What legal weirdness is this?

An interesting theory. I actually have a way to get a discount at Shell through a local grocery partnership. I’ll have to see if it works at a diesel pump so-labeled. I believe it has before.

Addressing Shell rebate on Shell credit card, Shell Fleet Card, and Shell Fuel Rewards

They seem awfully intent on telling you the diesel isn’t a Shell product in a city where all of the gas comes from one refinery anyway, so none of the gas at any pump is a “Shell product”. Ever. (The gasoline pumps are not so labeled.)

If it meets Shell's specs, and has Shell's additive package, then it's a Shell product.

Not all stations have leases/franchise agreements that require they sell ONLY company product (though most do... that's the only kind of contracts the majors LIKE to sign any more). But, when a station isn't required to sell branded product, they can do this kind of thing... selling NON branded, perhaps less expensive, perhaps a lesser additive package... but it has to be identified as such. Hence!

Sometimes there are stations with VERY old leases that didn't anticipate diesel coming to the corner station (or some doofus at headquarters renewed an old lease without updating the terms and conditions... it happens)... and those leases don't even discuss diesel. So the station operator can do what he wants to, but of course has to identify it as unbranded if, indeed, it is.

Paul

And they still tout “Techron” today, which is added to almost every fuel or fuel system cleaner out there now, as a simple detergent, and is added to their station fuel in incredibly tiny amounts.

I would think not... since Techron is a Chevron product, not a Shell product. And except for the very cheapest gasolines, no one is using detergents anymore as DCAs (deposit control additives), but instead amines *like* Techron (though arguably not as good, based on Big 3 automaker and EPA testing). Techron and the like are amines, not detergents. FWIW.

Paul, retired from Chevron after 38 years, but it's been almost five years, so I feel pretty much like a normal person now mode

I would think not... since Techron is a Chevron product, not a Shell product. And except for the very cheapest gasolines, no one is using detergents anymore as DCAs (deposit control additives), but instead amines *like* Techron (though arguably not as good, based on Big 3 automaker and EPA testing). Techron and the like are amines, not detergents. FWIW.

Paul, retired from Chevron after 38 years, but it's been almost five years, so I feel pretty much like a normal person now mode

Ahhh right. Shell’s name for theirs was “V-Power” and I don’t remember what it was before that.

Interesting article though I found the first sentence, "The World’s Most Famous Gas Station sits right next to the world’s most famous office building", to be interesting for two reasons. One, I had never heard of that gas station before. Two, although the Watergate is famous, I'd rate the Pentagon as a more famous office building along with the former WTC towers. Not sure what criteria was used to determine their fame.

Interesting article though I found the first sentence, "The World’s Most Famous Gas Station sits right next to the world’s most famous office building", to be interesting for two reasons. One, I had never heard of that gas station before. Two, although the Watergate is famous, I'd rate the Pentagon as a more famous office building along with the former WTC towers. Not sure what criteria was used to determine their fame.

They couldn’t go into detail about what goes on in the restroom. :) :) :)

Back