What happened with Patty Wagstaff?

And, the story ain't over.

I can be scheduled for a trip to Australia this summer. But, that doesn't guarantee I'm going.

That doesn't obligate the carrier to cover someone after observing national news of actions that bring their judgment to question. Take a look at your auto policy. I'm sure there's a clause that allows them to cancel at any time with notice; usually thirty days.

i dont know that i would really consider the Patty Wagstaff story national news. yes, its been spread around on pilot websites etc., but ask the average local non-pilot at an airshow and i bet they wont know anything about it, unless they are from Oshkosh. All of the news articles about this have come from local Wisconsin newspapers right?

She lives in Floriduh and presumably has a license from there. How can Wisconsin suspend it?
Wisconsin can only suspend her privileges in Wisconsin, but under the Interstate Driver's License Compact (http://www.1800duilaws.com/common/dlc_nrvc.asp) and the Non-Resident Violators Compact of 1977 (NRVC), if Florida finds out they suspend her Florida license for the same period. However, Wisconsin is not a signatory of the DLC, so maybe Florida doesn't find out that way, and maybe she skates on that.

Last edited:
Wisconsin can only suspend her privileges in Wisconsin, but under the Interstate Driver's License Compact (http://www.1800duilaws.com/common/dlc_nrvc.asp) and the Non-Resident Violators Compact of 1977 (NRVC), if Florida finds out they suspend her Florida license for the same period. However, Wisconsin is not a signatory of the DLC, so maybe Florida doesn't find out that way, and maybe she skates on that.

You're touching on it, but it also depends on if both states have similar laws.

When I got pinched for speeding back to my plane in Oshkosh in the Racine County(WI)-we-pull-over-Illinois-drivers trap, my lawyer plead me guilty to a lesser charge that didn't exist in Illinois so Illinois didn't ding my record at all. Still cost me a fortune in fees and fines.

Probably allergies Tim <g> I'm sure she hasn't had enough experience with alcohol to have figured that out yet.

Two sides to every story, but this sure doesn't sound good for a roll model :rofl: Maybe a loopy one too.

Best,

Dave

Probably allergies Tim <g> I'm sure she hasn't had enough experience with alcohol to have figured that out yet.

Two sides to every story, but this sure doesn't sound good for a roll model :rofl: Maybe a loopy one too.

Best,

Dave

Two sides, except for this part:

Wagstaff said she "probably did use a few choice words" during her booking "because I'm not used to being treated that way." She said she felt officers overstepped their bounds

So, telling the cops they had AIDS, calling them pigs, and punching a police officer repeatedly sounds like right way to react to being slightly mistreated (if that even happened).

From reading the report she sounds like a typical, arrogant celebrity who feels she is above the law. Her ticket should be pulled, possibly permantly. I have no compassion for her behavior. What if she had hit someone and/or plowed into a row of warbirds?

From reading the report she sounds like a typical, arrogant celebrity who feels she is above the law.
It does seem so...still THREE sides to the story...Hers, the cops and what REALLY happened...

Her ticket should be pulled, possibly permantly.
[/QUOTE] No way I could agree to this...She should be treated just like anyone else who gets an alcohol violation on their DL who has a rating...Now here it seems you want to treat her differenty BECAUSE she is a celeberity...?! Yes? No?

I have no compassion for her behavior.
Agreed. Me either. This situation could have been avoided...

What if she had hit someone and/or plowed into a row of warbirds?
Then deal with that when and if it happens...

Perhaps I'm biased, but I'm thinking the better idea is to fry anyone who gets a DWI so that it doesn't happen. Its not much fun being hit by a drunk driver, and I have no respect for those that choose to do so.

Perhaps I'm biased, but I'm thinking the better idea is to fry anyone who gets a DWI so that it doesn't happen. Its not much fun being hit by a drunk driver, and I have no respect for those that choose to do so.

I see no bias just passion and thats OK...but it doesn't help anyone THIS time...just the next time...Right?

I'm sorry if you missed my double entandre, but she is a role model for others. Maybe she shouldn't be treated differently from a DL conviction perspective, but she does air shows that a lot of kids watch. She gets a lot of benes as a cleb.; there should be another side when any cleb. does things like this. Maybe sponsors and EAA should take conduct like this into consideration.

Best,

Dave

I really don't have much patience for drunk drivers who have the potential to take life or property. In this case PREVENTION is the wiser choice. She has demonstrated a lack of critical judgment and should receive the appropriate legal consequences.

I found the part about "four men waiting to pay her bail" sort of interesting. What was probably unsaid was "four VERY wealthy men of influence" were waiting to pay her bail.

None of this would have happened if she'd been smoking pot.

I found the part about "four men waiting to pay her bail" sort of interesting. What was probably unsaid was "four VERY wealthy men of influence" were waiting to pay her bail.
And then she put it on her own credit card. :)

She sounds like a real b!+(h.

What's the difference between a slut and a b!+(h?

A slut sleeps with everybody
A b!+(h sleeps with everybody but you

You can tell a lot about a person by observing how they behave when they are drinking. Or when the chips are down for that matter. She sounds just like another of the XX thousands of drunks who made an ass out of themselves last year, and she's lucky she received the sentence she did (well maybe "luck" isn't the right word.) My personal opinion is that if the EAA invites her back, my non-membership is justified.

It does seem so...still THREE sides to the story...Hers, the cops and what REALLY happened...
That's usually the way it is. Wonder if the cops have any recordings of her conduct (and theirs)? Her reported conduct is certainly consistent with a someone well under the influence of an intoxicating substance. OTOH, cops know how to write reports and testify to support the charges they've made. At the same time, when multiple witnesses from different organizations (county deputies and security staff) report the same conduct, and there are no other witnesses with contrary observations, it gets harder to disbelieve the cops. Finally, remember that Ms. Wagstaff has admitted in court that she cannot refute the charges against her, and has been found guilty of both resisting an officer and operating while intoxicated -- charges consistent with the deputies' statements. I think that makes it hard for her now to credibly refute the statements of the deputies.

Last edited:
That's usually the way it is. Wonder if the cops have any recordings of her conduct (and theirs)? Her reported conduct is certainly consistent with a someone well under the influence of an intoxicating substance. OTOH, cops know how to write reports and testify to support the charges they've made. At the same time, when multiple witnesses from different organizations (county deputies and security staff) report the same conduct, and there are no other witnesses with contrary observations, it gets harder to disbelieve the cops. Finally, remember that Ms. Wagstaff has admitted in court that she cannot refute the charges against her, and has been found guilty of both resisting an officer and operating while intoxicated -- charges consistent with the deputies' statements. I think that makes it hard for her now to credibly refute the statements of the deputies.

I am sure there are booking videos, pretty much every jail in the country video tape bookings now because of all the law suits. Maybe we will get to see her on Girls Gone Wild, Snapped or a new show called Pilots Behaving Badly.:rofl:

She sounds like a real b!+(h.

What's the difference between a slut and a b!+(h?

A slut sleeps with everybody
A b!+(h sleeps with everybody but you

I realize you're attempting to make a (bad) joke, but she's actually very nice if you ever meet her in person. I have, and hope to get to see her again in the future.

And I'll still go to her airshows. I'd be fortunate if I ever got to the point where I could fly half as well as she.

I realize you're attempting to make a (bad) joke, but she's actually very nice if you ever meet her in person. I have, and hope to get to see her again in the future.

Apparently you haven't gotten to see the "Cops are Pigs" drunk version of Patty then. Nice wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe a woman of that caliber.

And I'll still go to her airshows. I'd be fortunate if I ever got to the point where I could fly half as well as she.

Well, if things go the way I hope, you'll be a better pilot very shortly, because she'll have a year of rust to knock off.

Apparently you haven't gotten to see the "Cops are Pigs" drunk version of Patty then. Nice wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe a woman of that caliber.
Patty is a very nice person. And Patty can also be a handful. Like any other person on the face of the planet, she doesn't come in only one flavor.

It's very true that the VIPs at AirVenture start to feel a bit smug and entitled to do whatever they want to on the grounds during the show. And it's also true that the small town cops in Oshkosh start to feel a little overwhelmed during the airshow. Is it really any surprise that tempers do occasionally flare?

Watch the aerobatics pilots socializing and you'll see that this is a group of INTENSE party animals. They warm up with tequila shooters. As a group, they are extreme people; they have to be to make the cut.

And when have you met her at all? I've got more to go on than you here, I believe.

Well, if things go the way I hope, you'll be a better pilot very shortly, because she'll have a year of rust to knock off.

I seriously doubt if, even after a year of rust builds up, either of us would be better than her.

Patty is a very nice person. And Patty can also be a handful. Like any other person on the face of the planet, she doesn't come in only one flavor.

Yep. On some days I'm actually a nice person, for example, but most people just know me as the ass that I am. ;)

Watch the aerobatics pilots socializing and you'll see that this is a group of INTENSE party animals. They warm up with tequila shooters. As a group, they are extreme people; they have to be to make the cut.

Given the kind of flying that they do, this isn't the least bit surprising. I haven't spent that much time around them in that setting.

It's very true that the VIPs at AirVenture start to feel a bit smug and entitled to do whatever they want to on the grounds during the show. And it's also true that the small town cops in Oshkosh start to feel a little overwhelmed during the airshow. Is it really any surprise that tempers do occasionally flare?

Lots of folks are nice when they're in the spotlight handing out autographs. More interesting to see what happens when the chips are down. If someone has to be a b!+(h to be a superior acrobatic pilot, they're still a b!+(h.

By the bye, someone on the AOPA board posted a link to a newspaper with some jail house video. It shows no evidence of the police allegations; she's just sitting there in a dress with her hands behind her back. It doesn't show the whole process, though.

And my joke is really funny to those blessed with a sense of humor.

Watch the aerobatics pilots socializing and you'll see that this is a group of INTENSE party animals.

If I did what they do for a living I would be an intense party animal too, you never know, it could be your last party.

And when have you met her at all? I've got more to go on than you here, I believe.

What does meeting anyone have to do with anything here? I once met a guy that seemed really nice, and is now in jail for another 8 years for murder. I wasn't out there backing him after he shot a 12 year old boy in the head saying "Well, he was nice, so we should cut him slack."

She's a criminal, and by her own admission, she was disrespecting the people that are there trying to keep Oshkosh safe for everyone. That's disgusting, and reprehensible.

To accuse an officer of having AIDS, to call them pigs? How far does she have to go before you'll say "Dang, that was messed up!"

I seriously doubt if, even after a year of rust builds up, either of us would be better than her.
Well, luckily, at least, I don't have to worry about her driving anywhere near me when she's half or fully cocked.

Yep. On some days I'm actually a nice person, for example, but most people just know me as the ass that I am. ;)

Believe me, I'm the same. I can put off a pretty nice vibe, but man, I can be a real ass when I have to be. I think that's why the ladies love me :D

Given the kind of flying that they do, this isn't the least bit surprising. I haven't spent that much time around them in that setting.

Maybe not surprising, but I don't know that I'd say acceptable. I used to drink that too...in High School. But then I grew up. Apparently people like Patty never did.

Back