What EFB suite do you use?

• Total voters

BellyUpFish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Backtothesand
Just data mining here. Curiosity.

Not looking for "my software is longer than your software" type thread, but if you'd like to tell us how long your software is, sure, go ahead...

I have a subscription to FlyQ for my iPad, mainly because it was one of a limited number that would talk to my Dual 170 GPS unit. Works great (for me) but the battery life sucks. The iPad is drained within two hours!
(Would not matter if I had an electrical system in the Luscombe, but I don't.) I've since acquired an Android tablet and use FltPlanGo on it. Great for situational awareness, and getting more features as time goes by. FWIW, I never saw any ADS-B traffic with FlyQ, but FPG consistently shows traffic. It even shows traffic on the ground. The tablet's battery is good for five hours or so.

Avare but I only use it on long VFR X countries. Since I do maybe 1 XC a month, I rarely use my EFB.

Fltplan.com for filing and calculating fuel and time

Foreflight SV Pro for everything else

I have been using WingX since 2011. They offer more features for the money in the base version of the software than the other competitors.

Wing X was cool, but even getting the app for free as a CFI, I ended up deleting it and keeping foreflight. Foreflight really is the 800lb gorilla for EFBs, once you really digging into it has lots of features and much more polish which are lacking in WingX

Last edited:
I currently use Foreflight but I have been trying out Aerovie lately too.

I agree if you are talking about the full pro/IFR version of Foreflight. The base version of Foreflight does not even come close to the base version of WingX though.

I agree if you are talking about the full pro/IFR version of Foreflight. The base version of Foreflight does not even come close to the base version of WingX though.

ForeFlight Basic is still far superior to WingX in accuracy, ease of use, and overall polish, which for me is critical for use in flight. Hilton doesn't seem to think those things matter as much, at least when it comes to selling his product. However, WingX has had some features (such as a vector map) for years, which ForeFlight has frustratingly failed to implement. I still think that WingX and ForeFlight are focused on different target audiences.

I still have a Garmin 396 on the yoke, which I purchased shortly after its release and is still reliably ticking after several years. Though all of the EFB products outclass it in features, none of them are nearly as good for navigation and in-aircraft use. When I need to navigate, the 396 is ALWAYS the device I reach for first despite its lack of "touch screen" data entry. It's never shut down in the heat, and I've never accidentally entered the wrong waypoint or enabled the wrong function because I hit the wrong part of the screen.

JKG

Both ForeFlight and FltPlanGo for all of my flights.

I love trying out all the various apps. That said 95% of the time I run iFly on my Android tablet, and run Xavion on my iPad at the same time. I have iFly mounted on my yoke and Xavion is mounted on the far right side of the cockpit angled towards me, but out of the way. I like the combination of the two, with Xavion showing synthetic vision and audibly calling out things like traffic and reminding me to put the gear down.

I WAS using ForeFlight but as I'm a fair weather VFR pilot (no place I gotta be and I got all day to get there) I found foreflight a bit too much for the kind of flying I do. I'm trying out the Jeppesen VFR Flight Deck.

ForeFlight; a pilot friend uses WingX, and we've informally compared them, ground and in flight. . .I could see using either. Pretty easy navigation, and you can ignore the features you don't use (filing and weather, in my case) without a lot of effort.

I stick with Foreflight, as I started with it, and don't see a compelling reason to change, having invested brain cycles in it.

I think if starting from scratch, either would be solid choices.

Agree....but the Pro version is such a small percentage point of my annual aviation budget I just go with the best and call it a day.

"...and overall polish"

Yes that overall polish keeps raising the iOS min requirement to maintain that polish, which in turn drives some people to buy iPads that support the iOS requirement.

"...and overall polish"

Yes that overall polish keeps raising the iOS min requirement to maintain that polish, which in turn drives some people to buy iPads that support the iOS requirement.

I'm not talking translucent Windows and fading menu transitions, it's the polish the program has had even from versions and versions ago.

The biggest thing Id like to see would be a diffrent button for airmets and sigmets, having my important sigmets meshed together with the often not so important airmets, not something I like. Also being able to pull up drontams (UAS notams) like skyvector would be nice, don't see how these types of things require crazy hardware or new iOSs.

Heck I'd be cool with them taking out all the flight plan stuff, it's sucked since day one compared to fltplan, to the point of being somewhat useless.

"...and overall polish"

Polish refers to the fact that significant effort is placed on attention to detail and the overall user experience. The quality of the user experience is completely unrelated to feature set. AnywhereMap had a revolutionary capability and feature set in its day, but in reality it was never more than one man's perpetual science project. WingX isn't nearly that bad, but it has the same type of vibe and I've almost begged Hilton to clean up the rough edges, but there always seemed to be a greater focus on features than polishing out the rough spots. For me, the details matter.

With that said, I have no issues running the latest version of FF on a 4 year old iPad 3. The iPad 3 won't support the upcoming iOS 10, but I suspect that it will be a while after release that iOS 10 will be a minimum requirement for FF. So 4-5 years of use for a $600 piece of electronic hardware that's done a whole lot more than run FF--not a bad investment in my mind.

JKG

So style over substance then.

I have used foreflight on the iPad since it came out, I used it instructing and use it on my personal iPad flying my plane

however at work our iPads are loaded with jeppesen flight deck pro, while a good product, and sure beats carrying the paper charts, I still find ForeFlight far superior

Naviator on Android. Does all that I need for single pilot IFR, although routings are still not yet up to Fltplan Go (really Fltplan.com).

I don't think you're smelling what I'm stepping in here.

It's not "style" it's having FF be more intuitive, having buttons grouped in a logical order, maximizing your screen real estate for what you really need, that type of thing.

Last edited:
I don't think you're smelling what I'm stepping in here.

It's not "style" it's having his be more intuitive, having buttons grouped in a logical order, maximizing your screen real estate for what you really need, that type of thing.

Kinda what it boils down to for me as well.

I've tried to like ForeFlight, I just can't.

Garmin Pilot, I instantly liked the first time I picked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda what it boils down to for me as well.

I've tried to like ForeFlight, I just can't.

Garmin Pilot, I instantly liked the first time I picked it up.

Which is what's great about having options, even though I think FF is by far the best for me, WingX or Garmin might work with how you do things far better.

Just like high wing low wing, or taildragger to trike, what works great for one mans mission might suck for another's.

Color me "Other": I've been using iFlyGPS on multiple platforms for several years.

Which is what's great about having options, even though I think FF is by far the best for me, WingX or Garmin might work with how you do things far better.

Just like high wing low wing, or taildragger to trike, what works great for one mans mission might suck for another's.

I wish I could get into ForeFlight. I'd like to build an ADSB receiver and Garmin doesn't share their info or whatever.

Any idea if WingX does?

I have used both Garmin and Foreflight in the past and I am playing around with Aerovie and FltPlanGo. Aerovie is really impressing me so far as it has a UI that is very similar to Garmin and FF but is not quite as polished yet. It is the same price point so until they clean it up I would go with one of the other two.

Still I recommend checking it out. They have a 30 trial but also offer a monthly subscription for $8/month.

Aerovie appears to have potential!

Only if your definition of "style" includes accuracy of functionality and dataset.

The reality is that ease of use (what may legitimately be classified as "style") is incredibly important for workload reduction in the cockpit. FF and GP have had the best workflows I've seen, but the last time I looked at GP dataset accuracy was still a problem.

Quality > quantity for inflight use.

JKG

I completely agree although it does seem to be a knock off of FF and GP it at least has the ease of use and a good UI compared to the free ones.

I use both FF and Aerovie and in my opinion Aerovie is vastly superior in pre-flight planning (especially a few days out with really great wind, icing and convection forecasting - including vertical flight plan tool) while Foreflight is better in flight (in part because I have a Stratus2 and it only works with FF). Both are phenomenal tools when you think of the capability for $$ compared to what we had 5 years ago.

I use both FF and Aerovie and in my opinion Aerovie is vastly superior in pre-flight planning (especially a few days out with really great wind, icing and convection forecasting - including vertical flight plan tool) while Foreflight is better in flight (in part because I have a Stratus2 and it only works with FF). Both are phenomenal tools when you think of the capability for $$ compared to what we had 5 years ago.

Ditto, Foreflight/Aerovie for pre-flight planning and Foreflight in flight with the Stratus 2s

What does Aerovie use for ADSB?

Just downloaded aerovie today for this first time and the first thing that jumped into my mind was it's a FF clone. Played with it for a while, found it a bit unresponsive to touch sometimes and the text in the pop up windows for example, airport information, was too small to read

Will take it up this weekend and see how it performs in action. Vector mapping is good.

Since you resurrected an old thread, I use DroidEFB on my tablet.

+1 for iFly on two iPads. IMHO, the most intuitive EFB. Not the most feature rich, but what it does it does well and stable.

Just downloaded aerovie today for this first time and the first thing that jumped into my mind was it's a FF clone. Played with it for a while, found it a bit unresponsive to touch sometimes and the text in the pop up windows for example, airport information, was too small to read

Will take it up this weekend and see how it performs in action. Vector mapping is good.

What iPad or iPhone generation were you testing on? It's possible it was doing some preloading during first install but if it continues to be slow I'd love to learn more. My email is: bryanh@aerovie.com

If any text is too small let me know which text and we will be happy to improve this.

The app is heavily focused on preflight weather and contains features found nowhere else.

Thanks for trying Aerovie!

Back