What is your favorite War Birds?

The X-15 isn't really an airplane. More like a self guided missile.

It's kind of like the SR 71, two rockets bolted to an air frame but the X-15 I believe doesn't take off by itself. You pretty much have to be an astronaut to fly those beasts.

My grandfather flew the P-38, so that's my favorite by default.

When I was really young, I always liked the F-4 and the F-14, then later on became enamored with the A-10. Every so often I fly with guys that came over to the airline from the A-10, so I get to dork out and have them tell me all their stories. I fly with F-16 and F-18 guys too (*very* rarely F-15), but it seems like the A-10 folks had a little more fun. Either that or they embellish their stories more. ;)

Only have one... F-8 Bearcat

f8f-7a.jpg

P-47 Thunderbolt
F4U Corsair
A1 Skyraider
A10 Thunderbolt

Honorable mention goes to:
F86 Sabre
F4 Phantom II
A4 Skyhawk

I have a lot, But I'll give you just a few.

F4u
IMG_1154.JPG

And the death wish of a lawn dart the sopwith dolphin, my all time favorite!
IMG_0984.JPG

I'm just curious to know why not?

Suffice it say, a man rated rocket motor is a temperamental thing. Did one investigation of a test failure where it was a chore finding identifiable pieces. That said, I don't recall any inflight failures but........

Cheers

You going on that Europe TDY next year? Screw with the Ruskies before ya retire? ;)
Yeah, I think I'll go - I have to ya know (looks to see if the frau is over the shoulder).

Probably going to end up with another deployment after that before I hang it up.

Yeah, I think I'll go - I have to ya know (looks to see if the frau is over the shoulder).

Probably going to end up with another deployment after that before I hang it up.

Be careful.....of the frauleins! :D

First movie my Dad took me to see was The Battle of Britain and I wanted to fly ever since:

Supermarine Spitfire (Mk V or Mk IX)
Mosquito
Hawker Hurricane
P51D

I've never been a fan of jets. They do a great job, I just can't relate. For piston aircraft, I've always been fond of the low and slow liaison aircraft like this one with room for a stretcher.
bMQ2yXjl.jpg

For faster and more lethal planes, the P-51 it's almost required that we lust after the P-51, but I also like a rare bird that didn't see much use by the US in WWII, but the Soviets bought a bunch under the lend-lease act. That was the P63 King Cobra. I liked the cannon in the nose.
gofrQI8l.jpg

Never did like the idea of the driveshaft running under my seat in the Airacobra and King Cobra. But the Russkies would fly anything.

Cheers

Air breather, I think F-15 probably. Total dominance, for decades. F-16, maybe, but not the orginal F-18. It may have been slow, but at least it didn't have much range.

Then the X-15, but it was both a spacecraft and an aircraft.

BV-141, Corsair, P-38 in that order.

I'm not really into the jets, but if I had to pick one I'd go with the A-10.

BTW, All the pilots of the X-15 were awarded Astronaut Wings. I worked a lot with Maj Gen Bob Rushworth. Some days he wore regular wings, some days Astronaut, some days both.

Cheers

DFS Habicht and Stummel Habicht used to train Me-163 pilots.

DFS-Habicht.jpg

Also can we please fix the title and stick with either singular or plural????

[QUOTE="Also can we please fix the title and stick with either singular or plural????[/QUOTE]

Yep, he's got me. I put "IS" in the title. I noticed but I couldn't change it.

Back