What should I do to kill time

You should read the PTS. It will tell you if the examiner wants a full stall or the first indication of the stall (i.e. buffeting). I think for my private ride the examiner wanted me to recover at the first indication of a stall. If you think a 152 is docile you should try flying a Warrior. Don't confuse breaking a stall with a nose down attitude. To break the stall, all you need to do is lower the angle of attack, which doesn't necessarily mean the nose has to be in a pitch down attitude. You can still recover from a stall even if the nose is pitched up. Angle of attack is not the same as pitch attitude.

The PTS changed in the last few years to require a full stall for private pilots. It was previously ambiguous.

I would hope the OP would be reading the PTS in order to determine if a mock check ride "went well." That can't be evaluated meaningfully outside the PTS.

The PTS changed in the last few years to require a full stall for private pilots. It was previously ambiguous.

I would hope the OP would be reading the PTS in order to determine if a mock check ride "went well." That can't be evaluated meaningfully outside the PTS.

:confused: I don't recall it being ambiguous.:dunno: Best I remember PP was always full stall to the break and CP was always 'Incipient Stall', recognize and recover at buffet.

:confused: I don't recall it being ambiguous.:dunno: Best I remember PP was always full stall to the break and CP was always 'Incipient Stall', recognize and recover at buffet.

The qualifier "fully developed" was added to the stall condition in the 2012 version of the PTS. Previously it just said recovery "after a stall occurred" which could be construed as "first indication."

Flew again Wednesday got my approach to landing stalls cleared up ran through the predicted practical again and it shouldn't be too bad unless I just choke on something.

Did turn to final stalls yesterday which continued my stalling issues. Have done them before but today with full flaps half fuel and maybe 300lbs between me and instructor (we are small guys) It just went 65Mph>55>45>40>40>40 and just stayed at 40 mph in a 15 or so degree bank at idle full elevator back and more or less level on the artificial horizon. I guess its good that its that docile but there was no break or anything instructor kept telling me to pull back when I was at full elevator till I told and showed him it was all the way back. Flew that way for another 5-6 seconds until we decided to recover. Is that normal? Its not a w/b issue i don't think cause we are well within the limits.

The qualifier "fully developed" was added to the stall condition in the 2012 version of the PTS. Previously it just said recovery "after a stall occurred" which could be construed as "first indication."

First indication that a stall has occurred (note occurred is past tense, not future) is the stall, not the prelude to the stall. The FAA had to add the wording because some people's reading comprehension sucks, what was meant has never changed. In 1990, it meant 'fully stall till the nose drops' that's what I was taught to practice, and that was what I was required to demonstrate on my check ride. There is no ambiguity there.

Last edited:
Flew again Wednesday got my approach to landing stalls cleared up ran through the predicted practical again and it shouldn't be too bad unless I just choke on something.

Did turn to final stalls yesterday which continued my stalling issues. Have done them before but today with full flaps half fuel and maybe 300lbs between me and instructor (we are small guys) It just went 65Mph>55>45>40>40>40 and just stayed at 40 mph in a 15 or so degree bank at idle full elevator back and more or less level on the artificial horizon. I guess its good that its that docile but there was no break or anything instructor kept telling me to pull back when I was at full elevator till I told and showed him it was all the way back. Flew that way for another 5-6 seconds until we decided to recover. Is that normal? Its not a w/b issue i don't think cause we are well within the limits.

Piper Cherokee I trained in would stall and just mush. Keep it level with the rudders and become a 'Falling Leaf' rapidly descending. Kind of fun.

If you were holding 40 KIAS level with the engine at idle, something wasn't as you thought. Either you were descending or the engine was well above idle. Or maybe there was a lot of rising air, but you would have felt that elsewhere, and had trouble descending at all. I suspect you were descending.

The nose does not always drop, at least not always by a lot. If you're all the way back and the aircraft still won't maintain altitude, you're probably stalled. Especially if you need a lot of rudder movement to stay upright.

Since you building time at the moment, add some weight to make sure you are in the back half of the CG envelope and try some stalls with your instructor. The stalls may be more like you expect with a break.

PS. I don't recall what kind of plane you are flying so mileage may vary.

Brian

First indication that a stall has occurred (note occurred is past tense, not future) is the stall, not the prelude to the stall. The FAA had to add the wording because some people's reading comprehension sucks, what was meant has never changed. In 1990, it meant 'fully stall till the nose drops' that's what I was taught to practice, and that was what I was required to demonstrate on my check ride. There is no ambiguity there.

There is an interesting separation between pilot and aerodynamicist meaning of "stall" here. It seems most pilots mean stall break = stall. Aerodynamically, it means the flow is separated from the top of the wing. The buffeting one feels prior to a break is not a "prelude" to a stall. It is a stall. It is short of fully developed, in the sense that the entire length of the wing is not yet stalled.

You were probably descending and never entered a stall.

Back