What is up with the prices of old spam cans?

This is me. Hi everyone! New member here. I got my PPL as a teenager and flew into my early 20's. Just taking friends sightseeing or for $100 burritos (there is a fantastic Mexican place on field at PNC that is 68nm from my home field - perfect for building CC time). Then as they say, life got in the way.

Now I'm in my mid-40's and have time (kids are out of the "trying to kill themselves every 2 minutes" stage) and money. All this corona craziness was the kick I needed to get back into it. going to meet my CFI and get my medical tomorrow.

I found a Cirrus club and plan to do that for a while. Like someone else posted in the recent "what plane should I buy" thread, I have fantasies of taking the family to visit friends and family nearby a couple times/month. If that happens then I'll likely buy. If not, will stick with the club/rental.

If I do end up buying, I will probably look at a twin. I'm still doing research but I like the idea of an upgraded 340A. I think going pressurized will be an easier sell to the family. Also, I'm hoping that the increased licensing requirements and higher op costs will keep twin prices lower.

I also agree w/ the poster who mentioned boats. You can't find a boat for sale these days. Everyone is realizing that boating is a great way to get out and still socially distance. We bought our boat in the Fall of 2019. My dealer called me a couple months ago offering over what I paid for it to sell it back to him. They have time and stimulus checks burning a hole in their pockets.

Finally, I agree that in a couple years that there will be deals to be had. People are paying crazy prices now but after a year or 2 they will be facing maintenance costs, plus their payment, they aren't flying as much as they thought they would, etc.

A Cirrus? I thought you said you wanted to fly again.

I bought a Cessna 140 two years ago for $20k, after seeing this thread I checked barnstormers and am going to up my hull coverage!

mine was a decent solid plane that wasn’t perfect and I’ve done significant and meaningful upgrades, if I bend her up 20k would now get me a project 140!

Well, then maybe a 140 isn’t the bargain it used to be. That means my earlier comment about it being a cheaper alternative to a 150 isn’t so valid. It also means maybe the new engine in my 140 is not such a bad investment. When I spent the money I considered it an extravagance.

Well, then maybe a 140 isn’t the bargain it used to be. That means my earlier comment about it being a cheaper alternative to a 150 isn’t so valid. It also means maybe the new engine in my 140 is not such a bad investment. When I spent the money I considered it an extravagance.

still sexier than a 150/2 though :)

Every time you put a Cessna/Piper/Beechcraft/Cirrus part on your plane, you expose them to a lawsuit. Sorry, it’s just a fact of life. Trust me, they are not getting rich supporting their older fleet.

Agreed, so why are they hanging on to the intellectual property? "Monetization" seems like a buzzword that's all the rage. You'd think they'd be happy to sell it off, but instead they are keeping it tight.

Agreed, so why are they hanging on to the intellectual property? "Monetization" seems like a buzzword that's all the rage. You'd think they'd be happy to sell it off, but instead they are keeping it tight.

I believe you're being rhetorical of course, since you answered your own question in post 108. And I agree with your assessment. They don't want to open-source release that IP, because they want these cans in the scrap yard. So they control the card deck by showing the FAA they're supporting the market with a disingenuous scheme of "go away" pricing of low-density, high-delay delivery schedule of parts/subcomponents that could only reasonably be floated by revenue service (textron actuator bodies on retracts come to mind). It's basically an Astroturfing scheme.

so why are they hanging on to the intellectual property?
What IP are you referring to? None of the Cessna part design or production approvals can be sold or transferred. So there's no value to the existing IP. Anybody can step up and produce approved PMA versions of any Cessna part and a number of people have. Take McFarelane. They've been so successful at producing these parts that Cessna, Piper, etc now use McFarlane's parts on new aircraft.

Back