What experimental similar to Cub or Champ?

Punkinhead

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Punkinhead
I've had a J3 for about 10 years. Our local A&P/IA "retired" several years ago but still works with a few of us. I suspect he'll totally hang it up soon and finding another A&P who's easy to work with in my area is going to be very difficult so I'd like to move to experimental so I can do my own maintenance. I'd like another low and slow taildragger similar to a Cub or Champ. My wife can still climb in and out of the front seat of our Cub but it gets harder every year so I'd like something a little roomier and with easier ingress/egress. Tandem or side by side seating is fine and "upgrading" to something with a little more power (like a Citabria) is OK too but not really necessary. A biplane might be cool if it has canopies for 3-season flying.

I'm not interested in building so I'd like something already flying for the same or less than the value of my Cub (under $45-50k). What's out there in the used experimental world?

Realistic options for flying aircraft: Cub Crafters, Legend Aircraft, Rans, Bearhawk, and Kitfox. Fishers and Wittmans might be an option and also Glastar.

Last edited:
Realistic options for flying aircraft: Cub Crafters, Legend Aircraft, Rans, Bearhawk, and Kitfox. Fishers and Wittmans might be an option and also Glastar.

Chances of finding one of those in flying condition for under $45K? Slim and none. And not being the builder will require an annual condition inspection and sign-off by an A&P.

Chances of finding one of those in flying condition for under $45K? Slim and none. And not being the builder will require an annual condition inspection and sign-off by an A&P.

Don’t disagree with you on the price point, but IMO those are the makes someone is most likely to find on the used market. There’s no such thing as a free lunch.

If you want "Cub like" there are homebuilt Cub clones like Wag-Aero's Cuby, there's also their Wag-A-Bond. For biplanes, the Hatz is the most Cub like. I've never seen one with a closed canopy, though I'm sure it could be done. Most of the other sport biplanes are faster and decidedly not Cub like.

Highlander or Escapade

My wife can still climb in and out of the front seat of our Cub but it gets harder every year so I'd like something a little roomier and with easier ingress/egress. Tandem or side by side seating is fine [...] A biplane might be cool if it has canopies for 3-season flying.
If the front of a Cub is hard, many (most?) biplanes in the sub $50K may be worse... An exception would be something like a Hyperbipe but those are likely a bit on the pricey side.

Avid Flyers, early Kitfox, Rans... are Cub like in performance - somewhat awkward to get in and out - you would have to try. My Merlin GT has more room inside and I made the passenger stick removable to make it easy to get in and out on the right but their ain't many of these around. (FWIW I paid $20K, but she ain't no beauty queen.)

Nothing wrong with a Rotax 912/914 as far as reliability and performance are concerned (at least as compared to a Lycoming / Continental).

It might be possible to pick up a Zenith 750 for that price. Not exactly cub-like, but roomy and great low & slow. Great visibility, very solid feel when flying, easy to maintain.

FWIW, guy I knew that took primary flight training when I did, and we both flew cubs, bought a Champ shortly after. He loved it and said it was a bit roomier and easier to get into. So second hand info, but I'm sure he was sincere. I'd guess he was mid 50's, about my size, or around 6'/200 lbs. I think there may be less climbing than getting into a cub, but that part is a guess. Years ago Champs were less expensive than similar shape Cubs, for whatever reason.

FWIW, guy I knew that took primary flight training when I did, and we both flew cubs, bought a Champ shortly after. He loved it and said it was a bit roomier and easier to get into. So second hand info, but I'm sure he was sincere. I'd guess he was mid 50's, about my size, or around 6'/200 lbs. I think there may be less climbing than getting into a cub, but that part is a guess. Years ago Champs were less expensive than similar shape Cubs, for whatever reason.
Yes, Champs are roomier and easier to get in and out of than a Cub at about half the price. They fly and land pretty similar to a Cub other than you solo from the front seat. If I wanted to stay with a certified aircraft it's what I'd buy. I'd love to find something equivalent to a Champ in an experimental.

The problem (which is the same for WagAero, etc) is finding one already flying for sale.
What some people have done is look up the aircraft registry and send a bunch of postcards asking if any of them want to sell.

I re-read your first post. You might be able to get a nicer certified aircraft for enough less than an experimental to pay for flying to, or having an a&p fly to you, for maintenance. Partly I say that because I'd be way more likely to trust a 50+ year old certified aircraft than a 20 year old experimental, partly because DIY maintenance, but more because I trust gas welded steel tubing to last 50 years with good maintenance more than I do carbon fiber/epoxy. That's just me, though, I'm a bit old fashioned...or maybe risk adverse in construction techniques.

I'd be way more likely to trust a 50+ year old certified aircraft than a 20 year old experimental, partly because DIY maintenance, but more because I trust gas welded steel tubing to last 50 years with good maintenance more than I do carbon fiber/epoxy.

Most of the experimentals mentioned here are welded steel tubing...

You can do your own maintenance on any experimental, but you still need an A&P for a condition inspection.
For you to do your own sign-off, you need to have a Special Light Sport (SLSA) and take the 3 week course or an Experimental Light Sport and take the 16 hour course. I think the chances of finding an SLSA or ELSA in a Cub-like configuration are slim and none. Plenty of E-AB, but few SLSA or ELSA in your configuration or price range.
Consider looking into SLSA like a Flight Design CTSW, convert it to ELSA, take the 16 hour course and do your own sign-off.

I have a medical so don't need an LSA. I know about the condition inspection and don't think I'd have any problems finding an A&P once a year. I just don't want to depend on an A&P for every maintenance item throughout the year, especially when we have no on field maintenance.

Funny you mention that. I was at a hangar party yesterday and a friend also suggested the Christavia. I don't see any for sale at the moment but I'll keep an eye open.
I think one sold in the last two weeks...

I have a medical so don't need an LSA. I know about the condition inspection and don't think I'd have any problems finding an A&P once a year. I just don't want to depend on an A&P for every maintenance item throughout the year, especially when we have no on field maintenance.

Take a look at the maintenance rules for SLSAs and ELSAs. For ELSAs a 25 hour course will allow you to sign off the condition inspection and with SLSAs it's a 15 day course.

Having said that, the Coleal Interpretation opens up own maintenance quite broadly. You may be able to do most of the work that you are relying on your A&P for on your Cub.

Mike Busch cited it often when talking about the A&P shortage. AOPA published an article of his about it a few years ago.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/october/pilot/savvy-aviator-preventive-maintenance

You can do your own maintenance on any experimental, but you still need an A&P for a condition inspection.
I know the OP said he's not interested in building but the builder of an E-AB can get the repairman certificate to do his own condition inspection.

There's a big difference in ease of getting into or out of a Cub or Champ. Champ is way more friendly that way. The Christavia is a Champ knockoff.

Look at the differences in where the wing struts attach to the fuselage, and what sort of a step there is, and where is the bottom of the door.

Piper Cub:

1689008495689.png

You have to climb over those struts and into the aft end of that high-threshold door. Not supposed to step on the struts, or you can crack the attachment lugs. You'd better be fairly flexible and agile.

Christavia/Champ/Citabria:

1689008919171.png

The struts attach ahead of the door, out of the way. The door threshold is lower, and there's a more convenient step. Easy to get in.

Take a look at the maintenance rules for SLSAs and ELSAs. For ELSAs a 25 hour course will allow you to sign off the condition inspection and with SLSAs it's a 15 day course.
It's a 16 hour course for Light Sport Repairman certificate with Inspection rating (LSR-I) which allows you to perform the condition inspection on an E-LSA that you own. That's the 2-day course; I took it a few years ago.

The 120 hour (for airplane) Light Sport Repairman certificate with Maintenance rating (LSR-M) allows you to preform maintenance, repairs, and inspections on any E- or S-LSA of the class for which you're trained. That's the 15 day Rainbow Aviation course.

A very different direction:

I also wanted “low and slow” and was headed down the Cub, etc path - until I test-flew a gyro at OSH. The speeds are about the same and it’s much better to think of it as a “Cub with a spinning wing” than a “small helicopter”.

I park mine in front of the left wing of my Warrior - it’s that small.

I built it in Italy - in under a week. My wife spent her days in Milan while I was in the factory.

While mine is a very open tandem Magni M-16, their M-24 is enclosed and side-by-side. I have about $90K into mine and an M-24 is about $100-110K. Not many LSAs in that price range.

As in another thread, the gyro does remarkably well in gusts. I flew an Apollo Fox and got tossed around a lot. Not so with the gyro.

I LOVE rooting around low and slow in my Magni.

Just a thought…

Back