What is the issue date on a private pilots license?

briscopilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
briscopilot
I passed my private pilot flight test on September 16th 1979 in Michigan. When I moved from Michigan to Georgia I updated my new address. When I received the license the “date of issue” stated on the license was: 24 June 1999. Recently I misplaced my license and requested a new one. The new license arrived with a “date of issue”: 26 APR 2011.
Questions: Why doesn’t the license state the date that I passed my flight test? That date was 9/16/79. Also, if a flight instructor looks at the license and sees “26 APR 2011” is he interpreting that to mean that I passed my flight test for my private pilot license on 26 APR 2011? I am confused. Please help.

That is the way it is. Any reissue or new privilege gets the current date. Technically correct your new certificate was issued 26 APR... You may have earned the privilege when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Logbooks cover time. I understand the desire for ego purposes to have the original issue date but the FAA doesn't do it that way for whatever reason.

Just like your drivers license...that issue date gets updated. I got my drivers license in 1993...but only the DMV and me know that it doesn't show it on my DL I carry around. Same thing.

Also, if a flight instructor looks at the license and sees “26 APR 2011” is he interpreting that to mean that I passed my flight test for my private pilot license on 26 APR 2011?
Hopefully not. But you never know. It depends on whether the flight instructor has a clue or not.

Back