What to bring to AirVenture (1st Timer)

KCFly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
KCFly
OK, I'm a noob and I know it.

I'll be camping, but not on field, about 2-3 miles out.

I know the obvious, sunscreen, hat, good shoes, rain gear...

I'm looking for the "Ive been there 10 years and here's what you HAVE to have" ideas..

Also, is it worth bringing a bike and parking nearby and ride to the gate or should I just park in the $7 lots and be done with it?

Thanks for any and all info/advice/suggestions! I've been flying for a little over 10 years and have held my CFI/CFII/MEI for a bit over 6 now. I am soo looking forward to finally making it to oshkosh. The closest I have gotten was overflying the field on a long IFR XC with a student. We were vectored right over midfield at 4,000 ft. Great view of everyone having a good time. Now I get to enjoy it all and I don't want to miss a thing.

Water bottle (to refill at the free water fountains as opposed to purchasing the $5 20oz H20).
Sunscreen. A lot of people don't realize how exposed you are while walking around drooling over airplanes. Stay hydrated and protected from the sun or you will be miserable the following day/week!

I'd go with the bike. The parking lot isn't all that close and you get to wait in line for a bus coming and going.

As for stuff to bring, I recommend some kind of lightweight folding chair for watching the airshow(s). I usually bring a bike lock and chain it to something in the spectator area in the AM so I don't have to lug it around. I've also considered a spare pair of socks for the day and maybe some comfy insoles for my shoes. All that walking around in the heat takes a toll on the feet.

I'd go with the bike. The parking lot isn't all that close and you get to wait in line for a bus coming and going.

As for stuff to bring, I recommend some kind of lightweight folding chair for watching the airshow(s). I usually bring a bike lock and chain it to something in the spectator area in the AM so I don't have to lug it around. I've also considered a spare pair of socks for the day and maybe some comfy insoles for my shoes. All that walking around in the heat takes a toll on the feet.

Any suggestions on where to park nearby?

Ever have any trouble with locking a chair to something for the day? Like it disappearing or staff giving you trouble when retrieving it when it's time for the airshow?

Good idea on insoles. Maybe a I'll just bring a new pair for each day.. :)

Hmm... when I drive, I just get there early in the morning, pay the EAA parking fee of $10 (I think), and it's a short walk to the main gate. Oh, but if you're CAMPING nearby, a bike's not a bad idea, but not sure where you'd park/chain the bike near the gate.

You must have a hat, a canteen or water bottle, sunscreen (preferably with bug dope in it). The Trade-A-Plane and XM WX booths are generally good places to get something to carry all the rest of the brochures and stuff you pick up. By the time the airshow starts I'm so tired I don't mind just lying on the ground - no blanket or chair required.

Here is the checklist I made a couple of years ago. Some doesn't apply to you, of course.
Airplane

Tarp for wing
Ties for tarp
Stakes for tarp
Stall Dam & aileron bumpers
Tape for bumpers
Stakes for Airplane
Tie-Down Ropes
Fresh Batteries
Oxygen equipment

Camping

Tent
2 cots
4 sleeping bags
2 space blankets
2 folding chairs
Flashlight
Folding Table
Sewing Kit

Food

Tuna fish
Canned Chicken
Relish packets, Mayo packets
Soda Crackers
Sugar-coated Wheat Thins
Powdered Milk
Canned Fruit (pull top)
Applesauce
Dried Fruit and Nuts
Tea Bags
Sun Tea Jug
Water Jug
4 Plates
Bowl / cups
Plastic Forks, Spoons, Knives

Clothing & Personal

Shorts
T-Shirts
Hats
Long-Sleeve Shirts
Sweater
Warm Sleep Clothes
Underwear
Dirty Clothing bag
Hairbrush
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Towel, soap, shampoo, shower shoes

Walking Around

Portable Chair with long string so I don't leave it behind
Back Pack
Sun Lotion
Foldup Raingear
Medication, aspirin, antacid

I'm looking for the "Ive been there 10 years and here's what you HAVE to have" ideas..

Also, is it worth bringing a bike and parking nearby and ride to the gate or should I just park in the $7 lots and be done with it?

Thanks for any and all info/advice/suggestions! I've been flying for a little over 10 years and have held my CFI/CFII/MEI for a bit over 6 now. I am soo looking forward to finally making it to oshkosh. The closest I have gotten was overflying the field on a long IFR XC with a student. We were vectored right over midfield at 4,000 ft. Great view of everyone having a good time. Now I get to enjoy it all and I don't want to miss a thing.
BTW - Here is the story of our first visit to OSH. This is an example of two people enjoying ourselves despite making mistakes every day. Hope you have a great time. http://auntpeggy.home.att.net/StoriesWeekendOshkosh2004.html

Here is the checklist I made a couple of years
Medication, aspirin, antacid

Immodium (don't laugh, public "port-a-johns" are no fun if you get the runs, and those $5 airshow chilidogs can sometimes do a number on your digestive system)

And since there's lots of dust kicked up around, bring some Visine or other eye drops, and maybe some Claritin-type non-drowsy antihistamines if you're prone to getting allergy symptoms in a dusty environment.

bring more cloths than you think you will need....

Last year they had laundry service by the gate on the North 40 side. I didn't use it, but was a pretty slick service if it worked well.
Hmmm... With relatives in the area, I could make a KILLING this way, if I wasn't so busy attending the show that I'd never get any laundry done!:goofy::hairraise:

If you are camping 2-3 miles out... that's only a 15min or so bike ride. There is a bike corral next to the entrance in camp sholler (should really camp there it's too much fun). Leave the chair locked to the bike untill just before the airshow, then go out and get it, no one will complaine about leaving it there.

Bring the bike... saves walking, waiting for transportation and traffic jams. You can get around faster by bike then by car in most cases.

The bike is key... it gets you everywhere easily, and the bike corral is a stone's throw from the flight line.
I brought mine the second time, and it radically changed the ratio of walking back and forth-to-enjoying Airventure. :D
If you're camping outside the grounds and will be commuting daily, you definitely don't want to drive. And think of the exercise!:D

Bring a backpack, even a small one... if you go into the vendor areas at any point, you'll at least walk out with a bunch of free stuff. Also handy for that bottle of water and the snacks you bought at the supermarket (instead of paying show prices). Who wants to schlep around a bunch of shopping bags, and camera, and water, etc?

How about 26 years in a row? :)

If you would like the chance to fly in with an experienced group, consider coming to Iowa City, IA (KIOW) for our Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party, at our aviation theme-suite hote, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites.

We throw this annual shin-dig the Saturday before OSH as our way of saying "Thanks!" to all pilots for another great year. It's FREE (free food, beverages, music, all served at pool-side) to all -- but if you stay the night you get the added fun of joining a caravan of very experienced pilots into the FISK approach at OSH on Sunday.

We don't do any Blue Angels formation stuff, so don't worry. We just keep each other in sight, enter the FISK approach in trail, and -- by virtue of our proximity -- end up parked pretty close together in the North 40 camping area. It's fun, easy, educational, and an easy 90-minute flight from KIOW to KOSH.

Last year we had six or seven planes, other years it's less or more -- but it's always safe and fun. An added bonus: During your stay at the inn we'll set you up in our full sized flight simulator, and you can practice holding airspeed and altitude on the actual FISK approach into OSH!

Here's the official invitation: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_pool_party.htm

Hope you (and anyone else interested) can make it, either for just a fuel stop and a bratwurst, or for the flight into the big show!

(BTW: If you've got room, bring the bike. It'll save your feet...)

Re: the bike, do what Diana does. Buy one at the Goodwill store just off the field and donate it back when done!

Last year they had laundry service by the gate on the North 40 side. I didn't use it, but was a pretty slick service if it worked well.

didn't know that. When I went, for one day only (it was a stop on a week long trip) I went through three pairs of clothes that one day, but if you can do laundry, then bring quarters.

didn't know that. When I went, for one day only (it was a stop on a week long trip) I went through three pairs of clothes that one day, but if you can do laundry, then bring quarters.

I might suggest good wet/dry clothes such as a pair of boardshorts and an under-armor t-shirt. When it started pouring, I just said "eh"... Kept on drinking beer in the rain... :cheerswine:

Two things I'd add:

1) Jay Honeck's N-number, N56993, written down. That way you can find the gathering for Wednesday evening. Jay usually scores a primo spot in the N-40.

2) A Camelback backpack style hydration unit (or whatever they're called). I bring some powdered gatoraid and mix some up every morning. I then have a cool drink at the ready any time of the day. Even so, and as MontBlack can attest, I still pretty much melt from that crap they call humidity (being from the Left Coast where it essentially doesn't exist)

Two things I'd add:

2) A Camelback backpack style hydration unit (or whatever they're called). I bring some powdered gatoraid and mix some up every morning. I then have a cool drink at the ready any time of the day. Even so, and as MontBlack can attest, I still pretty much melt from that crap they call humidity (being from the Left Coast where it essentially doesn't exist)

How well do those things keep stuff cool? Can you dump in ice cubes, or is the nozzle too small?

By all means take a break ride the bus over to the seaplane base when the heat gets to you it is about a $3 round trip paid at the seaplane base for return. pick it up just south of the ultralight field in the amphib parking area. The food vendor has relatively good prices compared to on Whitman prices and the pontoon boat ride to vire the planes up close is reasonable ($2 for souvenier button and ride is free)

By all means take a break ride the bus over to the seaplane base when the heat gets to you it is about a $3 round trip paid at the seaplane base for return. pick it up just south of the ultralight field in the amphib parking area. The food vendor has relatively good prices compared to on Whitman prices and the pontoon boat ride to vire the planes up close is reasonable ($2 for souvenier button and ride is free)
Also, make sure you go to the seaplane base for the watermelon social! Good food and great company!

Also, make sure you go to the seaplane base for the watermelon social! Good food and great company!

First of all thanks to everyone for the great ideas on what to bring and do.

Second, when is the watermelon social?? Hadn't heard about that before...

First of all thanks to everyone for the great ideas on what to bring and do.

Second, when is the watermelon social?? Hadn't heard about that before...
Last year it was Saturday, 7/28. Their website doesn't have a date for this year yet (http://www.oshkoshseaplanebase.com/watermelon_social.htm). I'm hoping that it's not the last Saturday, because I doubt I'll be there that long this year.

All of the units I've seen have an opening in the bladder that will accept ice cubes. The backpacks themselves (and I can only speak for the Camelback brand) are well insulated and keep things refreshingly cool all day. If I can, I put some ice cubes in. Even if I can't though, cool water from a faucet will stay cool enough to drink all day. Overall, I'm pleased with mine. I mostly use it snowboarding (no problems there keeping things cool) and at events like Oshkosh where I'm out in the sun all day and need stuff to drink.

Oh, but if you're CAMPING nearby, a bike's not a bad idea, but not sure where you'd park/chain the bike near the gate.

You can park the bicycle just outside the gate coming in from near Camp Schoeller...

Thanks for the info - I think I'll buy one for OSH this year.

Bring a 32 oz Powerade/Gatorade bottle. Fill it up (often) at one of the many FREE water stations on the grounds.

OSH has very good - refreshing - cold - FREE - water.

Montblack

Walking Around

Portable Chair with long string so I don't leave it behind
I like that...pretty funny!
Thanks. That is actually what the list says. Although I never did attach a string to my tripod chair, the first year is the only one where I kept walking off and leaving the chair behind.

You need a small backpack. You want to keep your hands free as much as possible. Shopping bag type, even with handles, get really old really quickly. A small backpack for sunscreen, bug spray, raincoat, drinks, snacks, batteries and freebies is essential.

won't make it this year, but hoping to go in '09 with my brother. He is taking his Cub and I'll take my Swift.

JimR

Re: the bike, do what Diana does. Buy one at the Goodwill store just off the field and donate it back when done!

That's sheer genius.
But what if all they have that day is a pink girls' bike with My Little Pony decals and training wheels? :D

That's sheer genius.
But what if all they have that day is a pink girls' bike with My Little Pony decals and training wheels? :D

Be glad they weren't out completely, buy it and ride while everyone else is walking.

JimR

That's sheer genius.
You'll have a bike that you KNOW won't ride away on its own! (Actually, I'd be VERY surprised if ANY bike did that at OSH, but you know what I mean)

**I'd go with the bike. **

Guys,

I thought I would pass this along. Bicycles are NOT allowed in the AirVenture grounds. I have seen people ride them but security could pull you over.

I think that they should relax that policy myself....

Dave Zera
Co-Chairman
Safety / Flight line
AirVenture 2008

Yeah they're only allowed in the North 40 and Scholler, you have to dump them before entering the more "public" areas.

Yeah they're only allowed in the North 40 and Scholler, you have to dump them before entering the more "public" areas.
It sure helps to have one at the North 40 for riding to Target or the showers or to the port-a-potty or to see my friends WAY down at the other end. :)

Remember the year that they took away our ice at the North 40? That was a mess :eek: and I rode my bike over to the restaurant and bought ice there. I hope they will have ice at the tie-down shack again this year. :yes:

Back