What is your success rate...

Success Rate?

• Total voters
Well, that depends.

Las Vegas? 0%.

Chicago? Meh... I've gotten through VFR once (midnight on a Sunday), but I mostly know better than to bother even asking.

Dallas, Houston, Tampa, Miami, Philadelphia, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Kansas City? 100%.

I'm sensing a theme... Chicago and Las Vegas kinda suck....
He speaks the truth.

Always except for once.
Okay, I guess it came across that way, but that's NOT what I was trying to say. I meant, they've never said "unable, request again in 15 minutes" much less flat-out "unable". It's always either "cleared through the Bravo" on request (sometimes even without requesting it), or "roger, you can expect that when you get south of Metro", in which case they've remembered me and granted the clearance when they told me I could expect it, without my bugging them again. Sometimes there's a price, sometimes I needed it sooner, but they've always been willing to accommodate when they're able.

So I didn't have any problem voting 100%. I don't claim to rock though, I'd say most of the tracon controllers I've talked to at DTW Approach do however.

I've had two issues with Detroit. Both IFR - maybe even on the same flight, but I can't be certain. I was picking up ice at 9,000 and requested "7,000 for ice" and was told unable.
"Well you can give me 7,000 now, or I will just use the e word and take it anyway"
I got 7,000 very quickly after that with a 20º course alteration for about 20 miles. Which was no biggie because I was headed to Wings anyway. They also completely forgot about me once, and I had to contact the next facility on my own - also IFR.

Around KDEN I'd say about 30%. Including once being told by all three approach controllers to stay clear of the Bravo, like somehow my radar blip made it look like I was planning to violate their airspace.

Successfully flew the VFR transition over PHX. They actually had me descend to make the transition and then climb again after passing over the field. I don't really understand that one, all the big guys were already below us.

I don't have that many attempts, but Kansas City into Downtown or JoCoExec I've never been turned down. Denver into Rocky Mtn Metro, only once of four attempts. I don't even try anymore...I'm coming from Lincoln so I just plan to fly under it as it might make 5 minutes difference and those dudes have enough going on.

Back