What makes a pilot do this?

I commuted on a pretty big bike for a long time in Manhattan. At 30-40 mph average speed wearing a helmet, yes it's dangerous but it's no where near the instant death represented by this video.

The two funerals I've been to involving friends on motorcycles would beg to differ. Neither really knew what hit them, though. One probably had about ten seconds of hard braking to realize he wasn't going to make it before he hit the telephone pole. The other, the car on the side street ran the red light.

The two funerals I've been to involving friends on motorcycles would beg to differ. Neither really knew what hit them, though. One probably had about ten seconds of hard braking to realize he wasn't going to make it before he hit the telephone pole. The other, the car on the side street ran the red light.

I've never been to a motorcycle funeral. I've known people who died in light aircraft. Our anecdotes prove nothing. The point is both are dangerous, but on the motorcycle it's not certain death, just a good chance of death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure that pilot checked for wires before he flew down that river.

I've never been to a motorcycle funeral. I've known people who died in light aircraft. Our anecdotes prove nothing. The point is both are dangerous, but on the motorcycle it's not certain death, just a good chance of death.

Our anecdotes are somewhat meaningless, but the stats show the actual risk is nearly identical.

Our anecdotes are somewhat meaningless, but the stats show the actual risk is nearly identical.

The risk of the whole GA fleet is comparable to motorcycle riding. This guy was taking on way more risk than 99.9% of GA flights.

The risk of the whole GA fleet is comparable to motorcycle riding. This guy was taking on way more risk than 99.9% of GA flights.

Yeah but he was talking about it in terms of making the rest of GA "look bad" or something silly. Folks always want to believe they're the pilot nothing will happen to. This guy survived, Fate may be the Hunter and whack the "supposedly safer pilot" tomorrow.

The person in the video is now at 100% likelihood to have completed their flight in one piece. The rest of us flying "tomorrow" have no such guarantee.

Harrison Ford may land on us at the Hold line. Never know.

True but unless this guy managed to scare himself somehow, which he probably didn't, it won't be his last such flight. I suppose it's his right and all, assuming he isn't renting the plane, but I'm also guessing he doesn't want to die. I'm guessing he enjoys life, based on that thrill ride!

True but unless this guy managed to scare himself somehow, which he probably didn't, it won't be his last such flight. I suppose it's his right and all, assuming he isn't renting the plane, but I'm also guessing he doesn't want to die. I'm guessing he enjoys life, based on that thrill ride!

Go watch the guy's other videos. I think that flight was about the tamest thing I've seen.

What's his YouTube channel?

What's his YouTube channel?

click on the username under the video in youtube.

Video was uploaded in 2012. Guy apparently is still alive.

I'm using Tapatalk on iPhone, can't get to the YouTube web view, will have to boot up the computer later.

Yeah but he was talking about it in terms of making the rest of GA "look bad" or something silly. Folks always want to believe they're the pilot nothing will happen to. This guy survived, Fate may be the Hunter and whack the "supposedly safer pilot" tomorrow.

The person in the video is now at 100% likelihood to have completed their flight in one piece. The rest of us flying "tomorrow" have no such guarantee.

Harrison Ford may land on us at the Hold line. Never know.

I don't know why but I laughed for a good 5 minutes from your last sentence.

It really isn't that risky once you get used to it. It becomes comfortable and relatively easy. I

I will spend 3-4 hours doing mostly 0-100 AGL, and sometimes even negative AGL (in some tight canyons that your only option is to climb and sidestep).

Nothing like fresh pine scent or safe scent coming in the air vents as your prop churns the air.

Some people need to expand their flying envelope.

click on the username under the video in youtube.

Video was uploaded in 2012. Guy apparently is still alive.
Judging from his other videos(mostly jumping) I would suspect that the pilot was not the same guy. One flying video(in the airplane). Maybe his pilot friend? Then again maybe he just went to an FBO and convinced them to rent him a plane and he went for it based on his MSFS experience. Who knows.

Last edited:

What difference does it make whether or not he was renting the aircraft? If he wasn't violating any part of the rental agreement, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

One day I was zooming (if even possible in a C152) down the Tombigbee R. in MS just off the wawa on a weekend day, and I noticed a few guys on the bank fishing as I zoomed by, actually below them 'cause I be low flying. Monday rolls around and I go to work at the RAPCON (USAF approach control) and I'm sitting in the briefing room before we all go in the radar room to work, just minding my own business. Everyone is BS'g, except me since I'm a serious dude ya know, and I hear these guys talking about their fishing trip and that crazy ****ing airplane flying down the river. Uh oh I think to myself. It gets quiet. One of 'em (I swear there was smoke coming out of his ears, guess the bulb really went off) looks at me and says ('cause they knew I was a pelot) "Mark was that you"?! Of course I denied it, but for some reason they weren't buying it. But hey, it was fun, safe too, if you know what you're doing. Now that bridge, no, that wasn't me that flew under it. It wasn't damnit!

What difference does it make whether or not he was renting the aircraft? If he wasn't violating any part of the rental agreement, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

You can bet if he were renting and the owner saw that video, he wouldn't ever touch the plane again.

Working on his mad skills.
Good on him. Until he kills himself or someone else.

As a former military pilot I would do this, in an F-4E at 600kts, in order to STAY alive.
It's all about what you want out of life.
There's nothing wrong with going out at 120 miles and hour with your hair on fire, if that's what you want to do.

I love your posts.

You can bet if he were renting and the owner saw that video, he wouldn't ever touch the plane again.

Possibly, but that doesn't mean he violated any rules/contracts unless low-altitude flight was explicitly prohibited. If it's an FBO with a bunch of other aircraft, they may not like it, but if he's got insurance coverage I don't know if it'd be enough to prohibit him renting again.

Possibly, but that doesn't mean he violated any rules/contracts unless low-altitude flight was explicitly prohibited. If it's an FBO with a bunch of other aircraft, they may not like it, but if he's got insurance coverage I don't know if it'd be enough to prohibit him renting again.

You don't need any reason to refuse to rent to someone...

Oh really? And what does 14 CFR 91.119 say? Granted he wasn't flying over anything that LOOKED like it would be damaged, but still..just because it only looked that way doesn't necessarily mean it WAS that way.

Oh really? And what does 14 CFR 91.119 say? Granted he wasn't flying over anything that LOOKED like it would be damaged, but still..just because it only looked that way doesn't necessarily mean it WAS that way.
So . . . your argument is based on what might have happened, huh? Since neither you, nor I, was in the aircraft during this event, it's pointless to play the speculation game and throw out every regulation (FAA and local) that could be in question. He could have been completely within every reg, or violated a dozen. No proof either way.

You don't need any reason to refuse to rent to someone...

I wasn't implying they'd need a legal reason to prohibit him from renting. I was implying that they may not care if the person didn't damage or mistreat the aircraft in any way, and is insured so that is covers the loss of their aircraft, and revenue from loss of use. They would be made whole and continue on. Whether that's a prudent decision is up to the rental outfit, but no reason to assume one way or the other, especially if this guy was renting the bird for 20 hours a month.

I wasn't implying they'd need a legal reason to prohibit him from renting. I was implying that they may not care if the person didn't damage or mistreat the aircraft in any way, and is insured so that is covers the loss of their aircraft, and revenue from loss of use. They would be made whole and continue on. Whether that's a prudent decision is up to the rental outfit, but no reason to assume one way or the other, especially if this guy was renting the bird for 20 hours a month.

I'd be scared of my liability if it was shown I knew how my plane was being used.

So . . . your argument is based on what might have happened, huh? Since neither you, nor I, was in the aircraft during this event, it's pointless to play the speculation game and throw out every regulation (FAA and local) that could be in question. He could have been completely within every reg, or violated a dozen. No proof either way.

Of course, what else is there? If someone drinks 10 beers in an hour and drives home without incident I hope some thought is given to what "might" have happened instead of what did happen.

So nothing happened, this time. What about next time when the guy uses historical results to justify doing another one of these flights and kills three people?

Of course, what else is there? If someone drinks 10 beers in an hour and drives home without incident I hope some thought is given to what "might" have happened instead of what did happen.

So nothing happened, this time. What about next time when the guy uses historical results to justify doing another one of these flights and kills three people?

So what happens if it's Patty Wagstaff going out for a joyride? What if this guy has done this exact route 100 times without incident, are we going to play the "what if" game every time he does it? JFC, it's pointless to play the what-if game ad infintum.

I'd be scared of my liability if it was shown I knew how my plane was being used.

Certainly a concern, but that's definitely a grey area if it was shown that no regs were busted in the video you saw. . . although liability in a civil case can be unpredictable. What is the liability of an owner/operator who has seen a video in which no laws were broken, but the risk level was increased due to low-altitude maneuvers?

Would be easy to argue either 91.119 or careless and reckless in civil court...

Would be easy to argue either 91.119 or careless and reckless in civil court...

I suppose, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure what the burden of proof is for a civil case (obviously not the same as criminal case law). If it was shown that proper planning and care was taken for the flight, and the flight had been made numerous times without incident, then it becomes less careless and reckless. Like I said, all sorts of what-ifs can be thought up to justify renting or not renting to the guy, but chances are, it was his aircraft anyway.

I suppose, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure what the burden of proof is for a civil case (obviously not the same as criminal case law). If it was shown that proper planning and care was taken for the flight, and the flight had been made numerous times without incident, then it becomes less careless and reckless. Like I said, all sorts of what-ifs can be thought up to justify renting or not renting to the guy, but chances are, it was his aircraft anyway.

Maybe. But I believe there are more renters than owners. And a lot of Cherokees and 172s are disproportionately rentals.

Leave some up trip in there in case you let go..
I learned that tip from Dudley Henriques. He used to fly a P-51 at airshows. He said that only a very small amount of nose-up is required or desired, because you don't want to stall if you let go and you don't want your arms to tire out. Additional upside is that there's a certain slop in controls that loading them takes out.

...chances are, it was his aircraft anyway.

I think this is just a glass half full/empty discussion. You see a video of some guy flying 2 feet off the ground and immediately give him the benefit of the doubt arguing since nothing can be proven, he's immediately free of any blame and why should we care? Nothing happened and so what? It's his plane, so what?

I see it and say, boy, that guy is a moron for doing that and even more stupid for making a video out of it. Immediately I think, what makes him so special that the rules don't apply to him, that he thinks he is above reproach because he did something "cool". I think of what could have happened and what may happen again if he isn't shut down because...hazardous attitudes don't simply "go away". This is the guy that will take a passenger up and stall a plane or barrel roll a 172 because...well just because..

Personal preference I guess..

Your 10 beer driver broke the law. DUI is illegal, regardless of any incident or not. What reg did the pilot violate? -Skip

I think this is just a glass half full/empty discussion. You see a video of some guy flying 2 feet off the ground and immediately give him the benefit of the doubt arguing since nothing can be proven, he's immediately free of any blame and why should we care? Nothing happened and so what? It's his plane, so what?

I see it and say, boy, that guy is a moron for doing that and even more stupid for making a video out of it. Immediately I think, what makes him so special that the rules don't apply to him, that he thinks he is above reproach because he did something "cool". I think of what could have happened and what may happen again if he isn't shut down because...hazardous attitudes don't simply "go away". This is the guy that will take a passenger up and stall a plane or barrel roll a 172 because...well just because..

Personal preference I guess..

Exactly. Everyone's risk tolerance and experiences will shape what they consider dangerous or risky. It was covered earlier in the thread, but it comes down to when does it become "safe/non-reckless"? 10ft AGL? 100ft? 1,000ft? For those that regularly stay low (crop dusters, pipeline guys, ultralights, etc., this may not look too much different than what they do on a fairly regular basis. For those who only spend time below 1K' AGL when they're in the traffic pattern, this is a man with a death wish who is doing every pilot a disservice. Perception and opinion is never finite!

Exactly. Everyone's risk tolerance and experiences will shape what they consider dangerous or risky. It was covered earlier in the thread, but it comes down to when does it become "safe/non-reckless"? 10ft AGL? 100ft? 1,000ft? For those that regularly stay low (crop dusters, pipeline guys, ultralights, etc., this may not look too much different than what they do on a fairly regular basis. For those who only spend time below 1K' AGL when they're in the traffic pattern, this is a man with a death wish who is doing every pilot a disservice. Perception and opinion is never finite!

This guy was flying over an uneven rocky stream bed and I bet his nose gear was at times within feet of the ground. Not tens of feet, but a couple feet of the ground. If he had maintained even 25 feet I don't think many of us would have had the same reaction.

Back