What taxiway to use when getting off the runway?

I can see get exciting with head on taxi traffic. I've had that the past TWO flights and they just kept coming at the pilot controlled field I fly out of ... BOTH times they were head down and not on frequency:mad::mad::mad:

During Operation Good Cheer last year, had some numbnut blocking the only taxiway (which was at the midpoint of the runway) off the runway. I could have made the turn off, but nope. Had to roll to the end of the runway, let 4 other planes land, then we all taxied back after Sir Numbnuts taxied out. Hey doofus, you know there's planes coming in and that's why you are holding, but why the eff are you right up against the hold short line so no one else can get off the runway. All 5 of us that had to wait had some passive aggressive conversation on the radio as to why we were at the end of the runway waiting. "Just roll out and wait down here with the rest of us, the taxiway is blocked."

Just got the "Please expedite to the intersecting runway exit after landing" call on a 1 mile final today "Gulfstream 5 miles behind" . I made it, so did he. No lollygagging allowed.

During Operation Good Cheer last year, had some numbnut blocking the only taxiway (which was at the midpoint of the runway) off the runway. I could have made the turn off, but nope. Had to roll to the end of the runway, let 4 other planes land, then we all taxied back after Sir Numbnuts taxied out. Hey doofus, you know there's planes coming in and that's why you are holding, but why the eff are you right up against the hold short line so no one else can get off the runway. All 5 of us that had to wait had some passive aggressive conversation on the radio as to why we were at the end of the runway waiting. "Just roll out and wait down here with the rest of us, the taxiway is blocked."

I haven't been flying as long as many here (stated in 2006), but my CFI did the job right. He ALWAYS was pointing out annoying behavior stating,"Don't be THAT guy!".

Only time I'm head down is at start-up checking instruments for 2 seconds and then in the run-up area (not blocking) to make sure GPS set, ADSB operating plus the usual stuff. Have had guys start up in the T-Hangar lines and SIT forever doing who knows what forcing a shutdown:mad:

Oh this guy was heads up watching all of us extend roll out all the way to the end of the runway. I can tell you where his head was though.

Tell the guy in the the tower to “standby” and he will. No reason for the controller to be giving any instructions while you are touching down.

I’ve told the tower to “standby until I’ve exited the runway” and they always are ok with it.

Tell the guy in the the tower to “standby” and he will. No reason for the controller to be giving any instructions while you are touching down.

I’ve told the tower to “standby until I’ve exited the runway” and they always are ok with it.

If that was for me, I was a mile maybe two out on the ILS. I was fine with it, but if it bothers you then I completely agree.

"Ok, but I was going to tell your to roll down and exit on A8 so you wouldn't have to wait for the 6 bizjets already taxiing to the runway you landed on. Hold north if taxiway A."

No, I haven't heard that snarky controller remark, but I have seen that scenario. It is the reason for my previous comment about situational awareness.

Besides info above:
It's ok to call tower and say that you missed taxiway exit as instructed. They may give you the next one or they may say turn 180 and taxi back to that exit.

Yup... This. "Unable Alpha-One. How about a 180 or Alpha-Two?"

Now I'm wondering. Anyone ever get Taxi instructions that were Romeo and Juliet? Todays challenge is find an airport where it could happen.

Many years ago on a US Navy ship that is now razor blades, our randomly assigned 24hr in-the-clear HF callsign was R8J. We never answered so many radio checks in one 24 hour period. Sailors can be so juvenile.

If that was for me, I was a mile maybe two out on the ILS. I was fine with it, but if it bothers you then I completely agree.

It was just more of a general comment. I had a guy when I landed at Hyannis Mass a few months back start grilling me the second I touched down about what FBO I was going to and I was still not off the runway. Sometimes my experience is that controllers want to be helpful but unless they are pilots themselves they don’t really have a sense of what is going on in the airplane and basically just need to be reminded that as pilots our first job is to fly the plane and then talk to them.

Again I don’t ever get aggressive with the tower or use an assertive tone but a simple “ just standby for one second here as I exit the runway” is usually enough to get the point across. That’s how I handled they Hyannis situation and the tower understood. Also my experience tells me that if the ground guy needs you to exit at a certain turnoff they will tell you as you are rolling down the runway. In that case I don’t have an issue with that but that’s not a common scenario at the airports I fly in and out of.

It was just more of a general comment. I had a guy when I landed at Hyannis Mass a few months back start grilling me the second I touched down about what FBO I was going to and I was still not off the runway. Sometimes my experience is that controllers want to be helpful but unless they are pilots themselves they don’t really have a sense of what is going on in the airplane and basically just need to be reminded that as pilots our first job is to fly the plane and then talk to them.

Again I don’t ever get aggressive with the tower or use an assertive tone but a simple “ just standby for one second here as I exit the runway” is usually enough to get the point across. That’s how I handled they Hyannis situation and the tower understood. Also my experience tells me that if the ground guy needs you to exit at a certain turnoff they will tell you as you are rolling down the runway. In that case I don’t have an issue with that but that’s not a common scenario at the airports I fly in and out of.

I definitely agree with getting taxi instructions as the wheels touch or shortly thereafter. I don't have enough bandwidth for that.

Back