What ratings would I need?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
Jim owns a TBM700. He is not a pilot. Jim wants to hire me to fly him around in his airplane for his business.

Ratings? Airplane, single engine land. Instrument airplane if he wants it to be a useful airplane.

Applicable to your Commercial certificate, of course.

You'd also need high performance and complex endorsements. Probably a high altitude endorsement, although I don't know the certified ceiling of the TBM 700.

So a Commercial Single Engine Instrument Airplane rated pilot could legally take that gig? I am trying to figure out what I could do after getting my Commercial Rating. I was asked the other day if I could be someones pilot for their business plane. I wasn't sure if I needed an ATP for that.

So a Commercial Single Engine Instrument Airplane rated pilot could legally take that gig? I am trying to figure out what I could do after getting my Commercial Rating. I was asked the other day if I could be someones pilot for their business plane. I wasn't sure if I needed an ATP for that.
If it is his airplane, and he wants you to fly him around and pay you all you need is a Commercial license.

If it is his airplane, and he wants you to fly him around and pay you all you need is a Commercial license.

Cool... I know a few guys that have airplanes that also are not pilots. Might be something I could take advantage of down the road. :)

Part 91 operation. Commercial, high performance, high altitude and complex endorsements, enough hours and training to satisfy insurance.

Tell Jim I am currently available...;)

Even in 135 you don't need an ATP to be PIC of a TBM 700, at least according to the FAA regs. It's not a jet and it's not 12,500 max gross takeoff weight. The operator may want you to have an ATP but that is another question.

Part 91 operation. Commercial, high performance, high altitude and complex endorsements, enough hours and training to satisfy insurance.

Thanks.. I will be sure to pass your info along. :rolleyes: :D

Even in 135 you don't need an ATP to be PIC of a TBM 700, at least according to the FAA regs. It's not a jet and it's not 12,500 max gross takeoff weight. The operator may want you to have an ATP but that is another question.

Thanks. I did not know that.. So are there any 135 ops that hire with only those qualifications?

Maybe I misunderstood something, but why could I fly for a 135 operation but not offer scheduled/chartered flights in my own airplane?

Maybe I misunderstood something, but why could I fly for a 135 operation but not offer scheduled/chartered flights in my own airplane?
I'm assuming you don't have a 135 operating certificate. You might be able to put your airplane on an existing certificate, though.

Cool... I know a few guys that have airplanes that also are not pilots. Might be something I could take advantage of down the road. :)
Definitely do it! At our flight school, we have two guys that do not have their license but own Cirrus aircraft. We are allowed to operate the flight under Part 91 rules in their own plane and fly them around.

The ATP certificate isn't required for much. Its needed for 121 and scheduled ops to act as PIC maybe a thing or 2 else but that's it.

Thanks. I did not know that.. So are there any 135 ops that hire with only those qualifications?

Yes, plenty in Alaska. 500 hours and the ink still wet commercial ticket and you are hired for VFR operations.

The ATP certificate isn't required for much. Its needed for 121 and scheduled ops to act as PIC maybe a thing or 2 else but that's it.
You also need it in 135 if you are the PIC of either a jet or an airplane with 10 seats or more carrying passengers.

Last edited:
135 helo as well. Only a few of the high end helo jobs require an ATP. Most, COM with your class II.

That is the real determinant, no matter what the FARs say. I've been privileged to fly many airplanes for which a commercial ticket would have been just fine...but the insurer wanted an ATP with a first-class medical.

Bob Gardner

wow.. I was under the assumption the commercial certificate was not good for much. guess I was wrong. I would have been more motivated had I known. Thanks for the insight guys..

wow.. I was under the assumption the commercial certificate was not good for much. guess I was wrong. I would have been more motivated had I known. Thanks for the insight guys..
Lots of operations such as banner towing, skydiving, aerial photography will take you with a wet commercial ticket. Build up some hours and you can be in the right seat of Caravan carrying passengers.

That.

Many benifits to working a pt91 operation, as long as it pays enough for your time.

A ATP is great to have, just don't waste your time & money on a SE ATP.

sounds like you might want to add one additional rating.......Certified Flight Attendant

I clearly agree that a SEL ATP is a waste unless your company does it for you as part of an already needed check ride. Beyond that, save your money. Save it to get your MEL ATP. Many jobs, especially entry level do not require it, but it will make your resume stand out for an entry level job. Beyond entry level, although likely not required by FAA, virtually all your competition will have it. Get your ATP (ME).

Lots of operations such as banner towing, skydiving, aerial photography will take you with a wet commercial ticket. Build up some hours and you can be in the right seat of Caravan carrying passengers.

I couldn't see myself doing many of those. Is a commercial pilot allowed to fly local scenic tours with their own airplane?

sounds like you might want to add one additional rating.......Certified Flight Attendant

Already have that, just don't like to brag about it.

I couldn't see myself doing many of those. Is a commercial pilot allowed to fly local scenic tours with their own airplane?

There is an exemption in there for scenic flights under 25miles, but there are some restrictions. You should really have your CFI walk you through the ins and outs of the CPL privileges and limitations as it WILL be covered on the oral portion of the check ride, and since the PTS likes things to be scenario based most likely the DPE will make up some situation and ask you if it's legal. Mine gave me several.

There is an exemption in there for scenic flights under 25miles, but there are some restrictions. You should really have your CFI walk you through the ins and outs of the CPL privileges and limitations as it WILL be covered on the oral portion of the check ride, and since the PTS likes things to be scenario based most likely the DPE will make up some situation and ask you if it's legal. Mine gave me several.

Cool.. Thanks.

Or right seat in a large cabin jet making over $500/day but if someone wants to sit right seat in a 208 I won't hold that against them.

Last edited:
Or right seat in a large cabin jet making over $800/day but if someone wants to sit right seat in a 208 I won't hold that against them.

Not too many CP sitting right seat in a large cabin jet. I'm sure you can find the exception, but it's not the norm.

You also need it in 135 if you are the PIC of either a jet or an airplane with 10 seats or more carrying passengers.

Or 9 seats and less in a turbine or piston multi engine plane that is flying a scheduled service. But the same plane can be used for on demand charter with only a commercial certificate. :idea:

Not too many CP sitting right seat in a large cabin jet. I'm sure you can find the exception, but it's not the norm.

True. I just want people to know that the possibilities are mind numbing.

Wouldn't he still be acting as an operator if he's advertising and using his own plane? That is my understanding of the regs.

Wouldn't he still be acting as an operator if he's advertising and using his own plane? That is my understanding of the regs.

Most CFIs don't know that much about this stuff, better to talk to pilots who have been in the industry, and outside CFIing.

Also you need a FAA waiver for scenics now days, need commercial insurance, your AP on file, manadatory drug testing etc.

Back