What is your hundred dollar hamburger?

I'm a little bit confused on the original question. Reading the linked article, it would appear that the poster is really asking what your excuse is to fly somewhere, not necessarily what and if you eat there. I think I can count the number of times I've specifically made a $100 hamburger run on one hand. Maybe two. Normally I fly to get from point A to point B. Sure, I'll throw food in to the mix but I'm doing that anyway, regardless of the mode of transportation.

I've flown somewhere just to see what it looked like. The airport with the partial AstroTurf runway in Calhan, CO for example. There certainly isn't anything else there other than that. LOL.

I hear Goodland, KS is good for pie. How I've missed that all these years I don't know. Last time I was there it was midnight and I found a place to "water the grass" in a shadow near a big hangar before I flew home. LOL.

Ah. Pie. Theres an on airport cafe at Port Townsed, WA, 0S9, thats known for it's pies. Thats where I first saw an AeroShell cow poster. I had watched The Aviator a couple nights before. It was like some kind of spiritual sign or something. Oh yeah, the pie was good.
View attachment 47532

WTH is that poster thing?! Haha that's funny. I haven't seen any of those!

People need excuses to fly somewhere?

Exactly.

I do like to have, for domestic justification reasons, at least a pretense of a semblance of an excuse to fly. For example, North Dakota has 89 public airports and a program where you get a free* leather jacket if you land and get a stamp from each of them. I have landed at 16 of them but didn't have the book yet for stamping some of them, so that's an excuse to fly back to the 9 that I need stamps from. And then I have a few different lists of airports I can hit in a loop with 1 tank of fuel in the J-3 or the Arrow. That comes to 11 round-trip flights that will take a full day each including landing, finding the stamp, and getting on the move again up to 11 times per trip.

But there is just one of those airports with a tempting $100 hamburger, which is 10 miles from the airport and thus, after flying the 250nm to get there and negotiating the perpetual TFR on my side of the nearby air force base, will require delivery (assuming they'll go out that far) or a ride into town. KGFK, Red Pepper, whole salami grinder with taco meat and colby cheese (extra hot sauce not recommended within 6 hours prior to air travel but normally that would also be mentioned). I have three recurring dreams in life: eating Red Pepper, learning to fly, and sailing around the world. And I started having these dreams in that order. Only two are reasonable, so I may as well combine them by flying to get a grinder. Fuel in the Arrow will run me $180 so I should get a safety pilot and make it come out to $100 per "burger."

* Free as in the most expensive leather jacket outside of the PGA.

The Aviator in Blairsville, Ga is my favorite. Land at the airport, take the courtesy car 2 miles down the road into town.

Whatever they have. Some of my favorites:

Turkey Manhatten
Patty melt with two small patties, cheddar cheese, grilled onions

To drink: Unsweet iced tea with two lemons.

North Dakota has 89 public airports and a program where you get a free* leather jacket if you land and get a stamp from each of them.

Iowa has a similar program. I'm at 63 and plan to knock the rest of them off this fall.

My $100 hamburger is apple pie: http://asliceofpie.info/

Fly into KVIH, take the loaner car down to Rolla, go to Alex's pizza (which just remodeled) then go to Slice of Pie. It's outstanding pie. I brought two dutch apple (and cinnamon sauce!) back this weekend.

If you're anywhere near the middle of missouri, go. :)

Whatever they have. Some of my favorites:

Turkey Manhatten
Patty melt with two small patties, cheddar cheese, grilled onions

To drink: Unsweet iced tea with two lemons.

You're n the Reserve KC10 unit @ McGuire right? I'd take a Jersey hoagie (Italian, Cheese Steak my favs) right about now, and tomorrow, and the next day, and....

Excellent swirl the spaghetti in your spoon joint on airport at Borrego Valley, L08.

Is that still open? I recently played a golf tournament at Borrego Springs and would love to fly back there to check out the terrain from the air.

You're n the Reserve KC10 unit @ McGuire right? I'd take a Jersey hoagie (Italian, Cheese Steak my favs) right about now, and tomorrow, and the next day, and....

Active duty. But I totally forgot to include the Cheese Steak! Probably cause I eat so many of those tasty things. Never thought to order one at an airport restaurant. They just can't top some of the places in Philly.

Active duty. But I totally forgot to include the Cheese Steak! Probably cause I eat so many of those tasty things. Never thought to order one at an airport restaurant. They just can't top some of the places in Philly.

Doesn't Philly put cheese whiz on their cheesesteaks? Jersey doesn't, think they use white cheese. I always thought Jersey hoagies were better myself. I was at MAFB 74-77, is the KC-10 Associate?

Doesn't Philly put cheese whiz on their cheesesteaks? Jersey doesn't, think they use white cheese. I always thought Jersey hoagies were better myself. I was at MAFB 74-77, is the KC-10 Associate?
I'm a provolone guy whether jersey or Philly. Nope no associate. We have two active duty and two reserve 10 squadrons.

Yeah guess it's provolone then. MAFB had C-141s Associate Wing (3 sqdns if I recall) , ANG C-7 Caribou, and ANG F-105s, think they were D models. Also SAC has KC-135 on alert back then too. Got my PPC in the Aero Club there.

Sure could go for a cheesesteak from up there right now! :D

From Las Vegas,
Laverne -Brackett
Or Fox Field, Lancaster
Or Sedona AZ
Or Lake Havasu,
Cedar City, AZ but you need a pilot car to town.
Bishop CA, take the shuttle bus into town, I forget the name of the famous bakery on main St for lunch.

The Aviator in Blairsville, Ga is my favorite. Land at the airport, take the courtesy car 2 miles down the road into town.

I need to get back there. My grandparents move to Blairsville when I was ~10, haven't been back since grandpa passed in college and granny moved back to Atlanta.

I'm based at KPDK in Atlanta, and we hop up to KLZU to go to the Flying Machine on the field there. Joy (the chef) makes really, really good mac and cheese and pretty much everything on the menu is delicious. It's only about 10 minutes away by plane, but we typically go flying for fun (sightseeing, shoot approaches, pattern at a remote field somewhere, etc) and hit the Flying Machine on the way home.

Barnstormers at GA2 has a great buffet on the weekends (maybe other times too?). I've heard good things about Elevation at KRYY, but I haven't made it over there yet.

We do have two restaurants on our field (The Downwind and 57th Fighter Group) that are both pretty tasty as well.

My favorite one was at Fast Eddies in Tok Alaska but technically that was a FIFTEEN hundred dollar burger.

Ah. Pie. Theres an on airport cafe at Port Townsed, WA, 0S9, thats known for it's pies. Thats where I first saw an AeroShell cow poster. I had watched The Aviator a couple nights before. It was like some kind of spiritual sign or something. Oh yeah, the pie was good.
View attachment 47532

The Spruce Goose at 0S9 is great. Not just the pies. Even closer for me is the café at PWT. AOPA was right, their fish and chips are great. 0.5 on the Hobbs coming back from the fly-in, so it's close, too.

I'm based at KPDK in Atlanta, and we hop up to KLZU to go to the Flying Machine on the field there. Joy (the chef) makes really, really good mac and cheese and pretty much everything on the menu is delicious. It's only about 10 minutes away by plane, but we typically go flying for fun (sightseeing, shoot approaches, pattern at a remote field somewhere, etc) and hit the Flying Machine on the way home.

Barnstormers at GA2 has a great buffet on the weekends (maybe other times too?). I've heard good things about Elevation at KRYY, but I haven't made it over there yet.

We do have two restaurants on our field (The Downwind and 57th Fighter Group) that are both pretty tasty as well.

It's long over due for an Atlanta area meetup. Maybe we get get something going for October.

Hundred dollar coconut:

Attachments

• approach runway in view r.jpg
    approach runway in view r.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 26
  • approach all runway in view r.jpg
    approach all runway in view r.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 26
  • approach intermediate final r.jpg
    approach intermediate final r.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 25
  • approach short final r.jpg
    approach short final r.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 27
I flew to St Augustine KSGJ today on my x-country hoping to have breakfest at the fbo , to which i heard was really good , only to get there and find out that they had closed 6 month ago :( . So i just got a drink of water visited the mens room and left.

Bishop CA, take the shuttle bus into town, I forget the name of the famous bakery on main St for lunch.

Erik Schat's Bakery? (Outstanding Jalapeño Cheese Bread, strupwaffles, and great beef jerky at shops in town.)

Lobster omelette at Sanford Maine,steak bomb omelette at Nashua NH.

Cheeseburger Cheeseburger in Auburn, AL. The burger isn't a$100 but since Auburn can't cover a spread it usually costs me more

Cheeseburger Cheeseburger in Auburn, AL. The burger isn't a$100 but since Auburn can't cover a spread it usually costs me more

Isn't it "Cheeburger Cheeburger" downtown by the old Post Office? And how do youngest there from AUO? Last I heard, there were no crew or courtesy vehicles. Let me know if it's changed!

Isn't it "Cheeburger Cheeburger" downtown by the old Post Office? And how do youngest there from AUO? Last I heard, there were no crew or courtesy vehicles. Let me know if it's changed!

There are absolutely crew cars there, well a crew van anyway. Would not suggest trying on a game weekend but it's first come first serve but they do try to limit to two hours. Have never not had one available on the last year and I go there often.

Back