What kind of Bonanza is this?

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
This is Nice

http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/lists/2015/12/9-things-to-do-with-your-new-pilot-certificate/

1primary.jpg

Looks like a V35... this a trick question?

No. It looks new. I thought they weren't manufacturing anymore V-Tails. The antennae also tells me that it likely has more modern avionics on-board so it's not an old photographs. The paintjob is sparkling. And it isn't John and Martha King at the controls.

And that might even be an AMSAFE seatbelt.

No. It looks new. I thought they weren't manufacturing anymore V-Tails. The antennae also tells me that it likely has more modern avionics on-board so it's not an old photographs. The paintjob is sparkling. And it isn't John and Martha King at the controls.

It's an old plane. Look at the size of the N-number.

Looks like someone spent a buttload of money on refurbishing the plane - probably far more than the plane is worth.

A good paint job and recent glass can do wonders.

And those look like BAS seat belts.

The boomerang antennae is the old style. The 4 point harnesses can be STC'd to any Bonanza. And that is a nice new paint job.

Looks like someone spent a buttload of money on refurbishing the plane - probably far more than the plane is worth.

Don't you have to put on the larger numbers when you re-paint?

Good Skills Aeric. Maybe I have a crappy monitor, because I couldn't make out some of the characters on the tail.

It's worth it to the owner and something more people should do. You can end up with a nice plane for a fraction of what a new plane would cost. Treat it as a depreciateable asset and fly it for 10 years.

Don't you have to put on the larger numbers when you re-paint?

Not if the plane is 30 years old, and you don't plan to fly out of the country. With small letters, you can add temporary large cut vinyl letters or even use duct tape to make short trips over the border.

In this case, traditional foot-tall numbers would have obscured the tiny little wavy stripes, a recent "thing" that I don't really understand . . .

That's a gorgeous paint job on an already gorgeous airplane! Love the black leading edges.

If I were to get a Bo it would be a V tail, never understood why people bother getting Bo's when they don't get a V tail, kinda the whole point of a Bo IMHO.

Now, giving a V35 a fresh nice paintjob, updating the panel and tossing some BAS belts in doesn't seem overboard at all if you're doing it on a good foundation.

Nice looking airplane, makes you want a V tail.

I wondered what model letter that one was. What's always interesting about some 35s is just how much time and effort has went into them.

Beautiful example.

Had a guy guess that mine was built in the 80s.

brian];1973415 said:
I wondered what model letter that one was. What's always interesting about some 35s is just how much time and effort has went into them.

Beautiful example.

Had a guy guess that mine was built in the 80s.

Put a new swoosh paintjob on a 1940's J3 and the public will think it's new :goofy:

And when was this?

From AOPA

14 CFR Part 45, Identification and Registration Marking, prescribes the requirements of aircraft registration numbers.

Required Physical Attributes

For most fixed-wing aircraft, the marks must meet the following requirements:

Height: 12 inches
Width: two-thirds wide as they are high
The number "1" must be one-sixth as wide as high
Letters "M" and "W" may be as high as they are wide
Thickness: solid lines one-sixth as thick as the character is high
Spacing: no less than one-fourth of the character width
Uniformity: same height, width, thickness, and spacing on both sides of the aircraft.
Exceptions

Note: No person may operate an aircraft under the exceptions listed below if one or more of the following apply:

Operations in an ADIZ or DEWIZ described in FAR Part 99 unless temporarily has markings in accordance with FAR 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33.
Operations in a foreign country unless that country consents to that operation.
Operations conducted under FAR parts 121, 133, 135, or 137.
The following aircraft may display marks at least 2 inches high:

Aircraft that had 2-inch markings displayed before November 1, 1981, and an aircraft manufactured after November 2, 1981, but before January 1, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft has been repainted, restored, or changed.
Antique/classic aircraft: Aircraft built at least 30 years ago, or an aircraft issued an experimental certificate under FAR 21.191(d) or (g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built that has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may display marks at least 2 inches high.
The following aircraft may display marks at least 3 inches high:

Gliders, airships, spherical and non-spherical balloons, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft.
Experimental exhibition, amateur-built, or a light sport aircraft under FAR 21.191(d), (g), and (i) when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS.

Other exceptions:

FAR 45.22 for exhibition, including motion picture or television production, or an airshow aircraft.
Note: If, due to the configuration of an aircraft, it is impossible for a person to mark it in accordance with FAR 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33, he may apply to the FAA for a different marking procedure.

If it wasn't for the international thing I'd put small numbers on my plane since she was built over 30 years ago.

Last edited:
So, I've decided I'm too lazy to strip and polish mine. But I have been thinking about moving the tail number to the wing... Much like sister ships built at the same time. Where is the reg for moving the n number?

brian];1973446 said:
So, I've decided I'm too lazy to strip and polish mine. But I have been thinking about moving the tail number to the wing... Much like sister ships built at the same time. Where is the reg for moving the n number?
Sister ships of that era had the numbers on the wing, but they also had 2" or 3" (I forget which) marks on the vertical tail -- or in the case of V-tail Bonanzas, on the rear fuselage just forward of the tail surfaces (photo below). As long as you have the 2" marks on the fuselage in that manner you comply with the current rule (FAR 45.22(b), which James quoted above). You can also splash the big numbers on the wings to be historically accurate.

be_a35.jpg

Last edited:
If my eyes are working right, it's a 1959 model 35. It's got a small rear window which puts it in the middle of the production, older ones had no third window, and the later ones have a larger third window.

If my eyes are working right, it's a 1959 model 35. It's got a small rear window which puts it in the middle of the production, older ones had no third window, and the later ones have a larger third window.
Apparently this one has been identified as a K35 by the registration number.

J35, K35 and M35 (1958-60) were almost identical externally, except that M35 had the new squared-off wingtips. Can't see the wingtips in the OP's photo. N35 (1961) was the first to have the long teardrop-shaped third window.

The problem with identifying Bonanzas is that almost every one in the fleet has been modified to some degree or another. My K35 was almost stock (it even had the old split windshield, which is getting rare now), but it did have the M35 wingtips, and the 260 hp engine from the N35/P35.

From AOPA
[snip]
Aircraft that had 2-inch markings displayed before November 1, 1981, and an aircraft manufactured after November 2, 1981, but before January 1, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft has been repainted, restored, or changed.
[snip]
That part of the reg is moot now, since all aircraft affected by it are more than 30 years old. FAR 45.22(b), which allows 2" marks, controls.

Agree, you can put whatever you want on the wings, but you still have to have the number on the fuselage.

On older planes you can put the original style of N-Number which is cool, NC instead of N.

Sister ships of that era had the numbers on the wing, but they also had 2" or 3" (I forget which) marks on the vertical tail -- or in the case of V-tail Bonanzas, on the rear fuselage just forward of the tail surfaces (photo below). As long as you have the 2" marks on the fuselage in that manner you comply with the current rule (FAR 45.22(b), which James quoted above). You can also splash the big numbers on the wings to be historically accurate.

On older planes you can put the original style of N-Number which is cool, NC instead of N.
True. FAR 45.22(b) says that a small aircraft more than 30 years old ...

... may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with Secs. 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:
(1) It displays in accordance with Sec. 45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” followed by:
(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or
(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (“C”, standard; “R”, restricted; “L”, limited; or “X”, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft
; and
(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter “N” anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

So, for example, you can display it as "NC12345", but the official registration on the books is still "N12345".

Why did you feel the need to do that?

Well, every time I see an NCC "N" number I think of the Starship Enterprise. Plus I am in a jocular mood today, and I never use the word jocular. :D

Pilawt getss it! :yes:

No, it's an early airframe, 50s vintage.

A good paint job and recent glass can do wonders.

And those look like BAS seat belts.

You can have a completely "New" Bonanza, even an S or V, full 2 sided glass panel, perfect paint, new custom interior, factory new engine and modern prop for less than $250k using top end shops to do everything. The problem with that on the market right now is that you can get into a glass SR-22 with a half time engine and fresh chute for that now.

They are nice planes. Solid/smooth ride, fly well, and great user community to help when there are issues.

Plus VTails are smok'n sexy to look at.

Back