What is the definition of TAA

rookie1255

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rookie1255
61.129 (j) defines TAA but I have some questions about interpretation.

1. Does the MFD have to necessarily be separate from the PFD? For example, a Dynon can do split screen which shows moving map one half and the PFD on the other. Could this be a PFD/MFD even though it's only one screen?

2. The reg says nothing about the GPS being IFR certified so could the Dynon with it's internal VFR GPS qualify?

3. Would this airplane qualify as a TAA?
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...odel=RV-12&listing_id=2366435&s-type=aircraft

I've heard that dual G5s can qualify but I've also heard that it doesn't because the G5 flight director function is not a real flight director with outputs for pitch and roll, and the command bars are a "depiction" only. Without those pitch and roll outputs it's not a truly "integrated" autopilot as mentioned in 61.129(j)(2).

TAA Total (Active) Aircraft Authorization
TAA Trade Adjustment Assistance
TAA Trentino-Alto Adige (Italy; autonomous region)
TAA Training and Assessment
TAA The American Academy (online education; Salt Lake City, UT)
TAA Temporal Anti-Aliasing (graphics processing)
TAA Tax Administration Act (various locations)
TAA Terapia Asistida con Animales (Spanish: Assisted Therapy with Animals)
TAA Time Account Adjustment
TAA Terminal Arrival Area
TAA Technical Advisor Analyst
TAA Type Access Analyzer
TAA Tactical Airsoft Arena (Rockville, MD)
TAA Tactical Asset Allocation
TAA Transitional Adjustment Assistance (NAFTA)
TAA Texas Apartment Association
TAA Tumor-Associated Antigen
TAA Teaching Assistants' Association (Wisconsin)
TAA Trans Australia Airlines
TAA Trans-Australia Airlines (defunct Australian airline)
TAA Trade Agreement Act
TAA Technical Assistance Agreement
TAA Total Army Analysis
TAA Tactical Assembly Area
TAA Thioacetamide
TAA Take Appropriate Action
TAA Turkish-American Association
TAA Technologically Advanced Aircraft
TAA Turkish Aeronautical Association (est. 1925)
TAA Ticket Agents Association (UK; entertainment)
TAA Taiwanese Association of America
TAA Thai AirAsia
TAA Tanzania Airports Authority
TAA Terminal Arrival Area (aviation)
TAA Thomas Alleyne Academy (UK)
TAA Teacher Achievement Award (various locations)
TAA Tribes Aerial Assault (gaming)
TAA Transverse Aortic Arch
TAA Texas Aquaculture Association
TAA Tallahassee Auto Auction (Tallahassee, FL)
TAA Trans Atlantic Airlines
TAA Test Automation Alliance
TAA Technical Approval Authority
TAA Tachyarrhythmia Absoluta (cardiology)
TAA Taos Art Association (New Mexico, USA)
TAA Tactical Air Army
TAA Telecom Agent Association
TAA Target Audience Analysis
TAA Technology Assistance Agreement
TAA Track Access Agreement (UK railways)
TAA Tyler Apartment Association (Tyler, TX)
TAA Technology Area Assessment
TAA Target Aspect Angle
TAA Temporary Accumulation Area
TAA Travel Agent Arbiter
TAA Tactical Army Automation
TAA Terminal Advanced Automation
TAA Transit Advertising Association
TAA Technical Application Architecture (Sprint)
TAA Teens Act for AIDS (est. 2005)
TAA Telecommunications Associates of America
TAA Tanker Alert Area
TAA Taekwondo Antibes Academy (France)
TAA Turbine Alternator Assembly
TAA Tactical Automation Appraisal
TAA Triaxial Angular Accelerometer
TAA Tactical Aerospace Assessment
TAA Transmitting Antenna Array
TAA Tri-p-Anisylamine
TAA Theater Area Army
TAA Technical Airworthiness Arrangements (Canada)
TAA Team Assignment Agreement
TAA Time And Attendence
TAA Transfer Allowed Acknowledgement (SS7)
TAA Track Acquisition Achieved
TAA Training Advisory Alert
TAA Thoracic Aortic Aneuryism
TAA Total Army Authorization
TAA Taiwan Architects Association (Taiwan)
TAA Technological Advances in Aeronautics (conference)
TAA Toshima-Ku Archery Association (est. 1953; Tokyo, Japan)
TAA Transmission Ability of the Atmosphere (meteorology)

It’s a bit dated, but the FAA published a safety report in 2003. You’ll note it requires an IFR certified GPS. Here’s the defn from the paper:

B. Technically Advanced Aircraft Defined
Although the definition of a technically advanced aircraft (TAA) is not completely settled, this term is intended to identify aircraft that are sufficiently different from traditional GA aircraft, which were previously studied by Safer Skies, such that new and different types of safety “interventions” may be required to reduce accidents in these aircraft. “Interventions” are corrective actions that are intended to address an identified accident cause or type of error, and thus “intervene” between these causes and an adverse effect leading to an accident For the purpose of this study, a TAA is defined as an aircraft that has at a minimum:
• • •
IFR-certified GPS navigation equipment (navigator) with moving map; or
A multi-function display (MFD) with weather, traffic or terrain graphics;
An integrated autopilot.
In general, TAAs are aircraft in which the pilot interfaces with one or more computers in order to aviate, navigate, or communicate.
Additional significant factors associated with TAA operations are:
• A high-capability airframe – one that is somewhat faster than traditional GA small aircraft and is comfortable enough to induce many pilots to take long-distance trips, where multiple weather systems and different types of terrain will most likely be encountered. This type of GA operation is the most demanding of pilot knowledge, skill and judgment.
• A single, non-commercial pilot as crew, who is often a new aviator with few years (or even months) of involvement in general aviation, with low total flying time, and often without an instrument license.
TAAs are a substantial, and rapidly increasing, percentage of the GA fleet. Most TAAs are older, traditional GA airplanes that have undergone a transformation through substantial navigation, communication, and display system (avionics) upgrades. In addition, “new-production” TAAs, such as the Cirrus Design Corporation (Cirrus) SR 20 and SR 22 and The Lancair Company (Lancair) Columbia 300, are entering the fleet in increasing numbers.

Studies are not regulatory. According to the reg, I'd say yes.

I see nothing in the reg that requires multiple monitors. I believe that aircraft qualifies as a TAA.

Answers seem mixed so far. Might be a FSDO question after all.

Unless there is an advisory circular or interpretation letter, may well be unknown at present.

1. Does the MFD have to necessarily be separate from the PFD? For example, a Dynon can do split screen which shows moving map one half and the PFD on the other. Could this be a PFD/MFD even though it's only one screen?
I don't see any wording requiring them to be seperate boxes. As long as you have the listed instruments in the PFD and the listed MFD functions AND DISPLAYED AT THE SAME TIME, it's allowable.
2. The reg says nothing about the GPS being IFR certified so could the Dynon with it's internal VFR GPS qualify?
In fact, I believe the omission of the word IFR is intentional here. The idea was for some non-IFR capable trainers to be legally usable for this.

It appears that it can.

I've heard that dual G5s can qualify but I've also heard that it doesn't because the G5 flight director function is not a real flight director with outputs for pitch and roll, and the command bars are a "depiction" only. Without those pitch and roll outputs it's not a truly "integrated" autopilot as mentioned in 61.129(j)(2).
An autopilot has to control the airplane. A flight director isn't itself an autopilot (though it is frequently implemented in the same unit).

The reg seems pretty clear to me, and that plane checks all the boxes.

See "Twin City..." seven paragraphs below the cited paragraph here:
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...on-training-and-pilot-schools-and-other#p-239

Which is snipped from Bold Method's article here:
https://www.boldmethod.com/blog/art...t-training-requirement-for-commercial-pilots/

My question would revolve more around what you expect to accomplish with this TAA training. If it’s just checking the box for the Commercial requirements, I’d guess a non-IFR GPS would be satisfactory. If you’re looking to learn to use the equipment to its best advantage, you’ll d say you want an IFR GPS, and probably a “real” flight director.

Thanks dtuuri, that's exactly what I was looking for. The Federal Register document really clarified the points I was looking for.

I was toying with the idea of a cost effective training aircraft for a flight school, specifically for commercial/CFI training. To retrofit a 172 with all the advanced avionics required would be 30k plus a lot of downtime. To try to purchase a Cessna 172 already outfitted would also cost a ridiculous amount. The most cost effective way of doing it would seem to be a S-LSA like an RV-12 if it meets the TAA requirements. Fuel burn around $20 an hour with auto gas, fixed gear so cheaper annuals and less maintenance, likely newer so less maintenance in general, and glass cockpit might attract more people. Plane would be around 80-90k. An old complex airplane like an arrow might be bought for around 30-40k, but hourly fuel burn is higher along with hourly engine reserve. Maintenance would be higher with an older airframe and retractable gear, insurance higher, etc.

Vans makes an S-LSA RV-12 that also has an IFR GPS in it, then that airplane could be used for instrument training as well. https://www.flyrv12.com/the-rv-12ist-trainer/
However there are no used ones for sale and new it's 150k+. There are plenty of older 172s that are equipped for instrument training, so a new plane is not that serious, especially at that price point. Although if you were looking for a business justification for it, you might be able to deduct more with depreciation on a new airplane, and having one plane equipped to provide all training for students would mean low overhead since you would only have to deal with maintenance and insurance on one plane. It could be your personal plane for fun while also paying for itself through instruction.

Or maybe I just spend a lot of time daydreaming.

TAA also got added as a definition in 61.1 last year.

Technically advanced airplane (TAA) means an airplane equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system.

Could you expand on this, please? I'm assuming your comment is directed at the part about expecting instruction to pay for the aircraft?

Probably making a comment about the idea of buying yourself a expensive toy and saying it going to make you money is blowing smoke.

The whole TAA thing is awsome, it’s obvious proof that commercial pilots never land gear up anymore and thus we can dumb down the complex training requirement in lieu of a screen or two in a panel.

**** and *** :devil:

TAA Total (Active) Aircraft Authorization
TAA Trade Adjustment Assistance
TAA Trentino-Alto Adige (Italy; autonomous region)
TAA Training and Assessment
TAA The American Academy (online education; Salt Lake City, UT)
TAA Temporal Anti-Aliasing (graphics processing)
TAA Tax Administration Act (various locations)
TAA Terapia Asistida con Animales (Spanish: Assisted Therapy with Animals)
TAA Time Account Adjustment
TAA Terminal Arrival Area
TAA Technical Advisor Analyst
TAA Type Access Analyzer
TAA Tactical Airsoft Arena (Rockville, MD)
TAA Tactical Asset Allocation
TAA Transitional Adjustment Assistance (NAFTA)
TAA Texas Apartment Association
TAA Tumor-Associated Antigen
TAA Teaching Assistants' Association (Wisconsin)
TAA Trans Australia Airlines
TAA Trans-Australia Airlines (defunct Australian airline)
TAA Trade Agreement Act
TAA Technical Assistance Agreement
TAA Total Army Analysis
TAA Tactical Assembly Area
TAA Thioacetamide
TAA Take Appropriate Action
TAA Turkish-American Association
TAA Technologically Advanced Aircraft
TAA Turkish Aeronautical Association (est. 1925)
TAA Ticket Agents Association (UK; entertainment)
TAA Taiwanese Association of America
TAA Thai AirAsia
TAA Tanzania Airports Authority
TAA Terminal Arrival Area (aviation)
TAA Thomas Alleyne Academy (UK)
TAA Teacher Achievement Award (various locations)
TAA Tribes Aerial Assault (gaming)
TAA Transverse Aortic Arch
TAA Texas Aquaculture Association
TAA Tallahassee Auto Auction (Tallahassee, FL)
TAA Trans Atlantic Airlines
TAA Test Automation Alliance
TAA Technical Approval Authority
TAA Tachyarrhythmia Absoluta (cardiology)
TAA Taos Art Association (New Mexico, USA)
TAA Tactical Air Army
TAA Telecom Agent Association
TAA Target Audience Analysis
TAA Technology Assistance Agreement
TAA Track Access Agreement (UK railways)
TAA Tyler Apartment Association (Tyler, TX)
TAA Technology Area Assessment
TAA Target Aspect Angle
TAA Temporary Accumulation Area
TAA Travel Agent Arbiter
TAA Tactical Army Automation
TAA Terminal Advanced Automation
TAA Transit Advertising Association
TAA Technical Application Architecture (Sprint)
TAA Teens Act for AIDS (est. 2005)
TAA Telecommunications Associates of America
TAA Tanker Alert Area
TAA Taekwondo Antibes Academy (France)
TAA Turbine Alternator Assembly
TAA Tactical Automation Appraisal
TAA Triaxial Angular Accelerometer
TAA Tactical Aerospace Assessment
TAA Transmitting Antenna Array
TAA Tri-p-Anisylamine
TAA Theater Area Army
TAA Technical Airworthiness Arrangements (Canada)
TAA Team Assignment Agreement
TAA Time And Attendence
TAA Transfer Allowed Acknowledgement (SS7)
TAA Track Acquisition Achieved
TAA Training Advisory Alert
TAA Thoracic Aortic Aneuryism
TAA Total Army Authorization
TAA Taiwan Architects Association (Taiwan)
TAA Technological Advances in Aeronautics (conference)
TAA Toshima-Ku Archery Association (est. 1953; Tokyo, Japan)
TAA Transmission Ability of the Atmosphere (meteorology)

Could you expand on this, please? I'm assuming your comment is directed at the part about expecting instruction to pay for the aircraft?
Indeed. So many pitfalls it's hard to list 'em. Does the OP have his own airport? Gonna have to give somebody a cut to use theirs. The rental prices he'll have to compete with are set by efficiently run established FBOs, probably. They may be using airplanes leased back to them by high earners set up to use the depreciation advantages against non-aviation derived profits. The maintenance on those planes, tie down and hangar costs are a source of profit for the competing FBO whereas they'd be a cost to the DIY OP. Does the OP live in a northern state where weather limits flying to about six months per year? And so on and so forth... Not likely the plane will "pay for itself through instruction".

Indeed. So many pitfalls it's hard to list 'em. Does the OP have his own airport? Gonna have to give somebody a cut to use theirs. The rental prices he'll have to compete with are set by efficiently run established FBOs, probably. They may be using airplanes leased back to them by high earners set up to use the depreciation advantages against non-aviation derived profits. The maintenance on those planes, tie down and hangar costs are a source of profit for the competing FBO whereas they'd be a cost to the DIY OP. Does the OP live in a northern state where weather limits flying to about six months per year? And so on and so forth... Not likely the plane will "pay for itself through instruction".

Anywhere can be a airport if you’re brave enough ;)

Gotcha. I assumed that was the direction you were going but wanted to make sure. My brother and I are intent on getting a plane early next year if I end up moving out to where he is, and I've been playing around with the numbers to get an idea of how it might work if I did some instructing on the side.

Back