What kind of eggs / nest is in this pipe?

Update. Babies have hatched the family is all living at the bottom of the pipe together. I tried to get a photo but apparently mama chickadee does not want people around her babies.
chickadees puff up their chest and let out this explosive hiss when they're threatened and she started doing that so I figured better to just step back so she don't feel distressed.

Update. Babies have hatched the family is all living at the bottom of the pipe together. I tried to get a photo but apparently mama chickadee does not want people around her babies.
chickadees puff up their chest and let out this explosive hiss when they're threatened and she started doing that so I figured better to just step back so she don't feel distressed.

dude, snap a pic!!

I tried to get a photo but apparently mama chickadee does not want people around her babies.

A family member had a lesson for their chickens that were not laying very well. Coming back from feeding the dogs the scraps from dinner a little scraping of the empty pot and saying to the chickens ... "gonna be something cooking in this pot soon ... your choice!"

Let Ms. Chickadee know that you mean no harm but you are gonna take a pic. Man up! :D

Seriously ... cool beans on the babies being born. You're a good landowner ...

Rain will be no harm in the pipe, the nest will be deep enough to keep them dry for the first couple of inches.

What is neat, is the little guys and gals climbing up the inside, and flopping off the top edge. We have watched as, one after another, half a dozen bail out from 9 feet up, flutter near vertical to the ground, and immediately hide under some nearby vines. Since it is their "First Flight", they have no idea if it is dangerous, but launch is precipitated by the shoving of the next candidate. The last one waffles quite a bit longer before launching.

Chickadees and wrens are our favorite small birds. :)

looks like 5 of the 6 are alive and well. 1 unhatched egg which I assume at this point means it isn't going to.
Looks like babies stay in the nest for a little over 2 weeks before heading out on their own.

bird.gif

looks like 5 of the 6 are alive and well. 1 unhatched egg which I assume at this point means it isn't going to.
Looks like babies stay in the nest for a little over 2 weeks before heading out on their own.

bird.gif
Cool. Give them names. Name one after me. Hey, name one Sac and one Eman. I wanna see what happens.

Either a Sawzall or putting an umbrella back on it.

Back