What oil temp sensor is compatible with my guage?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
Have a US Gauge 19848 like this:
Does anyone know what temp probes are compatible with it?
05-07535.jpg

FYI: some/most probes are not field replaceable.
Thanks for the feedback. The instrument is installed in my Lancair experimental.
Do the oil temp probes share a common resistance to temp calibration or are there multiple types?

Do the oil temp probes share a common resistance to temp calibration or are there multiple types?
Depends on the type of probe. In very general terms... a thermocouple type probe will generate voltage (not resistance) due to temperature changes. A thermister type probe will alter resistance due to temperature changes. Most aircraft temp probes are of the thermocouple type which requires a calibration between the probe end and what the indicator sees at set temperatures regardless of system resistance.

If, as it appears, it's a non-electric capillary tube probe it's a sealed system; as Bell206 said the probe isn't replaceable. If it's an electric sender you need to know what type of sender it is.

US Gauge is now part of Ametek, why don't you ask them?

https://www.ametekusg.com/support

FWIW, around 35 years ago I had the original oil temp gauge in my 1941 Taylorcraft fail. This one was a capillary tube gauge, and it had worn through, no fault of the gauge itself. It was US gauge, somehow (this was pre internet) I learned that they were even then Ametek, and I called them asking about repairing it and how much would it cost. A new gauge was only $30 but the old gauge matched the other original instruments. The guy said to send it in and they'd look at it and let me know, no promises as it was so old. A couple of weeks later he called me back and said, "we have your gauge, it's done." I thought they meant it was done for, i.e. unrepairable, but no, they had already fixed it and just wanted to tell me they were sending it back. I asked what I owed them and he said, "we don't know how to figure out a price, so no charge."

As noted above, if your gauge is like the one you posted it is a mechanical temperature gauge. Short answer, you either remove the whole instrument and send it in for repair or you replace it. There is no "probe" that can be replaced.

Back