What is the best way to study for the Instrument Written Test?

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Michael Caliz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Bellanca_Pilot

Bellanca_Pilot Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dewey
    Weekend ground school!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsstevens likes this.
  2. FreqFlyrJr

FreqFlyrJr Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    LuckyLindy
    I think most people here would agree that after the Private Pilot Airplane (PAR) test, Sheppardair is the way to go.

3. write-stuff

write-stuff En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    write-stuff
    Gold Method is a highly intelligent piece of software. It's not just a "dumb" quiz generator as virtually all of its competitors are. Built-in algorithms monitor you and determine when you have mastered a question. When that happens, the question is removed from the pool. The result is that you work on a continuously shrinking pool of questions. It forces you to drill down into the questions that give you the most trouble.

NEVER MAKE A WILD GUESS! If you don't know the answer to a question, click the "Cheat" button. This will give you a thorough explanation of how to determine the correct answer, sometimes in text, sometimes in video, and sometimes with graphics. This is where learning occurs.

Gold Method is designed so that you actually learn the concept, not memorize the answer. In fact, it uses a proprietary 3D randomization that actively thwarts rote memorization. If the FAA decides to reword a question or answer (which they do), no problem.

As expected, Gold Method automatically generates a signed Endorsement for both the Instrument and Commercial Knowledge Tests. And it has a "You Pass or We Pay" guarantee.

www.GoldMethod.com

jumper, murphey and WannFly like this.
  4. 6t6

6t6 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    North Bound
    I just passed mine month ago with a 90. Not perfect but good enough. I recommend using these two

Sheppard. That will give you insight for the test itself. Tricky questions, keys to correctly answer banks of questions in a certain subjects

Another one I recommend is a guy named Lucas Noia.
    Try some some of his free stuff on YouTube. I did and liked it and bought his course. About $100. He has it down and easy to grasp and has some very clever tricks that you can actually use not just to pass the test but practical application.

5. texasclouds

texasclouds Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Subscribed

6. farky

farky Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    farky
    So do they or do they not release the questions anymore? Everyone acts like Sheppard Air is basically the question bank and if you just memorize that then you'll be good to go for the test....but I thought that was supposedly a thing of the past?

7. ZeroPapaGolf

ZeroPapaGolf Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ZeroPapaGolf
    The banks are no longer public and haven’t been for a while, but Sheppard pays a bounty (refunds your fee) if you provide them with any new or changed questions you come across on your actual test. That keeps it very close to perfectly accurate.

8. tylerjewell

tylerjewell Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    TylerJewell
    I took my instrument knowledge test a few weeks ago and got a 90. I studied Sporty's test bank and would do a rapid 60 question test, then study the areas that I got wrong 1-2x / day. I did that over a couple of weeks and I was consistently in the 95% on the test. The exam itself was quite different from the questions that I had prepared. The topics were of the same relevance, but there were at least 15 types of questions that asked about elements that were not in the test bank, and I had to really think through logically with process of elimination what the right answer might be. I was fairly prepared. I did my checkride 2 weeks after the exam and the examiner thought my oral

9. Fast Leroy

Fast Leroy Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fast Leroy
    ROTE Learning will help you pass the test but won't necessarily help you learn the material. It works by reading the question and then only reading the correct answer. The idea that then, during the test, the correct answer will stand out from the rest of wrong answers.

10. Steegie

Steegie Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Steegie
    I know I'm coming in on this kinda late but my 2 cents says to pay a few bucks to attend formal classes at a good school. That's what I did and it worked well for me. In a classroom setting other students ask questions you haven't thought of yet and you benefit big time. Or.....pay a good tutor for 1 on 1. If I were doing it over, I'd still go with the formal classroom setting. Good luck!

11. write-stuff

write-stuff En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    write-stuff
    It is (a thing of the past).

12. Steegie

Steegie Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Steegie
    Excellent choice!

13. Jim_CAK

Jim_CAK Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim_CAK
    Check out @write-stuff signature line. I used their ground school for the commercial written and did very well. The explanations are very good. You can actually learn how to do the problems from them.

write-stuff likes this.
  14. Adventure Aviator

Adventure Aviator Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Adventure Aviator
    Just getting started and using sheppardair and goldmethod. 250nm Cross country is tomorrow as long as the convective stuff behaves.

write-stuff and Jim_CAK like this.
  15. Archimago

Archimago Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Archimago
    I am thinking of ditching the prepared test prep options and study using the ACS which lists the source under each task. Is there anything that will bite me doing this?

16. Jim_CAK

Jim_CAK Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim_CAK
    A thorough review of the ACS is a must - but it is not prep for the written. The material for the written comes mostly from the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Information, the FAR/AIM and the Airplane flying handbook. They are all free in electronic form and the printed copies are not expensive. I think the best test prep cites the appropriate reference so you can look up the reference material.

17. old727pilot

old727pilot Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    bernard
    Michael , after flying more than 23,000 hours with the airlines , CFI,CFII , Check Airman and airline instructor the best answer and advice depends on the license . Seems like you are trying to obtain the PPL license , that means that you have to take the Easa examination which is twice as hard as the FAA exams.
    For that I recommend enrolling in one of schools approved to teach EASA courses. The exams are not as easy as the FAA . Trust me I was an EASA instructor.
    On the other hand if you are getting the FAA private license all you need is to purchase the courses offerd by King, Sporty's ,Gleim etc. Study them and take the practical tests they offer and when you feel confident then take the FAA exam.
    Remember that your goal is NOT to pass the written test. Your goal is to Learn everything pertaining to aviation as much as you can , so in case you encounter a tough situation in the air you will be able to handle the problem in a safe way.

18. old727pilot

old727pilot Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    bernard
    Friend the idea is not to pass the written exam. You want to learn as much as you can in this business of flying. Get your hands on everything related to flying and learn . Join AOPA , they have a wealth of information , read as many aviation magazines and watch all aviation videos you can get your hands on.
    After retiring flying for the airlines, flying corporate and being a CFI,CFII etc,etc….. I accumulated over 23,000 hours and what I tell my students is this : you learn every single day something new in aviation ; whoever tells you that he knows everything in aviation , he/she is lying to you. Walk away from that person.
    Bernard
    bm727@bellsouth.net

19. Chris Hill

Chris Hill Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Speardivertampa
    I used King’s ground school app on my IPad and thought it was great. Watched it a couple times and got a 92 on the written.

Chris

20. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Probably one of the better methods - learn, not memorize.

21. GregP

GregP Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    GregP
    Kings, the best I have found.

22. Deelee

Deelee Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Deelee
    Great topic! Very timely, too. I got my private certificate back in August and I am ready to start studying for IR now. I am really torn between all the great advice here. I would be doing most of my learning at night on iPad and/or laptop. Between the Sporty's, Sheppard, King and Gold Method, I can't pick. I used King for private coupled with the Sporty's study buddy. Got a 98 on the written and did very well on the practical. Actually studied FAR/AIM, ACS, PHAK a ton for the practical...

Anyway, the King stuff just looks a bit dated. Is that the case? AAAaaaagh. Can't decide and don't want to plunk down good money on multiple ground school courses...

23. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri