What happens when you pass out during different phases of flight?

wildb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildb
What would happen if you passed out, flying solo, during different phases of flight?
during taxi, take off, cruise, decent, landing etc...

the plane eventually goes crash. Even with as autopilot it will eventually crash.

Nothing good, but there are a lot of factors that could affect the outcome. Slow taxi into a ditch while driving a 172 probably wouldn't be fatal unless it caught fire.

Yes but how long is the average pass out? I would assume that during cruise you could pass out and come back to before any unrecoverable situation occurs. During take off, assuming you are trimmed correctly wouldn't you continue to climb out until you came to, assuming you didn't pull the ailerons during pass out.

Yes but how long is the average pass out? I would assume that during cruise you could pass out and come back to before any unrecoverable situation occurs.

There's been a few high-profile hypoxia situations that say otherwise.

How exactly does one pull the ailerons?

I'm all about exchanging ideas and honest questions, sharing our faults and failures to help each other become better students/pilots/aviators, etc... But I find myself forced to add this to the list of stupid questions I've seen on the internet.

I'm all about exchanging ideas and honest questions, sharing our faults and failures to help each other become better students/pilots/aviators, etc... But I find myself forced to add this to the list of stupid questions I've seen on the internet.

:yeahthat:

Besides, who cares, you're unconscious.

Or do you have a medical concern that you didn't want to accidentally reveal?

Last edited:
The important question is whether you can log PIC time while you're unconscious.

Seriously, though, if you are at risk for losing consciousness, you should never fly except with another pilot who is prepared to take over.

Not so stupid. As I mentioned in another post, I saw a guy passout in the pattern. It was his first solo and he hyperventilated. The plane did a desending turn into the ground. He lived but broke every bone in his body, well almost. He was in a Tomahawk which has a built in tubular frame. It rolled up like a ball of foil as it was designed to do.

Solution is to remember to drink less alcohol then usual while flying at high altitudes. All about managing the buzz.

Not to mention it's an open ended question with no simple answer. What type of pass out? Is it due to G force? Is it a medical condition? Too many variables to answer and too many specific aircraft equipment variations to provide an answer.

Might be a better outcome than if you were in your car driving 60mph as long as you wake up before you hit the ground.

More importantly is the fact that one of the questions on your medical (18c to be precise) is whether or not you have ever been unconscious. If passing out is an issue you will not get a medical.

Or do you have a medical concern that you didn't want to accidentally reveal?
Ding! Ding! Ding!

I'm thinking OP has a condition he hid during the medical, or he's thinking about hiding. And now he's assessing the risk.

If that's not it, I'm with the other poster who said it's one of the dumbest questions on this board.

Man, you people think of some weird stuff.

You could drown if you pass out in the bathtub....

More importantly is the fact that one of the questions on your medical (18c to be precise) is whether or not you have ever been unconscious.

Most normal people encounter a period of 6 to 8 hours of unconsciousness every night.

Some people do seem unconscious when they sleep but there is still a difference.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Nobody "passed" out but a few years ago a guy accidentally prop started his Champ at full throttle and it took off with nobody on board and flew until it ran out of gas somewhere up by lake Berryessa.

Errr, say what now? :skeptical:

Yup, the PA-38 Tomahawk, designed as a trainer from the inception was built around a tubular steel frame. The idea was that the rest of the aircraft would act as an energy adsorbing crumple zone leaving the cabin intact. I know this because I was student when they first came out and my FBO was one of the first buyers. I always liked them.

What type of pass out? Is it due to G force?
I'm with you; however, per the OP:

What would happen if you passed out [...] during taxi, take off, cruise, decent, landing etc...
If you experience GLOC during any of these phases you're doing something very, very wrong. :D

Nauga,
who got that X

Yes but how long is the average pass out?

You ask that question as if people are randomly passing out on a regular basis. To answer it, I think it would depend upon the cause.

If we're talking autoerotic asphyxiation in flight, I can provide plenty of feedback, otherwise I'm out of the loop here.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I'm thinking OP has a condition he hid during the medical, or he's thinking about hiding. And now he's assessing the risk.

If that's not it, I'm with the other poster who said it's one of the dumbest questions on this board.

This is most assuredly a question for professor Irwin Cory who cannot be reached at this site.

Yep! :ohsnap:

"Okay I'm a free fall skydiver. What would happen if I passed out shortly after I jumped?"

I can count maybe three things that might happen, and none of them require a degree in rocket science to figure out.

What would happen if you passed out, flying solo, during different phases of flight?
during taxi, take off, cruise, decent, landing etc...

You lose your ability to hold a medical, at least until you get a whole lot of medical work done, read $$$$$$.

Back