What kind of spider is this?

Last summer I got suckered into a 2.5 hour mountain bike "adventure". Brown Recluse spider attached itself to my helmet. Proceeded to crawl down my body and bite me on the thigh. Itched like crazy - turned red, turned green, turned ugly. Diagnosed by my vet while I had my dog in for check-up. "Not much you can do about it now"....Flipped over some storage shelves in my hanger about a week later. Two Black Widows about the size of a Ping-Pong ball there to say hello to me. Screamed like a 4th grade girl, ****ed in my pants a little. WD-40 does not kill them but a broom does. (Also found the skeletal remains of a rat the size of a medium alley cat in the same hanger, F-3 - Happy to report my new hanger is E-2).

No ****. I lived in NC for six years. There's a lot of freakishly large living creepy stuff down there. Up here the freakishly large living stuff up here is beer and brat-fed.

Curious what you saw here in NC that is freakishly large/creepy

I see an occasional black widow, copperhead snake, not much else. Never seen a brown recluse, they are not very common. Some big wolf spiders, sure I could go outside with a flashlight now and find a few. They're not dangerous though.

We do have ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes but I think those are everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man! I've heard and seen the horror stories on the internet about those. I heard those bites can be really rough and lead to amputation some times. They seem to be so small and harmless looking like a lot of other brown spiders. I don't know how you can see and avoid them easily. Fortunately, we don't have those in this part of California. Those I really would be scared of.

Just moved a bunch of stuff out of one of the hangars on the airport here. No less than 16 brown recluse spiders. A lot of them stood still wondering what was going on and it made it easy to ID them. Nearly crapped myself when I picked up the first aileron :yikes:

Curious what you saw here in NC that is freakishly large/creepy

I see an occasional black widow, copperhead snake, not much else. Never seen a brown recluse, they are not very common. Some big wolf spiders, sure I could go outside with a flashlight now and find a few. They're not dangerous though.

We do have ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes but I think those are everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived in Charlotte, and saw some big spiders, Palmetto bugs (cockroaches with better marketing), beetles, etc. I saw a number of copperheads, and really enjoyed opening up a bale of pine straw and finding a coral snake.

I lived in Charlotte, and saw some big spiders, Palmetto bugs (cockroaches with better marketing), beetles, etc. I saw a number of copperheads, and really enjoyed opening up a bale of pine straw and finding a coral snake.

I did learn to fly at KEQY so it wasn't too bad a place. ;)

I think a Real Estate agent coined the term Palmetto bug, just oozes with Southern Charm doesn't it? You can just picture a butterfly wafting on a tropical breeze when you hear that name can't you? :rofl:

I think a Real Estate agent coined the term Palmetto bug, just oozes with Southern Charm doesn't it? You can just picture a butterfly wafting on a tropical breeze when you hear that name can't you? :rofl:

They are also called June bugs. Another nice name. June is a beautiful month, and it makes you think like those suckers are going away. They are not.

They are also called June bugs. Another nice name. June is a beautiful month, and it makes you think like those suckers are going away. They are not.

Not where I've ever lived. June bugs are a flying beetle, but they are smaller and rounder and fly around lights and get caught in your hair.

Holy Hell. I tried to film but it is too dark. I just went out back and a spider the size of a Volkswagen is floating on the top of the water. I was pouring in a chemical. I got within about 5 inches of him (her) and the spider flips over on its back dumping a slightly smaller spider off its back and what I would estimate is about 60 babies. They all went raining down to the bottom.

I made another pass and now mom (or dad) is also at the bottom scurrying for all it is worth trying to climb the wall. I don't know why I find a living spider underwater so much creepier than a spider on land.

Probably because it reinforces the belief I hold that they are demonic and are adapting to a point where they will be unkillable.

Oh God, I so regret coming here. I need to go to a happy place and think about happy things. Fast. :nonod:

Did it have a parachute? Or a V tail? That would narrow down what type of spider and more importantly, how to bash it.

Back