What Is Your Longest Cross Country?

Stingray Don

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Stingray Don
Just for fun - what has been your longest cross country?

Here is the criteria:

1. Must have been PIC and sole manipulator of controls
2. No layovers except for fuel
3. Personal flight (non-commercial)

I don't have much to brag about but here is mine:

Departure: Olive Branch Mississippi (KOLV)
Destination: Indianapolis Indiana (KMQJ)
Flight Time: 3 hours
Distance: 345 NM
Aircraft: 172n

I've done KHEG - KSDF
KHEG - KLBE - just the other day - but that's as about far as I can go in a Cirrus before I become BINGO Fuel like Allegiant :)

How about we use time. That way those of us with slow planes can compete. :D
I was going to say I fly two planes - one cruises at 85 kts and the other 175 and have done some long x-countries in both.

Looking at my logbook, it looks like the Baron so far has the record for both time and distance:

Departure: Norfolk, VA (KORF)
Destination: Telluride, CO (KTEX)
Flight Time: 10.7 hours
Distance: 1540 NM
Aircraft: BE-55 Baron

Two fuel stops.

Longest single leg I have ever done was also in the Baron: PHX-FTW in 4.7 hrs.

Not much to brag about either...

356 miles
N51 Solberg NJ
KVTA Newark Oh
about 4 hours Flight time... a little over 5 hours with fuel stop and lunch

Looking forward to a NC to south FLA trek next year

52F-KWLD
247NM
2.5hrs up
3.5hrs back (20kt headwind, was barely outpacing ground traffic on I-35)
172B

As a PPL:
KTPL-KROW-KPRC
Temple, TX to Prescott, AZ with a fuel stop in Roswell, NM.
7.1 hours. 786nm. Piper Dakota.

As a student (so not PIC):
FQVL-FQPB
Vilanculos, Mozambique to Pemba, Mozambique.
6.8 hours. 617nm. Cessna 182.

Last edited:
Key West to Minneapolis is probably my longest in a Cherokee Six....about 11 hours of flying with three stops.

The day after my PP ride I departed Long Beach to St Louis, then went on to Ft Wane IN a couple days later. All without Nav radios, I had lost them both over the Grand Canyon. Got vectors all the way to St Louis through 2 fuel stops. :D

9D9 -> SRQ direct.
No fuel stops.
PA-24.
926nm
5:40

That's been the furthest I ended up away from my departure point on a single day.

The most miles I did in a single day was 9D9-K74->LXL->9D9 which is a little over 1100nm. Also in the same PA24.

My furthest XC including overnights was:
www.sidnaw.org/trip/

Last edited:
KFPR->KFWS, 1 stop, about 1000nm because I went around large area of weather, 8 hrs, which is about my limit, longest 1 hop was 5.5 hrs, 650nm, For some reason I never get a tail wind, but they seem to go quickly anyways.

Last edited:
Here are my thee days of a literal cross country

KLAL Lakeland, FL to KWVI Watsonville, CA

Day one KLAL-KCWC 990 miles
Day two KCWC-KVGT 1265 Miles
Day three KVGT-KWVI 394 Miles

22 hours total on the hobbs

When I first got my ticket I'd go somewhere every week, just pick a place at random. Other times I'd take people from work to other states to see family, friends, etc. Seldom would a month go by that I wasn't taking the 150 or Warrior somewhere at least 300-500 miles away. Most of the time solo, though. My longest was maybe 600 miles.

I kinda miss those days.

March 1, 2007 Atlanta to Sacramento delivering my Citation II S/P for a pre-buy, a little over 1800 miles and 12 hours preflight to chocks!
First leg to Amarillo is 800 miles, took 4 hours at 350 knots true! 150 knots right on the nose.:mad2::mad2: Got fuel a sandwich and headed out again, stopped somewhere in Arizona for fuel, winds down to 100 knots!! More gas and flew to KSAC, parked at the Citation Service Center and it was dark before I got to the hotel! :eek:
Longest distance, non stop was Atlanta to San Juan PR, 1350 miles in the Citation. :)

Just did it: OSH to WDR, about 760 statute miles. Longest leg was 558 statute miles in 4.1 hours.

Not bad for a little LSA.

Longest trip:
Fernandina Beach (FRB, then it was 55J) to Boonville Mo (VER)
758 NM
6.7 hours, three fuel stops
C182 with wife and 3 month old

Longest leg:
Ellington (EFD) to Fayetteville (FYV)
386 NM
3.8 hours
C182

Time: 5.9 hours
Distance: 526 Miles

This was from Louisiana to Tennessee in my Cessna 152 that I owned at the time. Legs were 1.3, 2.1 and 2.5.

Last edited:
Vernal, UT to OSH.
955nm
6.5 hrs including a very long taxi in at OSH

Non-stop, PA24, 61.1 gals used, 15k, LOP.

KLZU -> KIND in a DA20-C1, Stopped at KLOU for fuel, probably could have made it without the stop, but I'm not a fan of getting low on fuel. 362nm and 4.2h on the way there with the stop.

Return trip was KIND -> KCHA ->KLZU & 4.3h - 374nm.

That was this past May and my first cross country further than 120nm. It was a lot of fun but I realized that DA20 seat isn't quite so comfy after a few hours. It was fun to land an IND with the big jets. I was the only piston at MillionAir. They diddn't laugh too hard at me.

IMG_1844.JPG

I flew my Archer II from Napa, CA to Minneapolis to trade it for my first Mooney. Roughly 1,400NM. Then I flew the Mooney back.

Also Napa to Fayetteville, AR and back. Also about 1,400NM each way.

Multiple trips from Denver to Cabo San Lucas. Just a hair over 1,300NM each way.

Charleroi, Belgium to Cape Town, South Africa, via the UK, Spain, and 25 other African countries. 3.5 months, 132.9 hours and about 15,200 miles. Aircraft was a C182 with the SMA diesel conversion.

YiOHy5E.jpg

Charleroi, Belgium to Cape Town, South Africa, via the UK, Spain, and 25 other African countries. 3.5 months, 132.9 hours and about 15,200 miles. Aircraft was a C182 with the SMA diesel conversion.

We have a winner!!!!:yikes:

Were you over the Rift Vally for the migration? I really want to do that run flying over the migration. I'd be happy to start in Ethiopia and keep going around up to Namibia.

Multiple trips from Anoka County, KANE, that's Minneapolis to either Morristown NJ or Cumberland MD, pickup a load of cargo with a fuel stop on the way back. Over 10 hours total in an Aztec.

From STP to Gander to Shannon to Le Bourget, close to 10 hours. From London to Keflavik to Gander and then STP, all in a Westwind.

From STP to St Maarten non-stop in a Hawker.

From MSP to Oxnard CA to Omaha and Teterboro and return to MSP, all in one day.
I don't remember the miles or the exact times, unless I look them up.

Were you over the Rift Vally for the migration? I really want to do that run flying over the migration. I'd be happy to start in Ethiopia and keep going around up to Namibia.

We were not, although we did get to see some pretty good sized herds along the way.

Atlanta area to Las Vegas and back, with a stop in Amarillo, TX for gas on the way out. 13.5.

Eglin AFB, Florida to Bangkok Thailand. Non-stop. F-4E. Lot's of mid-air refuels.
Now some Buff driver will come on and say Griffiths to Griffiths, non-stop. Bastiches.

Last edited:
No. We leased it. The owner flew it back to Europe then screwed up his landing at a grass field and wrote it off.

Too bad. The plane I flew in Mozambique later crashed in South Africa and killed two New Zealanders when they ran into a mountain.

Last edited:
Longest in the Mooney - KFNL-KPNS Fort Collins - Pensacola 1050 nm
Longest in the Jabiru - KFNL - KSMX Fort Collins - Santa Maria, CA 804 nm
Both about 8.5 hours.

Just finished ours. (Of course, we do this every year.) 2457 nautical miles (2825 statute miles) in 7 legs. Total flight time, 15.5 hours. Average speed 182.3 mph (158 knots).

11793294_879517912084104_1805333971_n.jpg

When I was 18, 1995, I flew to UND with my dad for school registration in a 172P. Each way was about 490 NM

TO: KUES -> KGFK 6.5 hrs, with one fuel stop (forget where)
FROM: KGFK -> KUES 6.9 hrs. We chased a thunderstorm on the way home, so we had stops in Brainard and Eau Clarie since we kept catching up to it. I still remember Brainard had the best, greasiest cheeseburger I've ever had.

Just finished ours. (Of course, we do this every year.) 2457 nautical miles (2825 statute miles) in 7 legs. Total flight time, 15.5 hours. Average speed 182.3 mph (158 knots).

2nd place winner.

But I'll w/d your nomination since you could have easily stopped to pick me up en route to KOSH.

Back