What should I read.....

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
To brush up on instrument flying? Haven't flown IFR in almost 3 years...I'm really rusty and I'm going to be direct hiring into a Caravan with IFR ops specs

Maybe take a few practice IFR written tests and see how much of the regulations and procedures you remember? Other than that, I'd say go out and fly with either a safety pilot or instructor and get comfortable flying IFR again. Then get an IPC and call it good.

I think you might be surprised how quick it comes back.

Try Art Parma's book, its an abreviated IPC format that won't put you to sleep. But, is packed with good review info.

Also, what ever GPS system you're gonna be flying with, get the pilot's guide and memorize it.

512kHbdl5rL.jpg

Instrument Flying Handbook and Instrument Procedures Handbook.

I used these and also, Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot. I recommend that book as a quick reference. He covers a lot of ground, condenses it to the essential information and provides reference for further reading and study.

Work all the VOR questions in the IFR test question database. Not that VORs matter much anymore, but they want you to know that stuff. Also, hold instructions and and other hold details. For that matter, you may want to take a practice test or two. Do you still know how to do a weight and balance?

Peter Dogan's book and Rod Machado's book are good.

I'm actually wondering if this is a New Years joke. You fly everyday, all day in Alaska and I'm sure that's imc more than 50% of the time. I'd think you'd fly 80% ifr. I'm thinking if you want a technical brush up something online would suffice or pureuse the far's. Do you fly ifr gps everywhere? Never checked for vor,s in Alaska. If your talking about doing the interview I'd say online would work best. Joe

Wait a minute, aren't you already flying in AK?
That's like as ifr as it gets (even though you may claim vmc).

:D

AIM section 1: Navigation Aids
AIM Section 4: ATC Clearances
AIM chapter 5: Air Traffic Procedures

Rod Machado's Instrument Flying Handbook is quite good with nice color photographs and illustrations to go with his offbeat sense of humor. Nice break from the dry FAA texts.

Having recently been through similar adding inst airplane to helicopter instrument, the AOPA ASF interactive courses and quizzes are a great refresher

I'm actually wondering if this is a New Years joke. You fly everyday, all day in Alaska and I'm sure that's imc more than 50% of the time. I'd think you'd fly 80% ifr. I'm thinking if you want a technical brush up something online would suffice or pureuse the far's. Do you fly ifr gps everywhere? Never checked for vor,s in Alaska. If your talking about doing the interview I'd say online would work best. Joe

After my 4 years flying pt 135 in SE Alaska, I can tell you your IFR stick and rudder skills stay reasonable, but the procedural stuff goes away. I'm back in the lower 48, and the re-learning curve was steep.

Also, while most part 135 operators in AK have the Chelton glass panels, it differs quite a bit from Garmin stuff so you lose familiarity there too.

I used these and also, Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot. I recommend that book as a quick reference. He covers a lot of ground, condenses it to the essential information and provides reference for further reading and study.

I highly recommend this book. Worth every penny. I have a buddy getting his instrument rating now, this is the only book I wouldn't loan out or give to him, because I actually reference it on a regular basis.

I highly recommend this book. Worth every penny. I have a buddy getting his instrument rating now, this is the only book I wouldn't loan out or give to him, because I actually reference it on a regular basis.

Have you ever tried the Everything Explained iPad app? It's $70 tho. :eek:

Have you ever tried the Everything Explained iPad app? It's $70 tho. :eek:

Nope. Bought the book for $50. I would go with the book version. I can read a novel on an ipad but I would hate flipping around for reference purposes in that format.

Re: Everything Explained

Nope. Bought the book for $50. I would go with the book version. I can read a novel on an ipad but I would hate flipping around for reference purposes in that format.

I waste money on dumber stuff than this so I downloaded it just now. :D

Those interested in the book might consider the app. It has TOC, search, bookmark, robust annotation & highlight features, has a multipage view (2x4 tiled pages) and even has an alphabetical index.

If it's on my iPad it will be with me and that's what I need. Worth the extra 20 bucks IMHO.

Looks like I just found my new go-to reference. Thanks for the recommendation.

Read the "next word that comes to mind" thread.

Among other books that have been listed above, this book by Bob Gardner is definitely a great read. Not so much geared towards passing a test, but being a good pilot. I'm using it in addition to other material while doing my IFR training.

51LOA2Ayu1L._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

+1 on Bob Gardner book The Complete Advanced Pilot. It is good stuff.

I dunno. That Bob guy is kinda sketchy. He hangs around here, after all! ;) ;) ;)

LOL well the nice thing about reading books from experts who hang out here like Bob is that we can get direct feedback from the source :)

Back