What is considered "cross country"?

ATC_av8er

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ATC_av8er
Is there a set distance? My home airport, BJC is 7 miles from EIK. Does this technically qualify as a cross-country flight? I do know what the FAR's say about distance for PPL X-Country, I am just asking for a general idea.

Whatcha do when there ain't no ski lifts. Standby for the differences between logable CC, whatcha need to get a license, or is that licentificate. Oh yeah, there are the different rating requirements. At its most basic it's ya gotta land somewheres other than from where ya took off from and ya navigated to get thar.

I think 50 NM is the usual standard...at least that is what I use in my log.

For me it would be cross country. But if you are building time to advance ratings, 50 miles is cross country.

And 7 miles is still loggable cross country, but that time cannot be used for advancement.

FAA defenition is pretty much any other airport you land at...50nm minimum is needed for XC time in regards to ratings as mentioned.

I personally only log over 50nm as XC.

Expanding on Shawn's post: FAR 61.1 contains the definition you are looking for...I won't print it here so that you will crack open your FAR/AIM and maybe learn something.

Bob

A cross country needs to be 50 nm for some ratings, but not for others.
Nothing magic about the 50nm distance.

Sometimes a flight can be logged as cross country and counted as C.C. towards some particular rating.
Sometimes a flight can be logged as cross country but can not be counted as C.C. towards some particular rating.
Sometimes s flight can not be logged as cross country but can be counted as cross country towards a particular rating.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Is there a set distance? My home airport, BJC is 7 miles from EIK. Does this technically qualify as a cross-country flight? I do know what the FAR's say about distance for PPL X-Country, I am just asking for a general idea.

By definition, cross-country time includes any flight conducted by a pilot in an aircraft that includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure that includes the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

To meet the requirements for a private certificate, a commercial certificate, instrument rating. Under 61.101(c), cross-country time requires a point of landing that is more than 50 nm straight-line distance from the original point of departure. 14 CFR 61.1(b)(3)(ii).

See FAR 61.1.

Cross-country time means—

(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (ii) through (vi) of this definition, time acquired during flight—

(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;

(B) Conducted in an aircraft;

(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and

(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under §61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—

(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;

(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
Expanding on Shawn's post: FAR 61.1 contains the definition you are looking for...I won't print it here so that you will crack open your FAR/AIM and maybe learn something.

Bob

Bob,

Since you are an DE, what constitutes the measurement? Is it airport ref point airport ref point electronically or a measure from the shortest measure between edges of the airport symbols on a chart?

See FAR 61.1.

Cross-country time means—

(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (ii) through (vi) of this definition, time acquired during flight—

(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;

(B) Conducted in an aircraft;

(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and

(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under §61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—

(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;

(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

Bob,

Since you are an DE, what constitutes the measurement? Is it airport ref point airport ref point electronically or a measure from the shortest measure between edges of the airport symbols on a chart?

I was a DE in the distant past, before you were born. There is no regulation that creates the distinction that you would like to make...it is up to the examiner. You will find that examiners are very practical folks, not given to nit-picking.

My recommendation to applicants is that they choose airports five or ten miles beyond the statutory requirements.

Bob

Last edited:
What do most of you do with the cross country column in your log book? All CCs? Just 50nm+ CCs? I only put 50nm+ in that column so it is easier if I need them for a rating.

What do most of you do with the cross country column in your log book? All CCs? Just 50nm+ CCs? I only put 50nm+ in that column so it is easier if I need them for a rating.

You really should only log cross country when you fly cross country. You must land at a distant airport and have at least one leg of 50nm or more. Flying out and back with a single landing at your home airport is not cross country even if you fly more than 50nm.

For hops around the local area and pattern work, I don't enter anything in the cross country column. However, I routinely fly 200-300 miles (quite often more) straight line distance away from my point of takeoff without landing anywhere but back at my home drone. I do log those as cross country flights. If the FAA doesn't like it, who cares, I have more than enough hours of point to point cross country time to satisfy any of their rating requirements.

For hops around the local area and pattern work, I don't enter anything in the cross country column. However, I routinely fly 200-300 miles (quite often more) straight line distance away from my point of takeoff without landing anywhere but back at my home drone. I do log those as cross country flights. If the FAA doesn't like it, who cares, I have more than enough hours of point to point cross country time to satisfy any of their rating requirements.

I do 200nm round trips routinely landing once at home and do not log them as cross country. How do you do 300nm straight lines out and back again without refueling (600nm)?

The FAA won't care how you log time. Your log book is an honesty and integrity issue. And to a minor extent when logging without a CFI verifying your training hours is between you and your insurance company if they require the hours.

I just log >50 miles. Some people have a column for 61.1 cross country and a separate one for >50 miles

You really should only log cross country when you fly cross country. You must land at a distant airport and have at least one leg of 50nm or more. Flying out and back with a single landing at your home airport is not cross country even if you fly more than 50nm.
Not according to 61.1. If you fly to an airport 5 miles away, it's still considered a cross country. Personally I won't log it unless it's >50 miles away but it's still legally loggable as an XC

Not according to 61.1. If you fly to an airport 5 miles away, it's still considered a cross country. Personally I won't log it unless it's >50 miles away but it's still legally loggable as an XC

By definition, cross-country time includes any flight conducted by a pilot in an aircraft that includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure that includes the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

61.1 Applies to qualifying for a certificate.
To meet the requirements for a private certificate, a commercial certificate, instrument rating. Under 61.101(c), cross-country time requires a point of landing that is more than 50 nm straight-line distance from the original point of departure. 14 CFR 61.1(b)(3)(ii).

61.1 Applies to qualifying for a certificate.
Yea you just proved my point. Let's say I fly from ABC-DEF. I land in DEF and come back to ABC and it's a 5 mile flight. I use GPS to navigate, which is one of the criteria you mentioned above. I can log that flight as cross country time as defined by 61.1

I do 200nm round trips routinely landing once at home and do not log them as cross country. How do you do 300nm straight lines out and back again without refueling (600nm)?

The FAA won't care how you log time. Your log book is an honesty and integrity issue. And to a minor extent when logging without a CFI verifying your training hours is between you and your insurance company if they require the hours.

I fly a 2600 nm plane.

Unless it's more than 1500nm, it's not a XC

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It just dawned on me that almost all of the hours I had when trainging for PPL were cross country. I learned to fly at a club that was on a Naval Airstation. They wouldn't let us bounce there so we had to go to another airport to play. There may have been one or two flights where we just went to the practice area and came back.

Yea you just proved my point. Let's say I fly from ABC-DEF. I land in DEF and come back to ABC and it's a 5 mile flight. I use GPS to navigate, which is one of the criteria you mentioned above. I can log that flight as cross country time as defined by 61.1

Yes, but that time wouldn't count towards the xc time needed for initial certificate or future ratings. I only log the ones >50 nm for now. When I get past the IR, commercial and CFI stuff, maybe I'll include the shorter trips as well.

Yes, but that time wouldn't count towards the xc time needed for initial certificate or future ratings. I only log the ones >50 nm for now. When I get past the IR, commercial and CFI stuff, maybe I'll include the shorter trips as well.
Exactly. It is far easier to track your required x-country time for future ratings if you limit that column to over 50nm.

Once you get your ATP, log whatever you want.

Yep I know. It sounded like the other poster said you couldn't log it as an XC unless it was greater than >50 miles.

The distance is less important than the use of navaids or navigation and landing at another airport. But if you want a benchmark you could use 61.1 and use 50nm as your min distance. So you need to use a VOR or GPS to go 5nm? 51.1 says 50nm not 5 btw.

The distance is less important than the use of navaids or navigation and landing at another airport. But if you want a benchmark you could use 61.1 and use 50nm as your min distance. So you need to use a VOR or GPS to go 5nm? 51.1 says 50nm not 5 btw.
Again, you're proving my point. If you use a VOR, dead reckoning, pilotage, GPS, etc, regardless of distance, it's a cross country according the basic definition of an XC. It doesn't need to be 50 miles unless you're using it in furtherance of a rating. If you take off and use GPS to navigate to an airport 5 miles away, it's a cross country.

Again, you're proving my point. If you use a VOR, dead reckoning, pilotage, GPS, etc, regardless of distance, it's a cross country according the basic definition of an XC. It doesn't need to be 50 miles unless you're using it in furtherance of a rating. If you take off and use GPS to navigate to an airport 5 miles away, it's a cross country.

All threads considered I'm starting to see that dude as a troll

I just log >50 miles. Some people have a column for 61.1 cross country and a separate one for >50 miles

Yeah, my logbook has two columns, one for "ALL" and one for "OVER 50 NM":

Log_Book_XC.jpg

I liked this split approach because it tracked time flying somewhere other than the practice patch, even if it was less than 50 nm.

Under FARS 61.1(4)(ii) and 61.109, of course, the DPE only cared about the cross-country time in the OVER 50 NM column.

Last edited:
Back when I was still going for various certificates, I simply marked the qualifying cross country entries and totaled those up. Easy to do with an electronic logbook.

You can LOG whatever the heck you want. What is usable for one thing or another is a different story.

I just know that, if you're going for your instrument rating, you'll need at least 50 hours of cross-country >50 NM. I've always just logged XC as flight > 50 NM. I think how some logbooks are put together, it gets confusing. However, if you stick with the 50 NM or greater rule, you'll be fine.

When I was working on hours for my Commercial rating a lot of my cross countries were to a private strip because my girlfriend lived right across the road. It was awesome until I went for my checkride and the DPE measured it...49.5 miles. He sent me home because I was something like 20 cross country hours short after he threw them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about ATP? Do those 500 hours need to be 50+ as well, or is it just CP/IR?

When I was working on hours for my Commercial rating a lot of my cross countries were to a private strip because my girlfriend lived right across the road. It was awesome until I went for my checkride and the DPE measured it...49.5 miles. He sent me home because I was something like 20 cross country hours short after he threw them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your DPE was a bit of a d*ck...

What about ATP? Do those 500 hours need to be 50+ as well, or is it just CP/IR?
61.1(b)(3)(vi). The only difference is you don't actually need to land. You can fly from ABC-DEF with a distance of 50 miles, turn around without landing and it counts.

61.1(b)(3)(vi). The only difference is you don't actually need to land. You can fly from ABC-DEF with a distance of 50 miles, turn around without landing and it counts.

By your definition virtually every flight is a cross country (even just looping around in the pattern). 61.1 is a definition for training qualifications. In practice, there needs to be a distinction between flying around the patch and actual cross country flying. Landing at another airport requiring some use of navigation is a little more than local flying.

But you can log anyway you want. If all your hours are listed as cross-country then if you ever needed to show your log book to someone they may question why.

By your definition virtually every flight is a cross country (even just looping around in the pattern). 61.1 is a definition for training qualifications. In practice, there needs to be a distinction between flying around the patch and actual cross country flying. Landing at another airport requiring some use of navigation is a little more than local flying.

But you can log anyway you want. If all your hours are listed as cross-country then if you ever needed to show your log book to someone they may question why.
Negative. A cross country requires a landing somewhere else other than the point of departure. I personally don't log anything that's under 50 miles but it's not wrong to. You're telling people that they can't log a cross country unless it's greater than 50 miles which is completely wrong. You've even quoted the definition that argues against your position.

Back