What Gear Should I Buy?

86Aviator

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
86Aviator
I searched the board, but did not find anything on this topic. All the same, my apologies if this has been covered. I'm fairly early on in my PPL training and looking to start buying whatever "gear" I'll need as I complete my training and after I earn my ticket. This is more than a "what's in your flight bag" type question, and more of a "no, really, why should I buy?" type query.

I've posted some of my training history before; I'm confident that I'll complete my training and one of the strategies for doing so is to invest enough money that it becomes hard to break away for some reason. Hell or high water. So, I'm comfortable spending some money here.

So far, I've bought the following:

- Sporty's Crosswind Bag
- David Clark H10 13.3 Headset (threat of pandemic taught me that I should stop using the flight school's headset sooner rather than later - plus, man, the quality is so much better)
- iPad Mini (bought just for aviation so I never have to remember to pack it - still learning how to use Foreflight, though)
- Various training books (Gleim course, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, ACS)

Looking to grab a kneeboard for my iPad before my next lesson on Saturday. At some point, I guess I'll need things like a flashlight, backup radio, backup GPS (or at least a receiver for Foreflight) - but that's where I start drawing a blank. I rent a PA-28-181, so it has a Gats jar, chocks, a cover, and the flight school's "enhanced" checklist - all the other stuff. What else is nice or helpful to have? Ownership is probably in a 5 year time horizon, so whatever is nice for an owner but not a renter is a bridge to cross when I get to it.

Thanks for any advice.

You've already got twice as much stuff as I carry. :)

Headset, iPad. Done.

Sporty's Catalog has all of the things that you need to accessorize the pilot lifestyle. I don't think they stock big jangly watches, but that's a classic :D

I searched the board, but did not find anything on this topic. All the same, my apologies if this has been covered. I'm fairly early on in my PPL training and looking to start buying whatever "gear" I'll need as I complete my training and after I earn my ticket. This is more than a "what's in your flight bag" type question, and more of a "no, really, why should I buy?" type query.

I've posted some of my training history before; I'm confident that I'll complete my training and one of the strategies for doing so is to invest enough money that it becomes hard to break away for some reason. Hell or high water. So, I'm comfortable spending some money here.

- Sporty's Crosswind Bag
- David Clark H10 13.3 Headset (threat of pandemic taught me that I should stop using the flight school's headset sooner rather than later - plus, man, the quality is so much better)
- iPad Mini (bought just for aviation so I never have to remember to pack it - still learning how to use Foreflight, though)
- Various training books (Gleim course, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, ACS)

Looking to grab a kneeboard for my iPad before my next lesson on Saturday. At some point, I guess I'll need things like a flashlight, backup radio, backup GPS (or at least a receiver for Foreflight) - but that's where I start drawing a blank. I rent a PA-28-181, so it has a Gats jar, chocks, a cover, and the flight school's "enhanced" checklist - all the other stuff. What else is nice or helpful to have? Ownership is probably in a 5 year time horizon, so whatever is nice for an owner but not a renter is a bridge to cross when I get to it.

Thanks for any advice.

That's a pretty good list that you've started with, and I agree with the kneeboard (or a yoke mount for the mini, plus a kneeboard for writing) and flashlight. You'll want multiple light sources before you start your night training, and one or more hand-free red lights quickly available in the cockpit are a good idea. I really like the red LED bars that fit under the brim of a cap.

You can probably slow down on the purchases at that point. I think most student pilots, and I include myself in that count back in the day, tend to overbuy gadgets that don't see much use. I did get a backup radio early on, but that was mostly because I'm based under the NY Bravo and the thought of a radio failure there made me nervous...but as a student it's also handy for listening in, to get more comfortable with radio communication when you're not also trying to fly the plane (but LiveATC can do the same for you, for free!)

Thanks, both. Appreciate the responses. I'm based at PDK, so like @GaryM , the threat of radio failure under the Atlanta Bravo keeps me up at night, too. To date myself a little bit, when I was a kid (before there was a LiveATC or the internet, and the dinosaurs were still updating their final wills and testaments), I actually had a scanner from Radio Shack so I could listen in to air traffic control. Saved up the $20 a week or so I earned mowing lawns to buy it. Such a good idea to start getting back in the habit of listening in again.

E6B, maybe. You can buy the handheld one from Sportys for like $65, or you can get the same functionality from their E6B app for $9 on the App Store. I do carry a backup radio---Yaesu FTA550. It does the usual comm stuff but also hits the VORs and offers an OBS. You can navigate with the thing or track a localizer...sheesh. I didn't really need the next model up which also offers glide slope, or the one above that which will track GPS.

Didn't @SixPapaCharlie do a video of what needs to be in a flight bag? I think he did. Check the YouTube channel of "Just Plane Silly" and you'll find it.

Travel johns, flashlight w/ red light, and lots of snacks. Where at PDK are you training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Tend to do more cross country than anything so I also have a battery pack/charger for the iPad and/iPhone and a charging cord. It can also power my Garmin GDL 39 3d and the backup Garmin Glo. I’ve had occasion to use it when my iPad went flat. Plus, if you are camping, you can charge your devices without finding a charging station. I also carry spare batteries for anything that takes AA, AAA or 9 volt which includes my handheld radio. My Lightspeed PFX headset eats batteries like candy and more than once I’ve had to change them mid flight.

If you want to spend some money, buy/build a Stratux or equivalent that will give you ADS-B In

My accessories for PPL IFR rated flying a 182
Zulu 3 With extra batteries
iPad
Stratus 3
Sensicor CO detector
Flashlight for flight
Handheld radio
23000mAh jump charger
bkool cooling system

not everything goes on every flight obviously. Got license in 2000 and still rocking the crappy cloth standard POS flight bag.

Agree with the Stratus to go along with the Ipad. Not sure about your model headset but my DC Pro X connects via blue tooth and Foreflight will give me audio alerts to traffic. I wore the kneeboard my first 2 lessons, then ditched it. I found it would interfere when pulling back the yoke. I use the Foreflight scratchpad. Easy & one less thing to carry.

I'd ditch the DC you have and buy either a good in-the-ear (Halo, Clarity Aloft) or ANR headset. A good, well-fitting headset would always be the FIRST thing I'd recommend for a pilot whose determined to continue flying after the first bunch of lessons.

When buying a flashlight, get one that can be adjusted to be DIM. You don't need one of these six-million lumen LED jobs for the cockpit. You'll kill your night vision. There's a lot of argument about red lenses, but frankly DIM is more important than color.

If you're going to rely on the iPad for things, I'd recommend getting a backup battery for things. Even then remember that iPads are notorious for just shutting down in the heat. If you have an iPhone, make sure you have foreflight installed on that and kept up to date at least for the local area.

A Stratux (a cheap raspberry pi based ADSB in device) will provide both GPS and some other services for your iPad.

Don't forget a small notebook or pad and some pens (or pencils). Great for copying clearances (more important once you start instrument training, but if you visit class B/C airports it will come in handy). You can keep all the fancy flight planning forms in my opinion. You can do all you need on a simple small piece of paper once you're free of the instructional environment.

It's also important to maintain currency (I mean $20 bills or the like, and/or a credit card) handy.

If the plane that you are renting doesn't come with a rudimentary tool kit, I'd carry something handy like a leatherman (or one of the knockoffs). It's amazing how many time a pair of pliers, a knife, or a screwdriver will save the day.

I'd ditch the DC you have and buy either a good in-the-ear (Halo, Clarity Aloft) or ANR headset. A good, well-fitting headset would always be the FIRST thing I'd recommend for a pilot whose determined to continue flying after the first bunch of lessons.

When buying a flashlight, get one that can be adjusted to be DIM. You don't need one of these six-million lumen LED jobs for the cockpit. You'll kill your night vision. There's a lot of argument about red lenses, but frankly DIM is more important than color.

If you're going to rely on the iPad for things, I'd recommend getting a backup battery for things. Even then remember that iPads are notorious for just shutting down in the heat. If you have an iPhone, make sure you have foreflight installed on that and kept up to date at least for the local area.

A Stratux (a cheap raspberry pi based ADSB in device) will provide both GPS and some other services for your iPad.

Don't forget a small notebook or pad and some pens (or pencils). Great for copying clearances (more important once you start instrument training, but if you visit class B/C airports it will come in handy). You can keep all the fancy flight planning forms in my opinion. You can do all you need on a simple small piece of paper once you're free of the instructional environment.

It's also important to maintain currency (I mean $20 bills or the like, and/or a credit card) handy.

If the plane that you are renting doesn't come with a rudimentary tool kit, I'd carry something handy like a leatherman (or one of the knockoffs). It's amazing how many time a pair of pliers, a knife, or a screwdriver will save the day.

Besides the multi-tool, have an escape tool - a knife with a feature on the handle for punching out a window, an integral seatbelt cutter, and a long sharp, blade for stabbing the CFI that let you crash.

The ADSB-In can come from a DIY version to over $600. Anyone of them is great for getting good SA on your iPad. I use a RAM Suction mount for the iPad rather than a kneepad most of the time. A kneepad from any Pilot Store range in price all over the place. I sometimes use mine on long cross countries for jotting down info but mostly keep a list of Freq and other stuff on a page in ForeFlight, print a copy and then clip it to the panel.

Good luck

Cheers

You should probably get one of these to stick in the back window of your car so if you are driving down the center stripe at least people will know what is going on with your brain. ;)
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Wait, this was supposed to be useful? That's no fun!

A mini flashlight, usb cigarette charger for future cross country trips to plug the iPad in.

I bought the fancy hand held radio with gps/vor/ils.... capabilities. Thought maybe that was a little bit overboard. 5 flights later lost the electrical system, came in pretty handy although I did not need the nav functions at the time.

Travel johns, flashlight w/ red light, and lots of snacks. Where at PDK are you training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skybound. So far it's been alright, although my CFI is really why I'm there. Great guy.

Parachute. You should definitely invest in a quality parachute.

Ha! My wife found out about the airframe parachute on a Cirrus and is completely mystified why I wouldn't just train in one of those.

You should probably get one of these to stick in the back window of your car so if you are driving down the center stripe at least people will know what is going on with your brain. ;)
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Wait, this was supposed to be useful? That's no fun!

That's a must!

Thanks all for the really helpful suggestions. This is great. The multi-tool is one I definitely wouldn't have thought of, and obviously there's a lot of other good suggestions above, too.

Who would have thought that there is always something to spend money on in aviation??? :D

Less is more, but almost no student pilot is able to live up to that, especially if they have gadget-itis.

And don't just think about yourself. It's nice to pick up a few small gifts to present to your CFI from time to time. A whiskey flask, a bong, a crack pipe,.... You know, those little thing that will make it easier for him to fly with you.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I always carry a good knife with a glass breaker and seatbelt cutter on my person. In the event of an off field landing it’s secured to me in a way that it won’t go anywhere during the event and it’s my lifeline for escape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

And don't just think about yourself. It's nice to pick up a few small gifts to present to your CFI from time to time. A whiskey flask, a bong, a crack pipe,.... You know, those little thing that will make it easier for him to fly with you.

Ha! Neither of us is a smoker, but when he first introducing me to landings I felt like I should have just brought him a pack anyway. Happy to report things are better - out of six touch and goes this morning, four of those are now in my top 5 best landings. Clearly, the gadget-itus has bought me some progress! ;)

I am shocked, shocked I say, that no one has yet mentioned Ray Ban sunglasses or an IWC wristwatch. What has happened to this forum? We should all be ashamed.

Daughter bought me the glasses and silk scarf. I'm set.
My mother bought me and Margy silk scarves early on. The need is largely lost because the oil leaks in the Navion don't usually get inside. Hydraulic fluid on the other hand...

Thanks all for the really helpful suggestions. This is great. The multi-tool is one I definitely wouldn't have thought of, and obviously there's a lot of other good suggestions above, too.

Who would have thought that there is always something to spend money on in aviation??? :D
The best way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start with a large one.

- Sporty's Crosswind Bag

Thanks for any advice.

I didn't see where you live, but perhaps a nice set of gloves for winter pre-flighting would be nice.

You can ways spot the new pilot, with the 50lb duffel bag/flight bag full of books, gizmos, and gadgets. Hope they remember it on their W&B.

Personally I have my headset, and if going somewhere my iPad mini. And the sunglasses on my head.

Gloves are a very nice accessory during winter preflights!

Otherwise in my bag (this tool bag in it's previous life) is my logbook, my car keys, my driver's license, a pen and a pencil, a notepad, my paper E6B, my sunglasses, my medical and my student license. And I need a blanket and a pillow to put behind my back because I am really short. The blanket goes in the bag, but the throw pillow doesn't fit. I get to walk all over the airport with a pillow under my arm! The advantage to that would be if I ever get stuck overnight somewhere, I'll have a pillow and a blanket. ;)

The easiest way to not be that new pilot with all the gear is being unable to afford it. Flying is still really fun even without the cool gear, though! :)

I actually have a friend who has knit me tailor-made leg-warmers, arm warmers, and a hat for flying in winter or at higher altitudes. So, I'm basically the most stylin' student in the club.

What I can say about regular gear though is DON'T SKIMP. Seems like you've got a solid headset already. But when I first started my training, I bought the cheapest one I could. Now I find myself battling the stick to get into the floor compartment to find the screwdriver mid-flight just to tighten the screw on the mic so it won't constantly fall down. Not a productive way to spend a lesson.

What I fly with -

two flashlights, DC headset, kneeboard, iPad. I feel like that is overkill.

If the plane I’m in doesn’t have a Stratus, I also bring my Pi based stratux.

Back