What should I pay for a Flighstream 510?

I prefer pulling the sd cards out to update... it takes way too long for the databases to sync across units...

Can you use a FS 510 for rentals? That is pop the FS into the 650 in the plane you rent, upload your flight plan, etc. When flight is over pop out the FS out of the memory slot card and go home.

Or is it more complicated than that?
Its really no more complicated than that EXCEPT the GTN software has to be up to date enough to work with it. I would guess a lot of rentals never see an update. If you look at the change log, you'll also see a lot of features have been added over time. It's easy to check the gtn software version, though.
Can you automatically update the GTN 650 software from the FS510? My 650 came with version 6.5 installed and I believe there was an update already when it left the avionics shop. Can’t get these guys to update it and looking for alternatives. Maybe buying the FS510 could solve both.

I have an A&P but not a Garmin dealer so they won’t work with me. Garmin’s forever answer is take it to the dealer as if it’s just that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. The gtn has to be updated by a dealer unless it's an experimental version. The update only takes about 15min though, so you should be able to fly to a dealer and have them do it while you wait.

I just checked the Maintenance Manual for the GTN 750 and updating the software requires to enter Configuration Mode and using a special "GTN Software Loader Card". So I guess it is not possible to inadvertently update the GTN software.

Last edited:
Nope. The gtn has to be updated by a dealer unless it's an experimental version. The update only takes about 15min though, so you should be able to fly to a dealer and have them do it while you wait.

I figured as much. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back