What is this ?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I know it is a Helo, but which one, If times are good what's it worth?

Attachments

• 7tgvWaGvToi0HGzNsIoQPA.jpg
    7tgvWaGvToi0HGzNsIoQPA.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 115
  • MLUuHjKJQGOKonwq0El8sw.jpg
    MLUuHjKJQGOKonwq0El8sw.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 7aF7siA1Ssqqtdeq3dJNaA.jpg
    7aF7siA1Ssqqtdeq3dJNaA.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 94
  • lHztdcAeQ%q3dCbl3ClWvg.jpg
    lHztdcAeQ%q3dCbl3ClWvg.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 96
  • ObHFASifQBySmoRIhVoobg.jpg
    ObHFASifQBySmoRIhVoobg.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 97
Some people's toy boxes.

Attachments

• PtjByoFaSaKGr48tpokH4g.jpg
    PtjByoFaSaKGr48tpokH4g.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 76
  • VWkGEFFsQE+ketxp3TOSFg.jpg
    VWkGEFFsQE+ketxp3TOSFg.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 77
  • uxCRpmrzTfm0TX4fX5ONaw.jpg
    uxCRpmrzTfm0TX4fX5ONaw.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 76
  • YqwQwyHxQrWR4xxZnOQ7LA.jpg
    YqwQwyHxQrWR4xxZnOQ7LA.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 70
Concur with this.
In pieces like in the images, probably not worth very much. Barnstormers lists them from $75K-$430K; a project was $15K
Then it is a viable project?
All the parts are there, new glass, fresh engine, needs assembly and re-wired.

Tom: Blade and gearbox hours need to be taken into account too. Timed out, or due for overhauls and it gets expensive quick. Have a friend that long term grounded his UH-1E due to the cost of repairing/replacing the 42 Degree gearbox in it. When he grounded it, overhaul cost was about 40K for the gearbox, and that assumed that everything in it was good. In his case, at least one shaft was suspect, and replacement ones were like hen's teeth.

Tom: Blade and gearbox hours need to be taken into account too. Timed out, or due for overhauls and it gets expensive quick. Have a friend that long term grounded his UH-1E due to the cost of repairing/replacing the 42 Degree gearbox in it. When he grounded it, overhaul cost was about 40K for the gearbox, and that assumed that everything in it was good. In his case, at least one shaft was suspect, and replacement ones were like hen's teeth.
Those intermediate gear boxes on the Huey are not that expensive. I would have suspected blades or head components to ground that bird long before a 42

@Tom D there is an AD on the weldment clusters for most (perhaps all) of the 269’s. Make sure that you factor that into valuation of the airframe. Also sitting down with the competent times and pricing each life limited component is about the only way to come up with a good number. If you try to SWAG it there’s a good chance of screwing yourself.

Those intermediate gear boxes on the Huey are not that expensive. I would have suspected blades or head components to ground that bird long before a 42

@Tom D there is an AD on the weldment clusters for most (perhaps all) of the 269’s. Make sure that you factor that into valuation of the airframe. Also sitting down with the competent times and pricing each life limited component is about the only way to come up with a good number. If you try to SWAG it there’s a good chance of screwing yourself.

I know next to nothing about helos, But to take the word of the owner all times are mid life,This helo was being restored by a very knowledgable A&P-IA who died during the restoration.
That is why I'm in the hangar, working a 73 C-182 that was in the same situation.
I'll get the 182 going but the helo, no way.

I know next to nothing about helos, But to take the word of the owner all times are mid life,This helo was being restored by a very knowledgable A&P-IA who died during the restoration.
That is why I'm in the hangar, working a 73 C-182 that was in the same situation.
I'll get the 182 going but the helo, no way.
Is it for sale?

Then it is a viable project?
All the parts are there, new glass, fresh engine, needs assembly and re-wired.
I'm sorry, I wouldn't hazard a guess as to whether it is a viable project. If that were a chemistry question, I'd give an answer :)

Tarheel: From what I understood from him, the E model uses a different 42 gear box from most other models and the supply of spares has pretty much vanished. He has the -13B engine upgrade and the big blades on his. I think the people that did some overhaul work for him, were caught forging records on stuff. I seem to recall that he put the bird in storage about the time that they got caught.

Tarheel: From what I understood from him, the E model uses a different 42 gear box from most other models and the supply of spares has pretty much vanished. He has the -13B engine upgrade and the big blades on his. I think the people that did some overhaul work for him, were caught forging records on stuff. I seem to recall that he put the bird in storage about the time that they got caught.
The E models had cobra blades on them. They were still the 40’ diameter of the a model huey but the cord was massive. I didn’t know they had different 42 boxes. I thought they were all the same. I know most huey operators upgraded to the 212 intermediate boxes to get away from the progressive inspections required by AD on the original 204 part number intermediate.

Are my eyes failing me or is this a Mig-23?
mig-23_flogger_01.jpg

Back