What is it?

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
If you know the purpose for the long tail pipe don't answer just yet so others can have a crack at it.

Attachments

• Airplanes 146.jpg
    Airplanes 146.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 109
We had a plane with almost that exact same set up come into Augusta last month, I was so curious I had to ask them on the radio what it was. Surprisingly easy solution for that problem.

I can't open the picture to see the details but from what I can see, I flew an airplane with a similar setup so I think I know what it is....

Edit: I got the picture to open and I'm even surer that I know what it is...

I am going with noise reduction. I understand that the Border Patrol drones have a 6 blade prop and a long exhaust to remain undetected. This could be to reduce noise in the cabin for the traffic reporter so he can talk on camera live.

Looks like I may have parked next to the same airplane at Provo UT last year ...

And no, I don't know the answer to the question. (I blanked out the reg in the photo so as not to give away that clue.)

Attachments

• P1010989.jpg
    P1010989.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
OK, where I've seen these elongated exhausts were on planes used for photography or other sensor packages, the long pipe keeps the exhaust products from interfering with the camera or sensors.

OK, where I've seen these elongated exhausts were on planes used for photography or other sensor packages, the long pipe keeps the exhaust products from interfering with the camera or sensors.

I think you are on to something. If that hole in the baggage door is for a camera - or even better an infrared camera - the long pipe is to lead the hot exhaust behind the camera port so the exhaust heat doesn't scramble the infrared photographs.

-Skip

Yesh, we had a plane in here at Clow a couple months ago, and I went up and asked, because it wasn't immediately obvious!:no: But it is a great solution. Not just for infrared, but because the heat and exhaust causes distortion of the photos.

Back