What kind of spider is this?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Hanging out above my front door. About 3" in length.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 235
HOLY F@#K!

Clearly that is the deadly deathkill spider named for saint deathkill, the patron saint of all things that are about to be killed in a bad way.

Those things travel in pairs.
And they multiply when you post on forums about them.

Sell your house.

Geezus! on a 2nd glance, I see it has a laser on its head.
We are all screwed.

Definitely looks venomous, and rabid. I think we swallow like a dozen spiders every year or something like that. You should be fine though, as long as u lock the front door.

HOLY F@#K!

Clearly that is the deadly deathkill spider named for saint deathkill, the patron saint of all things that are about to be killed in a bad way.

Those things travel in pairs.
And they multiply when you post on forums about them.

Sell your house.

You know what, I'll take ghosts ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Keep your damn spiders away from me!

You know what, I'll take ghosts ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Keep your damn spiders away from me!

Same here.
I spent a good hour looking for that spider on Google. It is going to be awesome trying to fall asleep tonight now.

Best I can tell, as long as he hasn't made eye contact with it, he still has a chance at survival. A small chance but he hasn't posted recently so hopefully he is still alive, and hopefully, he did the right thing and he's currently in his car a state or two away.

Looks like this spider devours people from the inside out, initially entering the body through the penis.

Godspeed Bart.

Well I can cross Triple Tree off my list, I'm not going in the same state as that monster.

That looks like a spider from the leavitrite family. They like to climb in peoples bed at night and lay eggs in your ear. You will never know it either. Every now and then you will feel a slight tickle as one of the eggs hatch and the baby spider crawls to freedom.

Leave it right (leavitrite) there and it won't bother you....:lol::lol::lol:

I think you got it. Around here, spiders are good except for Brown Recluse and Black Widows. They catch a lot of mosquitos and other bugs :).

When I drove home last night, I parked my Jeep in the driveway, and the headlights lit up something crawling up the garage door.

Went inside and got my flashlight for a better look. Turned out to be a black widow with a body the size of a nickel (seriously!).

Creeped me out. I don't like spiders.

If it's outside the house, or if it's a teeny tiny spider inside the house, I'll leave it alone. But if it's above a certain size and it's inside...SQUISH!

Yeah, anything that's a threat to me, dies.

The ones I hate around here are the spiders that spin the ginourmous webs (like 6' across) between the bushes, or the house and the patio cover, or... I don't know how they do it, but it's completely built sometime after sunset. Then this half dollar sized monster sits in the middle of it. I won't go outside at night without a flashlight.

I HATE spiders. I am in a house that has a pool and one thing I had to get used to was giant wolf spiders that are attracted to the water.

They can be close to the size of a deck of cards.
1. They fall into the pool and can LIVE FOR DAYS!!!!!!
2. Carry a friggin swarm of baby spiders on their backs!!!!

I guess they trap air in their legs somehow. They will just be on the bottom of the pool and they will start moving. It is damn creepy. And a time or two I have seen one walking around and I can see all the little ones squirming around on mom's back.

Ugh.

What ever.

I love feeding spiders in their weds. Live in the jungle for a few day, you'll get over it. They are cool to watch. They are masters of ambush and traps.

They lose their appeal after the 10th or so kill of the season. The Brown Recluse Oshkosh happens every year in my living room around May or so. Quick little fsckers.

Live in the jungle? You mean, like, in an RV with satcomm, a generator and a flame thrower, right? I could probably do that. Regular airdrops for food, a nicely stocked media center, AC, etc... Sure, sounds like fun.

There are a couple of small Wolfs patrolling the basement eating the beetles that got in this summer. Around here their size is significantly reduced for lack of food and water so we generally just leave them be. They're better than chemicals for ridding the basement of other unwanted visitors. All of the bugs including spiders that make it indoors either figure out a way back outside or dry up and desiccate into easily removed chunks of crunchy stuff by mid-Fall. You gotta love low humidity.

He's gone silent, I think the spider got em.

3 1/2 years ago, my wife and I moved to the California Delta and now live right on the water. I moved my plane not far away to a hangar in Byron. Spiders are a fact of life here. I had to make my peace with them. They are everywhere.

A Black Widow the size of a nickle is a baby. Black Widows love old steel T hangars and mine is infested with them every year. Usually they are silver dollar sized, or so.

The spiders here eat a lot of annoying flying insects, so usually I have a live and let live policy. When it's time to clean, it's a different story and they have to move or die. I don't really like spiders, but I have respect for other living things and so I don't kill them unless I have good reason. In addition, to keep my property spider free is an expensive exorcize in complete futility. I'll never win.

Man, some of you guys would last maybe 10 seconds living in a forest.

I see wolf spiders daily. But it's the 3 inch green and red june beetles that get my attention.

The carpenter bees **** me off. They get killed mercilessly. But they aren't scary; they can't even sting. They eat the rafters.

A Black Widow the size of a nickle is a baby. Black Widows love old steel T hangars and mine is infested with them every year. Usually they are silver dollar sized, or so.

The spiders here eat a lot of annoying flying insects, so usually I have a live and let live policy. When it's time to clean, it's a different story and they have to move or die. I don't really like spiders, but I have respect for other living things and so I don't kill them unless I have good reason. In addition, to keep my property spider free is an expensive exorcize in complete futility. I'll never win.

I don't understand. Aren't black widow bites fatal?

Rarely, but they will ruin your day. Luckily their bites are rare. I've been hit by a brown recluse...not fun.

I still haven't figured out what this big guy is, I've never seen one like him. He owes me, I heard a commotion on the front porch and stepped in on his behalf to prevent him from getting a mouthful of RAID at the hands of my wife.

Geez, it's just one of the Huntsman variety, good spider, feeds on cockroaches.

We've found some brown recluses recently. They get killed with no mercy. Unfortunately, it is only an exercise in futility to try to eradicate them.

I'll amend my earlier post to say this, since somebody mentioned those huge webs that a monster sits in the middle of...

The only spider I'll definitely let alone, and am fascinated by, is an orb weaver. I do like them.

Had one last summer that spun a web in the corner of my back sliding door, and late at night, every other night or so, I could stand there and watch it spin a new web. There was an outdoor patio light nearby that would attract moths and flying bugs, so it's web would get torn up after a couple days, and it would have to make a new one.

That spider I found interesting. Other ones, not so much. Definitely not black widows. Those really creep me out. When I first moved into this house, I used to RAID the ones I found in the garage, but as other posters have said, it's an exercise in futility. There are always more of them. So as long as they stay in the garage, I pretend I don't see them.

That's a barking spider, I'm very impressed you were actually able to get a picture. Usually you only hear them.:yes:

They can be, but very rarely. The thing about them is they really don't like being around people. They generally run and hide. That's why I never see them around the house so much, but at the hangar where it isn't occupied all the time, they do like it there. It's safe from predators, they're out of the sun that they hate and there's plenty to eat in there. They hate it when I show up and ruin the day.

You just have to be aware that they're likely there. They seem to like to be closer to the ground, rather than above. They like shadows and corners and pretty much stick to their webs. So look for webs and don't stick your hand into a dark area without looking first.

My only area of real concern is the main hangar door. I have one of those ones that swing up like a garage door and so I have to check the area where I put my hand to give it a shove. It's also good to check along the lower edge of the door because once the door is up, you might end up with spiders above you over head potentially coming down.

They kind of just live there. You can go and spray the hell out of the place and breath the poison, but they will be back no matter what. I also have wasps and hate those way more, because unlike the Black Widow, those will fly right up to you and potentially sting you. Those I do spray their nests from time to time.

I've been hit by a brown recluse...not fun.

Oh man! I've heard and seen the horror stories on the internet about those. I heard those bites can be really rough and lead to amputation some times. They seem to be so small and harmless looking like a lot of other brown spiders. I don't know how you can see and avoid them easily. Fortunately, we don't have those in this part of California. Those I really would be scared of.

Holy Hell. I tried to film but it is too dark. I just went out back and a spider the size of a Volkswagen is floating on the top of the water. I was pouring in a chemical. I got within about 5 inches of him (her) and the spider flips over on its back dumping a slightly smaller spider off its back and what I would estimate is about 60 babies. They all went raining down to the bottom.

I made another pass and now mom (or dad) is also at the bottom scurrying for all it is worth trying to climb the wall. I don't know why I find a living spider underwater so much creepier than a spider on land.

Probably because it reinforces the belief I hold that they are demonic and are adapting to a point where they will be unkillable.

how 'bout this lil feller?

Attachments

• spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 61
I recommend an airstrike. Only one man for the job...

Spiders2.jpg

Back