What is this tube?

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
On the side of a piper Lance, behind the left seat window, there is an air port on a post. I suspect I should know what the thing is, but I don't. So I submit myself humbly before the POH wiseguys (I mean wise ones). What is it? I have lost the remove before flight cover for it and need to figure out what to search for to find a replacement.

Picture attached.

Attachments

• lance side.jpg
    lance side.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 277
You definitely want the cover for it - if a bug crawls up in there, you won't be able to retract the gear.

Also, do not throw any liquids out the clear prop window (especially in freezing conditions).

That is a step for TSA inspections

Can you still lock it out and bring the gear up if you discover it after you are already in the air? I can't remember.

Yes. I normally lock it out before takeoff, but you can still do it in the air.

Sac, Do you lock it out for all takeoffs? I always did for short field but didn't see the reason for a normal take off, please edukate me!!!

Sac, Do you lock it out for all takeoffs? I always did for short field but didn't see the reason for a normal take off, please edukate me!!!

If the system is adjusted right you shouldn't have to, although my gear would occasionally fail to raise on a normal takeoff. I do a lot of mountain flying, and a failure to retract would really put me out, so I just do it as a matter of habit.

Understood, I don't think Piper did a very good job with the POH and the auto extension. Raising that red lever was the first thing on all my emergency checklists along with short field takeoffs where I really didn't want the gear hanging out in a 65kt climb to clear trees.

Thanks. Now if I can just find a cover...

My normal operating proceedure is to take off with the gear extension override activated and then after leveling off, disengaging the override. (Is that a double negative?). Basically, I set it up where I can retract the gear as soon as I'm airborne, but the automatic extension will activate if I brain fart on landing. (Obviously have to do it differently if practicing slow flight. Etc. )

Worked flawlessly on my old Arrow

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

A gear safety doohickey like e'rbody else said.

I think there was a service bulletin that allowed you to permanently disable the system.

Will there be a video coming out on this eman1200?

David

maybe on doohickey's in general, but probably not this specific one. I mean, unless the price is right. speaking of, still ZERO dollars in my GoFundMe acct, what gives?!?!

maybe on doohickey's in general, but probably not this specific one. I mean, unless the price is right. speaking of, still ZERO dollars in my GoFundMe acct, what gives?!?!

Don't know how to give, don't have the money to give. What gives? Sorry man.

David

Well Lola gives but then ya gotta visit the doc for a script to cure what she gave...

I leave mine locked out (disabled) all the time. Many pilots do. With the 14MP gear buzzer, plus the gear unsafe light, plus lack of 3 green, you'd have to be a special kind of stupid to gear-up land a Piper.

The scenario-based argument is that I had a buddy that got caught up in icing in his Saratoga. Obviously very tense in the cockpit as you try to escape the ice, maintain flight, and keep your $h!7 together. In the midst of all the commotion, his gear dropped on him... the gear-extension pitot tube iced over and dropped the gear. Nearly killed him. That's why he and I both keep it overridden.

There is an STC to disable the thing completely, IIRC. I also believe Piper turned it from a standard feature to an optional feature at some point.

It's not an STC. It's manufacturer approved instructions (and parts) on the original type certificate.

If you are ever taking off from high DA airports, you need to make sure you lock it out, because the minim retraction speed increases with altitude.

It is mentioned in the POH, but I still learned it the hard way one day taking off from Big Bear. Fortunately, I was lightly loaded.

Back