What to bring to AirVenture (1st Timer)

It sure helps to have one at the North 40 for riding to Target or the showers or to the port-a-potty or to see my friends WAY down at the other end. :)

Remember the year that they took away our ice at the North 40? That was a mess :eek: and I rode my bike over to the restaurant and bought ice there. I hope they will have ice at the tie-down shack again this year. :yes:

I sure do - I remember getting it across the street at the K-Mart/Wal-Mart/whatever it was.

I'm always so impressed at OSH by everyone's honesty - nobody pays for one bag of ice and then takes five, people put money in the bus donation cup if they've got it... I left my brand new 96C on the shaving shelf at the showers with my razor and shaving cream while I went inside, and it was there when I came out 10 minutes later.

Don't forget your camping poncho. Thunderstorms are frequent, and a good poncho will keep you good and dry.

I'm always so impressed at OSH by everyone's honesty -

My wallet fell out of my backpack at the forums. Before I even relized it was gone the receptionist at my office was calling my cell phone, giving me the number of the lady who called saying she found my wallet. She looked inside found my card and called my work number, and punched zero to get to a person.

I called her back and met up with her and got my wallet back.... with nothing missing. It's just a diffrent kind of folk there. A little bit better kind if you ask me.

Missa

Good Lord A'mighty, what are you flying, a DC-3?

You'd be utterly amazed at what you can get in the back of a four-seat Cessna - Though Peggy flies a 172 and I fly a 182.

I had my entire trunk and about half the back seat of my car filled up when I departed on a trip a couple years ago, and it ALL fit into the baggage compartment of the 182. Blew me away!

Good Lord A'mighty, what are you flying, a DC-3?
As Kent says, I fly a Cessna 172 with the mighty Lycoming 180.
We updated the list today in anticipation of this year's trip. (One item was removed. Two sections were added. Not listed: two grandsons.) Here is the new list:
Pre

ð Pay bills
ð Deposit checks
ð Mow yard
ð Clean house
ð Wash dishes
ð Laundry
ð Call Lawyer
ð Call Dentist
ð Get Fuel Prices
ð Defrost Freezer

Flight

ð NOTAM
ð GAC
ð Charts
ð Flight Plan forms
ð EPIRB
ð Oil
ð Tools
ð Phone numbers
ð Computer
ð Update programs
ð Update databases
ð Jepp Programmer
ð Power cord
ð Fuel Prices

Airplane

ð Tarp for wing
ð Rope for tarp
ð Stakes for tarp
ð Stall Dam & aileron bumpers
ð Tape for bumpers
ð Stakes for Airplane
ð Tie-Down Ropes
ð Fresh Batteries
ð Oxygen equipment

Camping

ð 2 Tents
ð 2 cots
ð 1 air mattress & pump
ð 4 sleeping bags
ð Space blankets
ð 2 folding tripod chairs
ð 2 folding arm chairs
ð Flashlight
ð Folding Table
ð Sewing Kit
ð Whisk broom

Eating

ð Tuna fish
ð Canned Chicken
ð Relish packets, Mayo packets
ð Soda Crackers
ð Breakfast Cereal
ð Powdered Milk
ð Instant Potatoes
ð Canned Fruit (pull top)
ð Applesauce
ð Dried Fruit and Nuts
ð Tea Bags
ð Sun Tea Jug
ð Water Jug
ð 4 Plates
ð Bowl / cups
ð Plastic Forks, Spoons, Knives
ð FAA bottle holders

Clothing & Personal

ð Shorts
ð T-Shirts
ð Hats
ð Long-Sleeve Shirts
ð Sweater
ð Warm Sleep Clothes
ð Underwear
ð Dirty Clothing bag
ð Hairbrush
ð Toothbrush & toothpaste
ð Towel, soap, shampoo, shower shoes

Walking Around

ð Portable Chair with long string so I don't leave it behind
ð Back Pack
ð Water Bottles
ð FAA Water Bottle Clips
ð Sun Lotion
ð Foldup Raingear
ð Medication, aspirin, antacid
ð Sunscreen
ð Camera

Thierry Pouille of Air Journey has the best advise I have ever heard on this topic: Bring half the stuff and twice the money.

You'd be utterly amazed at what you can get in the back of a four-seat Cessna -
You'd be amazed at what you can get in the back of a Citabria. ;)

I'll just add a few things that may not have been mentioned.

Food: we conserve space and weight by eating Mountain House MRE's and tuna packets.

Electronics: we take a little cheapy radio that uses regular batteries to listen to the different frequencies while we sit on the flight line watching arrivals and departures.

Cooler: an inflatable cooler that we keep ice in that doubles as a footstool.

Shower stuff: lightweight camping towels that dry instantly and sandals to wear in the shower building...handkerchief with a safety pin as a washrag that you can pin to something to hang it out to dry in the breeze.

Yesterday I got out all my camping stuff and got so excited! :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: I can't wait! :goofy:

You'd be amazed at what you can get in the back of a Citabria. ;)

snip

Shower stuff: lightweight camping towels that dry instantly and sandals to wear in the shower building...handkerchief with a safety pin as a washrag that you can pin to something to hang it out to dry in the breeze.

Yesterday I got out all my camping stuff and got so excited! :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: I can't wait! :goofy:
Where can I get those camping towels?

Darn! I can't find the shots I took of Chip's loaded Citabria at OSH in aught-four. It was like 28 circus clowns in a phone booth.
:D Yea, I think he had more stuff than WE did. I thought I had a picture, too, but can't find it now. Maybe it was a picture you posted here.

How well do those things keep stuff cool? Can you dump in ice cubes, or is the nozzle too small?

If you order a CamelBak Unbottle and a thermal control unit ($16*) (an insulated tube). The current models (Omega reservoir) of the CamelBak bladder have a large opening. You can order 70-oz (2-quart, $27*) or 100-oz (3-quart, $30*) bladder models. *(campmor.com)

Fill them up with ice and the remaining space with water. Your initial gulp of water from the tube will be warm, thereafter cold. If you add a drink mix, be certain to rinse the bladder and hose completely. Things will grow well in this environment if you do not keep them clean.

You can purchase a hanger, brush kit and sanitizing tablets to assist in cleaning.

I got a good sized omega reservoir backpack. Currently it's half full and in the freezer. Tomorrow I'll fill it the rest of the way and take it on a trip with my daughter to the Shenandoah park. I think it will work well at OSH.

I'm working on my packing. Most of what I bring has been covered. But two things that I end up using almost every year (at least once) are some rope and some clothespins.

Tom

I just found this list from a 2002 posting in Avweb by Rick Durden. He remembers some things I forgot to mention, including money, money, money, money. http://www.avweb.com/news/osh2002/181590-1.html

Checklist
Things that come in handy at OSH:
tie down stakes and rope
comfortable walking shoes
small backpack
sunscreen
water bottle
light snacks
money
plastic sheet/tarp
duct tape
extra rope
lightweight cardboard for signs
marking pens
money
the NOTAM for OSH (The FAA's version might be hard to print or read; you can try the PDF version instead.)
camera
film (three times what you think you'll need)
batteries
poncho
money
lightweight cooler
lightweight folding chair(s)
video camera
flip flops/thongs
EAA membership card
extra tent stakes
aspirin/ibuprofen/acetaminophen
extra toilet paper
jacket
mosquito repellent
hat
bandanna
money
small umbrella
extra dry socks
money

Shower stuff: lightweight camping towels that dry instantly

I prefer a regular towel - It's heavy enough to hang on the prop to dry, and then it gets rained on and gets soaking wet (and clean! :rofl:) and then dries again, mostly, before I head for the showers the next morning. :D

My vote for the top five would be:
(1) comfortable walking shoes
(2) extra toilet paper
(3) sunscreen
(4) a hat
(5) a poncho

if you'll be there after dark, #6 is a must:
(6) mosquito repellant

I prefer a regular towel - It's heavy enough to hang on the prop to dry, and then it gets rained on and gets soaking wet (and clean! :rofl:) and then dries again, mostly, before I head for the showers the next morning. :D

I bring one of our worn out "dog" towels. Use it for 3 or 4 nights, wipe down the windshield and wings with it on "departure day" and toss it in a dumpster prior to departure.

Don't forget membership card for EAA (although they can look it up for you) to get member pricing at admission gate.

Don't forget membership card for EAA (although they can look it up for you) to get member pricing at admission gate.

You mean you don't have your EAA number memorized?
I did this up to the point when I stopped paying for admission.

Back