What time can I log without a medical

Yes, I had forgotten, but I checked and did log solo time as PIC and solo. Another student had his AMEL, so he got to log it all as PIC. :D

I kept a separate log book. But the stupid thing was, I put in a commend as to the flight (letter and number from the syllabus), but now have NO idea what they mean. :D I MAY have a copy of the syllabus from then. I hope. If not, maybe someone has one from circa 1980 - 1982

I also logged, in my log book, additional taxi time that the USAF did not count. So one or two tenths each flight. Except at Holloman due to a LONG taxi back after landing due to some work on the taxiways and ramp, so it was an extra .4 - .5 each flight.

I also logged, in my log book, additional taxi time that the USAF did not count. So one or two tenths each flight. Except at Holloman due to a LONG taxi back after landing due to some work on the taxiways and ramp, so it was an extra .4 - .5 each flight.
Can't help you with a syllabus, and mine would be from the late sixties if I had one.

When I left the Air Force, I was told it is OK to multiply your military hours by 1.3 to approximate civilian hours. I never bothered. It would have added 428 hours.

Hmm, that would work for short flights, but if you did US to SEA with refuelings, that would be a bit more for ground time. :)

I need to pull out my military logbook and compare to my electronic log book. Not sure of the extra time ended up there.

This is interesting reading - https://www.aetc.af.mil/Portals/88/Documents/history/AFD-070130-081.pdf?ver=2016-01-12-160015-923

It seems your syllabus was 30 hours in the T-41, then 90 hours T-37 and 120 hours in the T-38. By the time I went through, only 14 hours in the T-41 if needed (USAFA and Private exempted), then 77 hours T-37 and 101 in the T-38.

But I know that in my class, many people had over 200 hours jet time when the graduated. I was at 170.x and was the second lowest hours in my class. I got beat by 0.3 IIRC.

Last edited:
It seems your syllabus was 30 hours in the T-41, then 90 hours T-37 and 120 hours in the T-38. By the time I went through, only 14 hours in the T-41 if needed (USAFA and Private exempted), then 77 hours T-37 and 101 in the T-38.
That is correct. We had a total of 240 hours upon getting our wings. After that, for me, it was the right seat of a C-130 for about two and a half years, which turned out to be a wonderful job, much to my surprise. Over to the left seat in 1972 in Southeast Asia, until discharge a few days after the cease fire agreement in 1973.

Back