What makes a booth at OSH good?

Still waiting to know more about product or service, and location of booth at the show.

Still waiting to know more about product or service, and location of booth at the show.
If I don't know the product or the service, then I have absolutely no interest in the location of the booth at the show.

Mobile friendly website with outstanding user experience and full product details/current prices. I will just go to the website if really interested then circle back later with any additional questions.

Be an experienced user of the product - be able to tell us deeper details; things that aren’t in the brochure. Be open about the negatives, and about installation and maintenance.

Some big but quiet fans if you're in one of the exhibit hangars for when it gets hot. I very well may buy your widget if it isn't too expensive or completely irrelevant to me and I get to hang out in the fan breeze while trying to figure out where my friends have wandered off to...

I’ve been to far too many trade shows (and Oshkosh too). Products solve a problem or make something easier to accomplish. If the booth has something that does that for me I’ll pop in.

Thanks for the great input guys! Would be great to meet you personally so please stop by. We'll make sure to have cold refreshments and interesting conversations. If anybody is using SD Cards (e.g. for avionics logs or databases) we'll have a stock of our "sd card misplacement avoiders" for you. Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 01.17.27.png

Now that we know more about your offering, I'll make some additional suggestions:
1. A 60-90 second looped video showing your software in action. SILENT!! No Narration and No Music. Maybe a 30-40 inch video screen since you're outside and need to keep this out of sunlight so it is readable.
2. Be prepared to talk about how your software will work with ANY avionics out there (as much as you can). Even if booth staff consult a list, they're going to need to answer "Will this work with my avionics?"
3. Lots of water and Gatorade for the staff. I strongly recommend cough drops, too - it's lots more talking than you're used to.
4. Be prepared for skepticism and possibly hostility. GA is not too much an 'early adopter' crowd and you'll likely get a lot of 'What does this do for me?" and "How does this compare to perceived competition?"
5. If you're setting meetings for prospect conversations, due it outside of airshow hours or the sound/visual distraction will be too much.
Good luck. I'll stop by!

3. Lots of water and Gatorade for the staff.

Nix the Gatorade. A better product are Sqwincher QuickStik packs. One pack in one bottole of water. Two per day is plenty. Available from Amazon.

Sports drinks are designed for playing sports. High in sodium and high in sugar. Sqwincher is for industrial, work use. Lower sodium, higher potassium, no sugar (with the QuikStiks).

A number of years ago local SCCA region dropped 9 people in one racing season from heat stress. I provided training in the off season. Eight of the nine dropped within 45 minutes of drinking a sport's drink. Got them off the sport's drinks and NO issues for over 10 years.

Looking forward to learning more next week

Pinecone wrote: "Nix the Gatorade. A better product are Sqwincher QuickStik packs. One pack in one bottle of water. Two per day is plenty. Available from Amazon."

Thank you!! I've been looking for a better, healthier, lower-sugar alternative to Gatorade-type sports drinks. I usually water them down 50-50 or 35-65. The sugar-free alternatives seem very chemical. I'll check these out.

Yeah, don't leave all the tech guys at home that actually know how it works. If you can only spare one tech guy, bring the best one, not the moron.

Let me do something I can't do at home. Turn knobs, see the display, try it on, listen to it.

Give me easy access to the tech people that I can show them what problem I have that isn't bad enough to call.
Your tech people will learn a lot, as will you customers. This will impress future customers.
Watch your people, the guy that starts answering a customers question and then had 5 other people their listening to what he is saying is guy you want there.

You do have to be careful which tech person you bring, there are some tech people that shouldn't be allowed in public:).

Brian

One demo I would love to see at the show is a comparison between this and ForeFlight flight log.

Good luck!

One demo I would love to see at the show is a comparison between this and ForeFlight flight log.

Good luck!
Longtime FF power user and big fan here. Love their tracklog function, quick and easy review. Can't imagine flying without FF.

FlySto's idea is giving full immersion into one's flights by doing

- this (Cockpit view) https://www.flysto.net/logs/9xwxrvkt/approaches/0?view=cockpit
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 00.21.13.png

and this (comparing actual achieved performance vs. book values) https://www.flysto.net/logs/yehy00tz/departures/0?view=2d#tp

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 00.21.55.png

or this (upload your video and it will sync to a corresponding avionics logfile) https://www.flysto.net/logs/776uhz01/approaches/2?view=video

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 00.22.23.png

Our newest feature will show you who was close to you, or if you were in a zone of wake turbulence https://www.flysto.net/logs/1wdr16ws/approaches/0?view=2d

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 00.23.33.png

Last edited:
This looks great..and I've been in IT for a long time and generally hate software.
Some suggestions, in addition to the good ones above:

1. Pilots are generally smart and cautious. So be prepared to discuss what data is directly known, and what is inferred. By that I mostly mean aircraft attitude.

2. Related to 1 - I've looked at similar but less advanced looking things in the past, and they're not quick enough or have enough direct data to help anyone improve their skills from pattern altitude on final to runway. There are two threads right now about student pilots having trouble with this, I'm positive there are more. If this could incorporate some sort of plug in attitude reference or use the aircraft's reference, it could maybe help diagnose landing problems.

3. Related to 2 - You're going to get a lot of inquiries, I bet, from CFI's, CFII's and flight schools about how to use this to improve their efficiency. For cheap, of course. Figure out how to have it help grade a mock checkride and you're going to make some people really happy and others maybe angry.

4. People are going to ask how to incorporate this into their 1970 PA-28 with 1 VOR and no GPS.

Good luck!

Link takes me to a blank screen.
I ran into that, too. It needs javascript to display.

OP - that's a thing for some. Most web pages either display a simplified page for those that choose not to use JS on unknown sites, or a note that notifies people that they need JS. For sales or marketing oriented sites, I mostly see the former.

I ran into that, too. It needs javascript to display.

OP - that's a thing for some. Most web pages either display a simplified page for those that choose not to use JS on unknown sites, or a note that notifies people that they need JS. For sales or marketing oriented sites, I mostly see the former.
I don't have javascript disabled and it's still blank. Unless the content is being delivered from a questionable source that's on most dns block lists, the site's broken. Not a good look for a technology company. Oddly, all the sample pages work.

Weird. I didn't do anything special except enable js on the site. Quick inspect didn't show anything weird, all looks like coming from the same site, except one 401 error for https://www.flysto.net/api/profile, and that several of the responses came back tagged "slow", being over 300-500ms returning. Looked like maybe 80+ different downloads, a little less than 10 MB total. Turning js back off it goes to a blank page, and an error about not being able to download a font. I'm not using anything special for a browser, fairly recent but not most recent Firefox on Windows. Only block thing I have relevant to this is noscript. My DNS is just spectrum, and they're far from good at blocking things in my experience.

Edit - maybe it's just being slow because of the millions of people that use POA to decide where to browse each day?

Thanks for the feedback, so far we never had anyone complain about the website, we will try to fix it asap.

Hi,
can you share your OS and browser (versions) so we can investigate the problem on the website you had? Thanks!
I don't have javascript disabled and it's still blank. Unless the content is being delivered from a questionable source that's on most dns block lists, the site's broken. Not a good look for a technology company. Oddly, all the sample pages work.

Hi,
can you share your OS and browser (versions) so we can investigate the problem on the website you had? Thanks!

Granted, I had to manually induce the fault, but Brave. Disabled scripts (a function of the browser). Having a message that doesn't require scripts and says something like, "JS is required for this website to function" wouldn't be amiss.

If I re-enable scripts, the site loads fine.

That shouldn't be. What OS/Browser versions are you using?

That shouldn't be. What OS/Browser versions are you using?

Win 10, 22H2.

Brave, 1.52.130.

To demonstrate, I had to (video) record my screen. Snipping tool can't capture what needs to be shown. It's all of five seconds long. If you want, I could send it to you. Long story short, the Brave browser has "security" options which include the ability to disable all scripts on a given website. If this functionality is disabled, the site loads just fine.

Serious question.

I have the pleasure of arranging an exhibit at the upcoming EAA Air Venture in OSH.

We will have a tent with 27 inch iMac demo stations, video screens, rollups etc. to showcase. We’ll also have some chairs and roundtables to get good conversations started. I am finalizing our exhibit and besides extending a warm welcome to all of you to come by, I am also curious to hear from you what you would like to see in a great OSH booth? Free drinks? Food? Quiet and “loungy” style or loud and flashy? What were some of the things at exhibitors you remembered during previous OSH visits that were great?

Thanks for your remarks!
booth babes

booth babes

If they're on the engineering team, even better. Years ago I was at a conference on IT security stuff, and walked up to ask the only person at a particular booth a tech question about their product line. I figured I'd get a card and a promise that someone would call, because she fit the booth babe category. Nope! She was one of their product leads, and knew the thing backwards and forwards.

So has anyone visited the OP's booth at Osh yet? Did he pay attention to all our helpful suggestions?

Stopped by the booth today and really like the functionality. If you get the custom aircraft profile for us E-AB/E-LSA folks implemented I think you’ll have a winner.

I stopped by on Tuesday. Nice meeting you, Patrick. Good luck with your product. It’s pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMG_2779.jpeg
    IMG_2779.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 11
Thank you for stopping by, great to see you!
You can upload and get the functionality already now for any log data/aircraft types, all we need is the Vs0. We’ll also get user defined aircraft profiles as you suggested.

That’s a pretty slick product; my first impression off the website is cloudahoy got smashed with real telemetry data and ADS-B targets in a useful debriefing interface.

Serious question.

I have the pleasure of arranging an exhibit at the upcoming EAA Air Venture in OSH.

We will have a tent with 27 inch iMac demo stations, video screens, rollups etc. to showcase. We’ll also have some chairs and roundtables to get good conversations started. I am finalizing our exhibit and besides extending a warm welcome to all of you to come by, I am also curious to hear from you what you would like to see in a great OSH booth? Free drinks? Food? Quiet and “loungy” style or loud and flashy? What were some of the things at exhibitors you remembered during previous OSH visits that were great?

Thanks for your remarks!

Most people who attend EAA Airventure are technically inclined people, so don't bring anyone who is going to answer "I am just a sales guy, you have to call our technical team Monday through Friday during business hours".

Back