What?...no flu shot thread this year?

No thanks...I also don't intentionally stick my hand in the garbage disposal, or jump off the roof...

I have met someone who developed Guillain-Barré syndrome less than a week after she got a flu shot. She was paralyzed for 2 years.
Ah hah, N=1.
Knew they were coming.

At what value does N have to be before it is no longer dismissed?

79,000 out of 330,000,000 isnt very much either: 0.000263

I'd have to know 3,800 people personally before N=1 is the same ratio.

It sounds like you're describing a cold. Influenza can last up to two weeks and is accompanied by high fever and some pretty god-awful symptoms. If it's only mildly annoying, it's not the flu.

Legit though, been through worse, plus it too likely, I’ll roll the dice with feeling like crap for a week or two.

I’m too da#m busy to get sick, so of course got my flu vaccine. Got the two dose shingles shots too. On the second one I did have some chills that night. Fine after that.

Where is the rabies shot thread?
We had a goat die of an undiagnosed (by UGA School of Veterinary Medicine) illness with predominantly neurological symptoms. So both Teresa and I received the rabies series. No big deal.

I have a rough history with IV’S and even blood draws. But these intramuscular injections into the arm/shoulder are really nothing. For me, anyway.

Yeah same with me. Don’t really care for blood draw but I’ve done so many I’ve gotten used to it. Seen some funny stuff with guys passing out after blood draws during flight physicals though.

A bit off topic, and I may have mentioned this before, but...

Vasovagal syncope (fainting) is a reflex, and has little to do with fear of needles or the associated pain.

I’ve only gone completely out once, but even short of that the lead up is quite unpleasant - sweating, dizziness, nausea, and/or intestinal cramping are no fun. The veins in my arms stand out nicely, but tend to “roll” and “collapse”, and once they start jiggling the needle...well, even typing that is making me sweat a bit.

But two things work for me:

1) I now have them start IV’s in the back of my hand/wrist. For whatever reason it just works better.

2) For years, it seemed to make sense to try to relax. I’d imagine myself on a beach with the sun on my face, slow steady breathing, that sort of thing. Never really helped that I could tell. Then I read on the internet that the opposite was recommended - instead of relaxing, which lowers blood pressure, you should ighten up your abdominals and leg muscles as much as possible as they start the IV/draw. That raises blood pressure which tends to avoid beginning the cycle that can lead to such unpleasantness or fainting.

Those two things together, or possibly the placebo effect of expecting them to work, has made the whole process much, much less unpleasant for me.

Last edited:
A bit off topic, and I may have mentioned this before, but...

Vasovagal syncope (fainting) is a reflex, and has little to do with fear of needles or the associated pain.

I’ve only gone completely out once, but even short of that the lead up is quite unpleasant - sweating, dizziness, nausea, and/or intestinal cramping are no fun. The veins in my arms stand out nicely, but tend to “roll” and “collapse”, and once they start jiggling the needle...well, even typing that is making me sweat a bit.

But two things work for me:

1) I now have them start IV’s in the back of my hand/wrist. For whatever reason it just works better.

2) For years, it seemed to make sense to try to relax. I’d imagine myself on a beach with the sun on my face, slow steady breathing, that sort of thing. Never really helped that I could tell. Then I read on the internet that the opposite was recommended - instead of relaxing, which lowers blood pressure, tighten up your abdominals and leg muscles as much as possible as they start the IV/draw. That raises blood pressure which tends to avoid beginning the cycle that can lead to such unpleasantness or fainting.

Those two things together, or possibly the placebo effect of expecting them to work, has made the whole process much, much less unpleasant for me.

This reminds me, I’d like to try to stare at a goat one day

Back