What is a Piper Wing Leveler?

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Most of the Piper’s I’ve flown in have a Century Piper Autopilot that will keep wings level and follow the heading bug. I’ve come across a Piper Wing Leveler - what is this? A one axis A/P with no heading bug following?

I call it a Half-Axis (half-a**sed) autopilot. It's not connected to anything so it will not keep it on a heading, so not a real autopilot. I have one in my cherokee. It's exactly what it says - keeps the aircraft fairly level. If the wind changes, the airplane remains level but goes where the wind pushes it. Handy for a short time when you need to check a chart or dig into a sandwich.

Look like this? Unlike Mandm's, mine doesn't have a tracking switch. Just the knob to alter the heading, and the switch to turn it off. There's also a switch on the yoke to turn it off.

A bit more detail from the Piper Owner group:

https://piperowner.org/talk/discussion/153994/wing-leveler

Based on Mitchell’s basic model, the Piper AutoFlite was a simple, remote-mounted wing leveler. It consisted of a remote-mounted rate gyro, a servo, and a panel-mounted switch. Turn it on, and the wings would (or should) remain level. An optional tracker was available which allowed the unit to track a VOR bearing. It worked, but reliability was an issue.

Attachments

• wing.png
    wing.png
    269.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I call it a Half-Axis (half-a**sed) autopilot. It's not connected to anything so it will not keep it on a heading, so not a real autopilot. I have one in my cherokee. It's exactly what it says - keeps the aircraft fairly level. If the wind changes, the airplane remains level but goes where the wind pushes it. Handy for a short time when you need to check a chart or dig into a sandwich.

I also see an autopilot tracking switch on the panel. Any idea what this is for?

See images

Attachments

• 4A4E05DE-4CF5-4925-914D-890BB3DF6974.jpeg
    4A4E05DE-4CF5-4925-914D-890BB3DF6974.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 4E49A6FA-2A8B-41E7-822B-39E9AC50959F.jpeg
    4E49A6FA-2A8B-41E7-822B-39E9AC50959F.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 44
I also see an autopilot tracking switch on the panel. Any idea what this is for?
Murphey already explained the tracking switch. "An optional tracker was available which allowed the unit to track a VOR bearing". Can (could) track a VOR or LORAN. If nobody has touched that switch, that tells me it hasnt been used in a LONG time

I have a Piper Autocontrol 3B. It is a very competent unit when used in heading or tracking modes. I currently use it connected to my Aspen for GPSS. However, in all my many years of flying it, I have felt that the wing leveling function was not very useful. When I tried to use it, it merely served as an electronic bank control that could be used instead of control with the yolk. But it actually would not maintain wings level left untouched after getting the wings initially level with that control-I would always have to tweak it to keep wings level. The best way to keep the wings level was to just use it in heading mode set to a heading of your choice-No further tweaking required.

I have a Piper Autocontrol 3B.
There's one in the PA-32 I bought last spring.

It is a very competent unit when used in heading or tracking modes.
I wouldn't know. The HSI the prior owner put into the airplane a couple of years ago won't talk to the Autocontrol 3B. :(

I have felt that the wing leveling function was not very useful. When I tried to use it, it merely served as an electronic bank control that could be used instead of control with the yolk. But it actually would not maintain wings level left untouched after getting the wings initially level with that control-I would always have to tweak it to keep wings level.
My experience exactly.

The best way to keep the wings level was to just use it in heading mode set to a heading of your choice-No further tweaking required.
Maybe someday ... :cool:

Snarky answer: it’s supposed to level the wings so they stick out straight and not a dihedral. But since we always see the wings pointed up at a slight angle, they don’t work very well as @murphey points out.

sometimes called a wing-wobbler

Are you instrument rated? if not, learn to use it, might come in handy if you ever inadvertantly wander into imc.

Back