What good is my AOPA membership?

I am always surprised when I see PILOTS taking an PILOT organization like AOPA to task for employing the use of a business jet. If an aviation advocacy group like AOPA cannot fly a biz jet, who should? Sad to see the White House campaign of class warfare dividing even pilots among pilots.

And for those who disregard the magazine because "it's all jets," or "it's not the kind of flying I do" clearly are not reading it.

And finally, if you subscribe to the "they have a legal plan that no smart pilot would ever need" theory, you must not fly anywhere near Washington, DC.

I'm not here to say that the organization is perfect, but I do think we'd miss them. I like to think if them like a good bass player in a band. You don't always hear it, but when it's gone you know it's gone.

Me, personally, I'm a member as well as EAA.

And finally, if you subscribe to the "they have a legal plan that no smart pilot would ever need" theory, you must not fly anywhere near Washington, DC.

Or flying gliders anywhere near nuclear power plants.

Jeff Skiles was talking about how EAA was taking flack for not concentrating enough on experimentals in the EAA magazine, so that sort of complaint isn't limited to AOPA!

I am always surprised when I see PILOTS taking an PILOT organization like AOPA to task for employing the use of a business jet. If an aviation advocacy group like AOPA cannot fly a biz jet, who should? Sad to see the White House campaign of class warfare dividing even pilots among pilots.

And for those who disregard the magazine because "it's all jets," or "it's not the kind of flying I do" clearly are not reading it.

I'm not here to say that the organization is perfect, but I do think we'd miss them. I like to think if them like a good bass player in a band. You don't always hear it, but when it's gone you know it's gone.

Me, personally, I'm a member as well as EAA.

I hate the magazine. Naw I just don't seem to have time to read it anymore. I still think there are too many Jet A burners featured.

The insurance sucks. Actually I went with one of the group life insurance products after finding that I have a hard-to-write risk factor outside of flying that made other options much less competitive. Still use AVEMCO though.

Don't get me started on the credit card. I hate BofA though thanks to my wife and her numerous friends still in AK and her insistence on an Alaskan Airlines FF miles card, I have a business relationship :vomit:.

So...

The legal services plan.

The free NACO charts. With Foreflight, not really needed.

The red board (it DOES have its uses.)

Occasional cheaper rates on a rental car.

Umm...

Advocacy I suppose...(which I don't dismiss too flippantly.)

The free cheapo flight bag that rips after three weeks? The ball cap that only fits children under twelve, dwarves and pinheads? Don't seem get any of these things sent to me anymore :dunno:

1/420,000 share in a corporate jet? Subsequently found out that the AOPA air force is much larger than just one jet.

Don't forget the buggy flight planner - again, Foreflight...

I wanted to revise my now-five-year-old reaction, above :wink2:

I truly believe that if it was not for AOPA I would still be at KISZ. Not once cent, ever again.

Back