What is 3M 398FR Glass Cloth Tape

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Is it basically aviation-grade flame-retardant duct tape?

Kind of but you have to peel off the backing and don't expect to be able to tear it by hand, it has to be cut with a knife or scissors. It sticks pretty well but is easy to remove and does not leave any residue. Airlines use it to tape over cargo pit liners. One advantage is that the surface is very slippery.

I already met my friend. I want to know who uses it and what they use it for. Came across a roll of it in one of the A&P classrooms.

I'd say about 20% of consumable materials are aviation specific. More often than not, its an industrial item that meets some SAE spec that also meets some sort of MIL spec.

For instance, I ordered vacuum hose for a Cessna, from a Cessna dealer, and wound up receiving an industrial SAE Gates brand 5/8 fuel hose with a Cessna 8130-3 taped to it...

I've worked corporate maintenance for about 7 years now and not sure I've crossed paths with the tape you are looking at.

Is it basically aviation-grade flame-retardant duct tape?

Essentially. We used it in the pits of cargo planes to close up the seams between the composite side wall panels. They produced a smoke/flame barrier.

Back