also, as you know that's only as "anonymous" as someone's theories make it be.

James331 believes he knows everything, at least as far as I'm concerned. It would be really interesting to see what he'd do in the pilot seat, because he's a d@mn expert from the lounge chair. Do your best to ignore it if you can.

If you're looking for other advice other than call the FSDO then fly if it's safe and don't fly if it isn't. Fly if it's legal and don't fly if it isn't. Build as many hours as you can and be looking for a longer term job. The one you have has some questionable management. Like a lot of things in life, it is a "for now" thing. Start making other plans, something else is coming down your path. You just don't know when it's going to hit. You just know it's coming.

You need to refuse to fly the aircraft past when that 100 hour is legal. If that means 80 hours into the "100 hour" then so be it. If you can't do that, then it's time for a new job. If you "anonymously" tip of the FAA and they can prove or even make it look like you knowingly flew it in that last 20 hours, you're going to hurt as much as anyone there.

As others who reasonably replied it is not as cut and dried as some would make it seem and of course there is more to the story.

When the season started, all of the hobbs are recorded daily in a computer program. The program would automatically update when 50, 100, 300, annuals, etc, etc where due. Everything looked on the up and up. When the computer program had a problem is when pilots started looking in the logbooks and figuring out that the numbers in the program were BS. So by this time all the PICs had taken the owner's word that the computer program was correct and already mistakenly violated.

Other things happening are things like the owner pulling the fuse on the hobbs - discovered mid-day after a successful pre-flight when the caution panel didn't light up. So now we have a pilot flying an aircraft around without a functioning annunciation panel that pre-flighted ok that morning because owner pulled fuse while pilot was in the bathroom.

I could go on but I think ya'll get the point. There are many more violations and all of us were none the wiser till we were already knee-deep. For a lot of us this is our first job in the industry and we relied on the owner who has been in business for 20 years that the "stuff we learned in school" and "what happens in real life" was by his work OK with the FAA.

At the end of the day he is putting our certificates on the line.

Yea, sure we could all walk. Easier said then done.

Thanks to all who sincerely trying to help give sound advice and not be condescending jerks.

As others who reasonably replied it is not as cut and dried as some would make it seem and of course there is more to the story.

When the season started, all of the hobbs are recorded daily in a computer program. The program would automatically update when 50, 100, 300, annuals, etc, etc where due. Everything looked on the up and up. When the computer program had a problem is when pilots started looking in the logbooks and figuring out that the numbers in the program were BS. So by this time all the PICs had taken the owner's word that the computer program was correct and already mistakenly violated.

Other things happening are things like the owner pulling the fuse on the hobbs - discovered mid-day after a successful pre-flight when the caution panel didn't light up. So now we have a pilot flying an aircraft around without a functioning annunciation panel that pre-flighted ok that morning because owner pulled fuse while pilot was in the bathroom.

I could go on but I think ya'll get the point. There are many more violations and all of us were none the wiser till we were already knee-deep. For a lot of us this is our first job in the industry and we relied on the owner who has been in business for 20 years that the "stuff we learned in school" and "what happens in real life" was by his work OK with the FAA.

Thanks to all who sincerely trying to help give sound advice and not be condescending jerks.

It is that easy. If the situation is as you say, you're a moron to remain because you are putting your entire career in jeopardy along with your life. You're worried about your training debt when that is the least thing at risk. If you are young enough, look at military options like Guard and Reserve
It wasn't very bright to go deep into debt to get into a crappy paying career, don't compound that mistake with actions that can lead to a lifetime in prison, because when you crash and someone is injured or killed, the DA is coming after you as well when this all comes to light. That is one of the realities of Command, you own criminal responsibility for not only your actions, but your failure to act under not only the law, but general prudence as well. Luckily though, you'll most likely die in the crash as well so you'll avoid prison and a legal bill that will make your training costs look like a night on the town.

If your personal respect for the rules is the reason you want the FAA to intervene, that same respect for the rules should cause you to walk.

If you feel you're in danger, you should refuse to fly and explain why and if you're sent packing, it would be worth it.

Preserving your integrity will eventually cost you something...it just may be this job.

So, the owner screws with your aircraft after you've preflighted it, while you're in the bathroom?

And you still want to work there?

Really?

:yeahthat:

That guy would meet my fist up close and personal. I don't take kindly to people fuxing with my safety, and that of my passengers.

James331 believes he knows everything, at least as far as I'm concerned. It would be really interesting to see what he'd do in the pilot seat, because he's a d@mn expert from the lounge chair. Do your best to ignore it if you can.

I guess when compared to someone selling shoes or whatever in retail, yeah it could appear as if I know everything, fact is I know enough to know there is much I don't know.

You don't need to be a NASA shuttle pilot to know that burning people in a small industry isn't smart, especially when you haven't been around enough to make a name for yourself, or have a thick enough logbook to weather some potential bad press for yourself.

You also don't need to be a aviation genius to know that CHOOSING to fly a aircraft when you don't feel right about the mx, or lack thereof, is 100X worse than what ever the owner is being accused of doing.

:yikes:

I'm not a rotor wing guy, but don't you check your annunciation panel before engine start?

Ether way

If you believe that, and are still working there flying the public around, on behalf of every working pilot I'd like to extend a big F' you, you cheapen the profession, you give a bad name to working pilots, and people like you WILL get someone killed given enough time.

Then get the heck out, if the owner was providing you documents, computer read outs,whatever, saying everything was in compliance, then you learned different, that's on him.

Staying around after the fact, now that's 100% on you.

What's this stuff about because some dude, who happens to own a business, says it's ok, even you know the regs say diffrent, you thought it made breaking FARs OK?

Who cares how long he has been in business, plenty of cockroach businesses which are poorly run but just won't die, the FAA also doesn't have a waiver on 100hr inspections and screwing with aircraft system just because you've been in business for XX years.

Y'all knew better, come on

Uhh, if what you say is true, he's was only setting you up for failure.

End of the day, by finding what you found and still CHOOSING to fly the aircraft, YOU are putting your certs on the line, worse yet you're putting innocent pax on the line, and that is where you get people like me who are being "condescending jerks", the fact that when you get called out for willfully violating FARs with the public on board and think the person calling you out is a "jerk" well that speaks volumes.

Most pilots I know ether walked, turned down jobs, or refused to fly a bad aircraft at some point.

Loosing crap job < not loosing career, your life, or worse killing others.

I guess when compared to someone selling shoes or whatever in retail, yeah it could appear as if I know everything, fact is I know enough to know there is much I don't know.

You don't need to be a NASA shuttle pilot to know that burning people in a small industry isn't smart, especially when you haven't been around enough to make a name for yourself, or have a thick enough logbook to weather some potential bad press for yourself.

You also don't need to be a aviation genius to know that CHOOSING to fly a aircraft when you don't feel right about the mx, or lack thereof, is 100X worse than what ever the owner is being accused of doing.

:yikes:

I'm not a rotor wing guy, but don't you check your annunciation panel before engine start?

Ether way

If you believe that, and are still working there flying the public around, on behalf of every working pilot I'd like to extend a big F' you, you cheapen the profession, you give a bad name to working pilots, and people like you WILL get someone killed given enough time.

Then get the heck out, if the owner was providing you documents, computer read outs,whatever, saying everything was in compliance, then you learned different, that's on him.

Staying around after the fact, now that's 100% on you.

What's this stuff about because some dude, who happens to own a business, says it's ok, even you know the regs say diffrent, you thought it made breaking FARs OK?

Who cares how long he has been in business, plenty of cockroach businesses which are poorly run but just won't die, the FAA also doesn't have a waiver on 100hr inspections and screwing with aircraft system just because you've been in business for XX years.

Y'all knew better, come on

Uhh, if what you say is true, he's was only setting you up for failure.

End of the day, by finding what you found and still CHOOSING to fly the aircraft, YOU are putting your certs on the line, worse yet you're putting innocent pax on the line, and that is where you get people like me who are being "condescending jerks", the fact that when you get called out for willfully violating FARs with the public on board and think the person calling you out is a "jerk" well that speaks volumes.

Most pilots I know ether walked, turned down jobs, or refused to fly a bad aircraft at some point.

Loosing crap job < not loosing career, your life, or worse killing others.

Exactly, it's not the boss's fault anymore the minute you realize what's going on, it's your own for going along with it. If you don't have the balls to walk, then it's YOU that is putting your ass on the line, no one else. You are exactly as much of a low life POS as he.

- exactly the point of making this post AFTER having confronted the owner directly

- yes, we don't shut down to go to the bathroom, just have a ground crew hold the controls

and yes ya'll are being condescending for no reason.

there are a few people on this thread that said going over 10% is no big deal and making a case for how hard it is to run a business and having an a&p remotely"supervise" work as being no big deal either.

all this other **** came to light since i started this thread the other day. it takes a little time to gather all the facts. all of the pilots have agreed to confront this guy one more time together before we call the FAA.

One of the funniest things on this website is when you start "assuming". It always makes me chuckle.

In early 2001, I sold a chain of retail stores that I spent several years building to a nationwide chain.

I became "retailguy" in 1992 when I started posting on bulletin boards and it just kind of stuck. Have never sold a pair of shoes, but sold millions of dollars of other stuff and retail changed my life forever and funded the purchase of several great planes, a tax practice and several other businesses.

Keep "assuming" James. It brings me great humor.....:lol:

- yes, we don't shut down to go to the bathroom, just have a ground crew hold the controls

So the ground crew sat at the controls as the owner disabled systems?

there are a few people on this thread that said going over 10% is no big deal and making a case for how hard it is to run a business and having an a&p remotely"supervise" work as being no big deal either.

all this other **** came to light since i started this thread the other day. it takes a little time to gather all the facts. all of the pilots have agreed to confront this guy one more time together before we call the FAA.

When you call the FAA I'm sure they will be interested to learn how you and your colleagues continued to operate these aircraft after you learned about these maintenance issues, how you continually over flew 100hr inspections, etc.

I would fully expect a enforcement action if I were you.

Consider the fact that after the impending enforcement action you won't likely get any jobs without omitting what you have done, and doubtfully will get a job with any operator who performs a PRIA request on you.

Ironically the only operators who will likely hire you after all this comes to light will probably only be other shoddy pt91 ops.

I really hope this whole story is just someone trolling.

-out

What did I say that was incorrect?

One of the funniest things on this website is when you start "assuming". It always makes me chuckle.

In early 2001, I sold a chain of retail stores that I spent several years building to a nationwide chain.

I became "retailguy" in 1992 when I started posting on bulletin boards and it just kind of stuck. Have never sold a pair of shoes, but sold millions of dollars of other stuff and retail changed my life forever and funded the purchase of several great planes, a tax practice and several other businesses.

Keep "assuming" James. It brings me great humor.....:lol:

I guess when compared to someone selling shoes or whatever in retail ...

ummm,,, yea.... we been violating the crap out everything for a total of three days.... we are such scumbag scoundrels....

get over yourself and **** off - you've added zero practical value to this thread. reading what you have written has caused my IQ to drop 10 points.

ummm,,, yea.... we been violating the crap out everything for a total of three days.... we are such scumbag scoundrels....

get over yourself and **** off - you've added zero practical value to this thread. reading what you have written has caused my IQ to drop 10 points.

If you're still working for this guy that means you're in negative numbers.

And those are the ones that you should ignore.

You may not like the advice you got, but it was correct nonetheless. Once you became aware of the maintenance / inspection discrepancies, you also acted in violation by continuing to fly the aircraft. No amount of swearing, whining, pouting, self-pity, or stamping your feet will change that.

Welcome to the adult world.

All is not lost, however. Three days is not a long time. It's short enough, in fact, that you probably can avoid any repercussions if you stop flying today.

I mean, seriously, no one expects you to review the mx logs from day one every time you fly, so it's reasonable that you wouldn't notice the inspection discrepancy at first glance. What you did notice at first glance was that the aircraft was within the 100-hour window since the last inspection. And for better or worse, the DIY maintenance by the owner became legal once the A&P signed off on it.

So your choices are basically to keep your mouth shut and keep flying in knowing violation; to confront the boss and refuse to fly; to file a report with the FAA and refuse to fly; or to quit.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back